Help me build a £500 gaming PC

Sandman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I currently game on a PS4 and my gaming is pretty limited to COD and F1 2019. I would like to get into iracing though and that has got me looking at a gaming pc setup. I also have a 2012 Mac mini in the living room that is used as a Plex server and somewhere to store photos.
my plan is to sell the PS4 and Mac mini to fund the gaming pc which I will also use for all purposes. I don’t need monitors, keyboard or mouse as I already have that stuff and I will be keeping a PS4 controller and my G29 wheel setup for use with the PC.
I’m sure I will raise £500 from selling the mac mini and ps4 so that is my budget and have so far come up with this system.
The system in the link above only has a 500 ssd and no hard drive. I can add a HDD if required but I also have a 1TB external HDD that I could use for storage (can you install games on an external drive).
Any advise on the above system would be welcome.

Have to say that looks pretty much spot on for the budget :smashin:

I picked up F1 2017 for a couple of quid a few weeks back. I'm loving it on my DFGT and can't wait for F1 2020 to come out in a few weeks.

I think the 3300x is worth the extra £20 for the gaming performance and maybe even looking for a better 2nd hand GPU for the same money.
On looking it seems that even 2nd hand GPU prices have risen maybe due to covid-19 :(

Last edited:
Yeah I have been keeping my eye on eBay for 2nd hand GPU’s but it doesn’t seem worth it for the small saving.

Well my impatience got the better of me and I ordered the parts as listed above. The only changes I made were I went with a different case and got a slightly used RX580 8gb gpu instead of the 480. Total cost was the same at a smidge under £500.
Now apart from the cpu cooler and the fans on the gpu and psu should I also add some case fans?

Well my impatience got the better of me and I ordered the parts as listed above. The only changes I made were I went with a different case and got a slightly used RX580 8gb gpu instead of the 480. Total cost was the same at a smidge under £500.
Now apart from the cpu cooler and the fans on the gpu and psu should I also add some case fans?

What case did you go for? As some have fans included already, if not you will want to get some. Knowing the case helps know what fans to suggest.

It’s this case I went for.

Yeah it doesn't come with any fans so you'll need some. I'd start with 2 x 120mm in the front and a 120mm as the rear exhaust. It's unlikely you'll need a top exhaust fan.

These are very good case fans, a little noisy at full RPM but if you have a good fan curve they are not intrusive. They flow a lot of air which I'm happy about.

Brilliant thanks, I just ordered 2 of the fans before realising I misread your post and you recommended 3. I will put one in the front and one in the rear and if it still runs hot I can order another.

Just had another thought. Screws!

i am going to need screws to hold the motherboard, the PSU, The SSD, the fans and the video and WiFi cards to the case. do these come with the case, the components or do I need to order them separately?

Just had another thought. Screws!

i am going to need screws to hold the motherboard, the PSU, The SSD, the fans and the video and WiFi cards to the case. do these come with the case, the components or do I need to order them separately?

Fans come with screws, the case comes with the rest normally (PSU / SSD / MB) wifi card and GPU are held in by the PCI-E expansion slot screws and the PCI-E motherboard slots.

Today I turned this...
AA3857F5-9CB1-456A-AD92-240D3F19679C.jpeg

Into this....,,
40EDAB1F-3097-40C1-9A32-CF40BE75F3F6.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom