1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me buy my first plasma!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sully99, Jun 27, 2005.

1. sully99

sully99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. :hiya:

I'm really sorry to ask this as I reckon you lot must have answered this question a thousand times by now, but I need help before I go mad! :suicide:

I'm brand spanking new to all this plasma malarky but as I've just bought my first flat the first thing I want to buy is obviously a big tv! (I also need sofas, a fridge and a bed, but i have to get my priorities right)!

I've tried to read some of the past threads on here but its all a bunch of gibberish to me! I don't even understand half (if not all) the abbreviations! I'm so confused! :confused:

Here is my question, I'd like a 42" plasma, but i'm on a VERY tight budget as I need to buy everything else in the flat too. Can someone advise me IN PLAIN ENGLISH what I should go for? From previous threads it seems the Panasonic PW6/7 is fave, but to be perfectly honest it's a little out of my price range at the moment. I have seen the Philips 42PF9946 for £1049.99 so this is looking awfully good!

What else do i need? I see a lot of talk about tuners and boards, what are these and why do i need them? I (stupidly) assumed you just unpack the screen and plug it in like a normal TV! I will be using the TV with sky, a PS2, and a DVD player. I was also thinking of getting a 5.1 surround sound home cinema system too. (thats the washing machine out the window)!

Is there anything available thats just 'plug and play' that i could connect all my goodies too? I suppose if i buy an airbed and sleeping bag i could stretch my budget to the panasonic, but is it worth the extra £1000?

Answers on a postcard please, (no tech speak)! :lesson:

Thank you all.

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    where do you get an extra £1000 from.....pwd7 available below £1300 now....Std def of course but sound slike you are not in teh market for hi def yet......you can get a decent enough amp for under £200 and canton cd1 5.q speakers for about £240

3. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Concur.
    Everyone says PWD7 :smashin:
    I can't advise on the boards, but no doubt someone will.
    I saw a deal for the PWD7 that comes with scart board.
    I know nothing about the Philips, so can't comment.
    Best advice, IMO, is go and see it.

Connectivety is a problem,I agree.
    But the people on here will put you right. :thumbsup:

Try E-bay for the 5.1 etc :thumbsup:
    Even cheap stuff will be better than standard tele rubbish, IMO , but don't go rock bottom.

Don't buy TINY, as tempting as it looks!!!!!

4. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    sully, when do you need it? Because with the new HD Ready TV's coming out more and more, I think the SD models, will get a price ahck.

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    don't bother with ebay when you can get cantons for £240 through the forum (Jake James in the speaker section)....they reatil for For between £400 and £500 elsewhere

6. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Mep,
    I know what you're saying :thumbsup:
    But the bloke is on a budget!!!!!

£250 speakers won't be helpful, IMO

Stop thinking great and think of something that will work (reasonably) :thumbsup:

Actually, it broke my heart to spend £2000 on a telly.
    I'd love to know the solution for a cheap (£300) setup for 5.1 :confused:

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    badger...fair point but not sure what you get for less?....could be a false economy?

8. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Mmm... get a TV for now and save up for a 5.1!

By the sounds of it, you moved into a new flat, so dont waste your money, if you ahve lived without 5.1, then Im sure you can survive a few months (or however long it takes you to save up).

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    not a bad idea either...could always get a pwd7 with a couple of stereo speakes for now....may be able to work them into a 5.1 set up further down the road

10. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Yep, when you need them by?

11. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I would go with that :thumbsup:

Again depends on the budget, which sounds a bit tight.

Any 5.1 is better than stereo, IMO.

If you can afford to throw £100 away in a year's time, I'd plump for 5.1 now!!!!

Then upgrade to the pukka stuff, as and when (the position I'm in now) :thumbsup:

12. sully99

sully99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, thanks for your replies, and so fast too!

In answer to a couple of questions raised (and to raise a few of my own),

I got the 2k price tag for the PWD7 from another post on here, but i may have misread that, or it may have been old! Whats the real difference between Hi def and Std def, is it really noticable if I've never had a plasma before, and will I regret bying a std def?

