Help me buy a 42" TV, Plasma?

SuPerNoVi

Standard Member
Reaction score
I bet there's a lot of these questions and I apologise if this is a bit tedious to answer.

Basically my knowledge of TVs is fair. Here's how I see it, Plasma is the way to go and Panasonic are arguably the best choice. With this in mind I've found this model, the Panasonic TX-P42G20B it got a pretty good review here Panasonic Viera TX-P42G20B 42in Plasma TV Review - TV Reviews - TrustedReviews

I do want Freeview HD and seeing as it's over £200 for a separate PVR, I see it as just over £600 for the TV which isn't bad at all.

However I'm here for a reason :)
The menu system on the Panasonics isn't great and I can get past this but that's put a bit of doubt in my mind and made me want to get advice on the best plasma for my money or even if I shouldn't get a plasma. So advice from you more knowledgeable folk please.

Re-read what I said.

TV is £829, Stand alone Freeview HD PVRs are over £200 £829 minus £200 is £629. I'm just justifying it in my head and on here, I'm not claiming it to be £600.

For around that price point, the Panasonic G20 range is your best bet.

I'm so confused.

I went to Curry's the other day and it had 3 TVs on one HD feed (so don't blame the feed) one was a Panasonic 42" Plasma not the G20, one was a Samsung LCD 42" and one was a Samsung LED 40". I spent about 10 minutes staring at this demo reel looking like a tit thinking that LCD looks better than the Plasma, HOW?

When the plasma went to full black it had like a green tint to it the LCD looked pure black. My dad has a Plasma that I recommended to him, I watched that a bit and really struggled to get it to look anywhere near as good as the LCD I saw at Curry's.

I'm just at a loss now.

In fact just had a look and found a bit more information...
Panasonic = http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/panasonic-viera-tx-p42s20b-42-full-hd-plasma-tv-04965896-pdt.html
Samsung = http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-le40c530-40-full-hd-lcd-tv-05037935-pdt.html

Last edited:
Normally in shops they have bright lights which LCDs perform better in than plasmas. Thus the samsung looking better than the Plasma. even in TR review it states "and its realistic approach to pictures might struggle to make its presence felt in a crowded electrical superstore." To test out a Plasma it should be in low light conditions.

I'm always money concious and I've noticed you can get a pretty slick looking Samsung 40" LCD 1080p for just over £500. Saw it in Tesco of all places and it looked stunning, very high light condition in there but still it can't look worse in a lower light condition can it?

Anyway I'm wondering if there are any decent Samsungs with Freesat and low input lag that might suit my needs. Gaming is important. Any ideas?

the only samsung good for gaming was like the one made several years ago.

currently none of the samsung and sony LCD are for hardcore gamer.

if gaming is key LG and Sharp are your best bet. (both TV are reviewd by the site)

LG SL8000 and Sharp LE821

Thanks for the reply.

I currently use a Samsung 32" 720P for gaming. Cost £330 when I got it. The lag test in Rock Band shows me no lag and I haven't noticed any at all on any game I play. It's the kind of thing I think I would notice being used to gaming on a 2ms monitor on my PC.

If the G20 didn't buzz, looked slightly better and had better interface I'd snap it up in a flash. There's just too many little niggles for a £1000 TV. I've never spent this much on a TV before and it's worrying me, I just don't know what to do.

:thumbsdow

It's funny this, in the days of CRT's the shop lighting was really low and more like the viewing enviroment at home. I've just been to a new currys/pcworld megastore that's just opened and i've never seen lights so bright!!!. the plasma's were barely viewable.

Thanks for the reply.

I currently use a Samsung 32" 720P for gaming. Cost £330 when I got it. The lag test in Rock Band shows me no lag and I haven't noticed any at all on any game I play. It's the kind of thing I think I would notice being used to gaming on a 2ms monitor on my PC.

If the G20 didn't buzz, looked slightly better and had better interface I'd snap it up in a flash. There's just too many little niggles for a £1000 TV. I've never spent this much on a TV before and it's worrying me, I just don't know what to do.

:thumbsdow
To start with Currys is the worst place to compare plasma to lcd, it also one of the most expensive. Price wise Id got to a dealer or richer sounds, if you want to see a G20 in a store without a demo room try JL my local has a G20 on display in less harsh lighting and they allow you to play your own bluray, it realy looks the business.

