1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me buy a laptop

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by nfordenfield, Nov 13, 2003.

1. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I now feel the need to buy a laptop for work.

Trouble is, a secondhand would suffice, but i've seen the sexy little wifi centreno's, especially the Toshiba Portege R100, only weighs 1kg and need to justify it. Oh it's only 15mm thick

Way I see it drawback are no floppy/cd optical, and not the lastest cpu speed, although this is not a must, as light, compact and wifi are the list toppers.

Help!!!!

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Nathan,

My experience of buying a laptop was a Dell nearly 3 yrs ago, large 15" screen 850 p3 etc wih all the drives on board, top of the range and nearly £2.5k, great machine sat on a desk but gets really hot sat on your lap, doesn't last all that long on its batteries and damn heavy to lug about. If I was doing it again today (which i'm consideringreplacing it) I'd buy smaller, lighter and longer lastng on its batteries and better build quality than Dell.

If I was choosing today with whats available now I'd buy a Tosh or Sony with a centrino. If I was buying my first I'd get a £500/600 cheapy and see how much I actully used it and what I liked or disliked about it. I wouldn't worry about onboard disk drives as once its got the programs you use on it you will rarely use them, I'd just make sure it has networking built in (most have these days) for easy backups to a machine at home.

Regards