Badger 0-0; This may make me look like a tool but what exactly is a scart board and why do i need it? I know what scart sockets are, i'm guessing its so I can plug my dvd, ps2 etc in to the screen right? Does this mean there are no scarts on a plasma?
    I wont buy tiny, i've heard all about their quality in general, but thanks for the warning anyway! :thumbsup:

ashmufc; As far as the question of when i need it i would say within the next 4-6 weeks. Do you think there will be a price drop in the Std def in this period? and good point about not needing 5.1 setup yet but i am just concerned that I buy a screen that i will not be able to later add 5.1 without replacing any bits I've already bought (or is 5.1 a pretty universal thing)?

mep; what on earth is a canton? :confused:

Once again guys, thanks for your help as you can tell i'm a complete plasma (or anything tech) virgin! all your comments and advice are more than welcome!

13. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    http://www.canton.de/www/index.php4?pg_id=14,30,moviecd1,2,en have a look mate.

and with regards to scart boards..if you buy a pwd7 the only standard connection is vga (like a pc monitor 15 pin) a scart board as you surmise allows you to connect scart and teh boards are very easily fitted...literally push them in and tighten a few screws up. You could connect all your equipment via one scart board and using a scart splitter....plug everything into the splitter and the spliter into the screen (do a search for quintro scart splitter).

5.1........ the pwd7 has its own amp built in that you can connect stereo speakers to it...you'll need an amp to get 5.1 ...with an amp you connect your equipment to it for sound and not teh screen

14. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    An answer to Mep and Sully99.

Mep, it's still too confusing mate.
    I know a bit (from these forums :smashin: )
    But my brain is going again.

I know your advice is good, but I think people would like simple terms, something that is missing on this forum, IMO.
    I'm no dummy, trust me :smashin:

But not everyone understands what you're on about.

In other words, can you break it down, as in :

Tele = {my advice such and such}

Sound = {such and such}

Etc :smashin:

I'm not moaning mate, trust me, just trying to look at it from a newbs point of view :thumbsup:

Sully, PWD7, is well under £1500, I believe.

15. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    sorry mate... i just tried to use english and not jargon as i'm not very techie myself...can i suggest you look at a site like superfi.co.uk and look at things like amps (also called recievers) as it's a very good way of getting familiar with kit....but basically speakers are just speakers and you can't just connect them to a sky box or dvd.......you connect your sky box and your dvd to an amp (inputs) and connect speakers to the amp too (outputs)...

16. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    :)

It's all the numbers :confused:

My mind goes blank.

I know nothing (a good man knows his limitations, says Clint :) )

But appreciate your input mate, don't worry :smashin:

The fact that you have nearly 2000 posts stands for something :thumbsup:

Not aimed at you, just general :thumbsup:

17. sully99

sully99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again, thanks for all your help, I have learnt a lot in the space of the last few hours! you've been more helpful than the bloke in the shop I went to.

I think I'm going to plump for the Panasonic TH-42PWD7BK which I can get for under £1300 (a mere £100 over my budget)! :smashin:

Am i right in thinking all i really need to get this working then is a scart board and a pair of (a) stereo speakers or if I want (b) a 5.1 surround sound system and an amp?

Mep, I did look at that link for the canton cinema setup, but at £480 its going to have to be something for the future! thanks though. :thumbsup:

18. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    mate...i'm self taught from a minus position 6 months ago.....still lots and lots to learn.....but don't be put off by numbers.....they are only models.....and serioulsy i really did find digging around on some of the better web sites a really good way of getting to grips with things...some are cr*p but sites like av-sales and superfi give very good kit descriptions...and superfi are extra good as hey have pictures of all the connections (i.e. round the back of the box)

19. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
  20. Dave Sayer

Dave Sayer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I to am new to the large screen and will be buying soon when Ive made my mind up.
    Thing is for me its Plasma or DLP, Im sure you plasma boys have an opinion on DLP and i would like to know the advantages of Plasma over DLP.

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

At the moment the Toshiba 46wm48p DLP is £1400 ish and HD ready.
    Comments please.