I am hearing storys of more and more people taking LED screens back to Currys due to them not looking as good in the home, Currys realy push LED sets connecting them with a HD feed or bluray whilst plasmas are chucked up with bad connections, not setup and some not even on! nearly fell for it myself a few years back, glad Ilooked on here first.

I agree the G20 doesnt look the best style wise but it is a great set esp for under 900. from what Ihear its a good gaming set too, my V20 is great for gaming and the G isnt that much different.
I'd stick with your original plan and get a plasma. You say you are money concious, do you mean you havnt got a lot to spend? or you want to get the most for your money? I went for the cheaper option and got a PX80 a while back and wasnt ever happy with the set, this time Igot the best I could afford and got a V20. I was going to get a G20 but knew id not be 100% happy as Icould have spent that bit more and got the V. If you can afford it I'd get the G20 you could spend a little less maybe and get a 40'' lcd but Ithink you will regret it, if you cant really afford the G20 I'd go for an LG plasma. All IMHO of course.

Sorry if I went on a bit.:rolleyes::)

Sorry if I went on a bit.:rolleyes::)

Not at all these are the kind of replies one hopes for.

To start with Currys is the worst place to compare plasma to lcd, it also one of the most expensive. Price wise Id got to a dealer or richer sounds, if you want to see a G20 in a store without a demo room try JL my local has a G20 on display in less harsh lighting and they allow you to play your own bluray, it realy looks the business.

Yeah I totally agree but my thought process was LCDs shouldn't look worse in a home surely. I would never buy from Curry's unless they had a stonking great deal on so don't worry :)

I agree the G20 doesnt look the best style wise but it is a great set esp for under 900. from what Ihear its a good gaming set too, my V20 is great for gaming and the G isnt that much different.
I'd stick with your original plan and get a plasma. You say you are money concious, do you mean you havnt got a lot to spend? or you want to get the most for your money? I went for the cheaper option and got a PX80 a while back and wasnt ever happy with the set, this time Igot the best I could afford and got a V20. I was going to get a G20 but knew id not be 100% happy as Icould have spent that bit more and got the V. If you can afford it I'd get the G20 you could spend a little less maybe and get a 40'' lcd but Ithink you will regret it, if you cant really afford the G20 I'd go for an LG plasma. All IMHO of course.

Yeah money concious is more about me making the best decision not about getting the funds. If I have to wait to afford it, I can probably do that.

There are plenty of things swaying me toward plasma and I may need to look at the V20 however I didn't like the silver one nor do I want 3D. I think there is a black non 3D one though isn't there?

Thanks for your reply :smashin:

I'm in a similar boat. My train of thought was that being as gaming was the priority it had to be plasma, so therefore Panasonic, then it's simply budget. Even after reading about the niggles in the owner's thread I really don't see any alternatives that I'd be more happy with.

Personally I can justify the price difference between S and G as the G has a lot of features I'd want but when it comes to the V I don't think I can make that jump. I'm hoping to buy something this weekend.

Also, the VT20 is the 3D unit and as far as I'm aware the V20 is only available in the silver, could be wrong.

i totally agree. panny is the only plasmas maker i know that has very good input lag respond for gaming. samsung and lg does not have such set.

Thread REVIVAL!!!

Okay I didn't get the G20, I've been waiting for it to drop but I just can't get over a couple of things.

1) The interface.
2) This is a bit of a deal breaker, Radio Times adverts (***!)

So I'm looking for alternatives and looking for some advice. Gaming is important, quality is important, 3D not important at all and Freeview HD. I was tempted by the 50" LG PK590, I think that's the model but it just wont fit it really need to be 40" or 42" and I couldn't find a smaller version. Help! :)

Thread REVIVAL!!!

Okay I didn't get the G20, I've been waiting for it to drop but I just can't get over a couple of things.

1) The interface.
2) This is a bit of a deal breaker, Radio Times adverts (***!)

So I'm looking for alternatives and looking for some advice. Gaming is important, quality is important, 3D not important at all and Freeview HD. I was tempted by the 50" LG PK590, I think that's the model but it just wont fit it really need to be 40" or 42" and I couldn't find a smaller version. Help! :)

Too pass on the TV for those 2 reasons alone IMO is a bit silly!

It's by far the best gaming experience I've ever had on a TV, and the Blu-ray picture is stunning. Handles SD well by my eyes too.

I havn't got any recommendations as didn't really look below the 46" mark when making my decision, but the G20 would be the one I'd put above all anyway :smashin:

If you're not using the Freeview built in then I guess there isn't a problem but I would be. I don't want to get a seperate box. I still may end up getting this set as I have a dead line of December to avoid the VAT increase.

I've just found myself drifting towards the LGs as they have stunning menus in comparison. The thing that really annoys me though is in America the Panasonics have brilliant menus, yet for some ****ed up reason they didn't put it on the UK models.

If you're not using the Freeview built in then I guess there isn't a problem but I would be. I don't want to get a seperate box. I still may end up getting this set as I have a dead line of December to avoid the VAT increase.

I've just found myself drifting towards the LGs as they have stunning menus in comparison. The thing that really annoys me though is in America the Panasonics have brilliant menus, yet for some ****ed up reason they didn't put it on the UK models.

Yes I believe so, apparently a firmware update cant change the guide either so we are stuck with it.

I watch the built-in freeview tuner, the adverts don't bother me at all, the only slight issue is that I'm use to having the current channel still being displayed when looking at the guide. For what improvements and qualities this TV has over my LCD though it's not that much of an issue.

If your not in any rush to make a purchase then there's plenty of time to try and find something you'd pefer. Although I can imagine by that time the price will be too good to refuse on the G20 ;)

Interesting that you would pass up a TV with a better picture quality just because of the menu, it sure wouldnt make a diff for me.

Interesting that you would pass up a TV with a better picture quality just because of the menu, it sure wouldnt make a diff for me.

I agree, it's a bit silly but it's more silly that they couldn't just include these fancy new menus the Americans are getting. It's a principal thing more than anything I think, why should I have to put up with extra adverts when I'm spending over £700 with them?

Like I said I'll probably end up putting up with it and buying this set as with all the Googling I do I keep finding this meets my needs better but that's why I'm posting here because one of you fine folks might know of an alternative even if it costs more that I can at least consider.

One other thing I should mention is I'm really not keen on the idea of bedding it in. I also don't want grey border for 4:3 content. It seems to me from reading the owners thread that if you don't settle for grey borders or let your TV bed in for 200 hours then you're going to get IR. I just don't want that hassle really. I want to buy a new TV and enjoy it from the word go without worrying about all these issues.

Last edited:
I agree, it's a bit silly but it's more silly that they couldn't just include these fancy new menus the Americans are getting. It's a principal thing more than anything I think, why should I have to put up with extra adverts when I'm spending over £700 with them?

Like I said I'll probably end up putting up with it and buying this set as with all the Googling I do I keep finding this meets my needs better but that's why I'm posting here because one of you fine folks might know of an alternative even if it costs more that I can at least consider.

One other thing I should mention is I'm really not keen on the idea of bedding it in. I also don't want grey border for 4:3 content. It seems to me from reading the owners thread that if you don't settle for grey borders or let your TV bed in for 200 hours then you're going to get IR. I just don't want that hassle really. I want to buy a new TV and enjoy it from the word go without worrying about all these issues.

Its always been this way because UK is a small market to the likes of the USA. Just pan(fullscreen) 4:3 images for the first 300hrs.

Hi
The two reasons for not getting the G20 are a bit odd to me but its your money you have to be happy with your purchase. The G20 tho is the best pq for the money IMHO and very good value, to me the pq of a set is whats important, but then I dont bother with the tv guide, have a Vbox and mostly watch bluray or play games on my set.

All depends on what you want a set for, I find the menus easy to use on my V and ok LGs may have better, but PQ wise for me the G20 wins and my V20 for me on PQ cant be beat.

If you realy dont want the G20 then the LG plasmas are the way to go, for me they are better than any LCD inc LED LCD. End of the day get what makes YOU happy and enjoy.:smashin:

Oh just to add, bedding in for me involved using THX or Pro 1 and 2 mode with default settings, not realy a chore.:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom