Help me AV Forums. You may be my only hope. Soon to be out of work

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dUnKle, Aug 4, 2018.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,002
    Afternoon
    After some help and actually even trying to see if I can find the two members who offered to help me awhile back but who, shamefully, I can’t remember

Come last day of August I shall be being made redundant. For the first time in 26 years I shall be unemployed after an initial 8 years in high street details and then 18 years in public service working within police control room

So I’m taking stock and looking at what to do next. My initial plan is to have September resting and getting used to not working 56 hour weeks and shifts and whilst doing so look at what to do next and look at bettering myself

My initial call for help is regards my CV. I did have a couple of members when this came up 2 years or so ago offer help as “cv doctors” and help me right and design a decent one. So if that was you, hi, does the offer still stand.

Failing that anyone able to help and advise on how I should have my cv

Secondly I’m looking at “retraining” 26 years ago I did my college courses in computing and did some c and pascal programming and was considering going back to IT and maybe doing a course at home that could help me get a job “programming” although I have ZERO idea where to start

I have been advised that Phyton and NodeJS may be worth considering but that means nothing to me at all.

So can anyone suggest a course (or two) that I could do from home and that would stand me chance at maybe getting a new “career” I don’t mind paying obviously but would want to do something that I know would be worthwhile and also recognised

Also on the course front I was thinking maybe something in terms of management / HR as I have various courses through my current job. So any suggestions for that or even any suggestions for something “left field” that would be worth doing that may hold me in good stead

I supposed basically I’m just asking for help / advice on what next. I’m not wanting to staying within the public sector. At least not initially. I’ve seen where that’s gone and continues to go

I’m also fortunate that my redundancy money means I don’t need to rush but could do with something by January 2019 if possible

Thanks in advance

Dunk

2. walters123

walters123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,278

I used this company. Good luck with the job search

CV Writing Services | Professional CV Writing From Experienced CV Writers

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,002
  4. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,002
    In terms of “training”

My cousins best friend works for some recruitment agency

He has suggested that I do this course

“MCSD Web Applications Courses which also includes the MTA
    (Microsoft Technology Associate) Software Development Fundamentals (that's
    the course for someone with NO software dev experience, essentially your
    starting point, and they do this course for Network Infrastructure, Cyber
    Security, and Data Analysts).”

Which by all accounts costs 750 from RobustIT Training - IT Online Courses

But looking at their website I’m more confused than ever.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  5. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,063
    Hi

I’ve recommended a cv writing service in the past, currently being dragged around the shops so will check later

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  6. Geordie888

Geordie888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Where are you based?

7. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,002
    Shropshire. Shrewsbury

8. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +706
    python and nodejs are just programming languages. Have a look here Learn Python - Free Interactive Python Tutorial

try here for nodejs Learn Node.js - Best Node.js Tutorials | Hackr.io

There are many, many more languages and technologies you could learn, but they aren't a bad place to start, I would suggest you look at learning some form of SQL and RDBMS (database). A back end language (C# / java being the main two) too. I don't mean immediately but I think if you want to get hired in to a programming job a decent knowledge of several different languages is going to help.

I would have a think about what you'd like to do in a development/programming job and then talk to a few local agents and see what they think of jobs prospects for a "first job" in the industry. They might even be able to guide you on core skills to learn (there is more than just learning languages). I don't know how easily you'd find employment and it'd be a terrible waste to train up and puts lots of effort in only to struggle to find jobs in your area.

From an outsiders view I'm half tempted to suggest a trade - plumbing/electrician? There are more easily recognisable qualifications and given the amount of new houses going up there wouldn't be any shortage of work - let alone work on older properties. From people I see/know in the trades there seems to be enough money/work. A few years as a apprentice and you could eventually end up just working for yourself. Just a thought really.

9. PsyVision

PsyVision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,004
  10. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,128
    I’ll be honest as someone who has recently been recruiting a development team.

If you have 26 working experience, but zero programming experience in a professional setting it will be difficult to pivot.

Especially in the short timeframe you are looking to do this in. Unless you can demonstrate that somehow you are an algorithm genius, then you need to be able to demonstrate some other form of useful subject matter experpertise that can compensate for the lack of coding experience.

18 years in the control room could count for something depending on what you were doing. As does any security clearances that you may hold.

If you are looking at the private sector than be prepared to have your own github with projects for review, and other online activity and contributions or pull requests in your name for open source projects.

Targeting what it is that you want to do, and building a name in that area is very important.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,002
    Cheers. Interesting and appreciate any and all advice and more detail you may have. Also very much appreciate your honesty.

Yeah did 18 months as custody they last 16 years or so in control room. Taking calls. Running incidents. Managing operations of all types and seriousness plus various courses regards team leading etc to help manage the squads.

Run and dealt with all sore from the most pettiest and lowest of incidents right up to the most serious of offences and incidents and even have a few commendations and numerous positive comments regards the work I’ve done.

I do fancy “learning” something. I’ve always been tech savvy. Good with hardware and can fix and build as a “hobbiest”

What about building / creating / designing / maintaining web sites. Is that something I could learn and if so how ?

I just feel it would be nice to have a couple of “qualifications” or courses under my belt

Really appreciate all the help

12. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +706
    There are lots of other fields in IT - network & server administration/design etc. Dev ops (google it). SEO, security and so on. Particularly on the network side there are qualifications you could look at there (Cisco CCNA, Microsoft window/active directory/exchange/sharepoint etc) - maybe as part of a apprenticeship or whatever they may call it.

Writing website ? tricky one - small scale its a bedroom industry (take a look at rentacoder.com), as you get to bigger projects they typically use a content management system, even some large corporates will use something along those lines.

Given your current position you could look at supervisory/managerial roles of some description that will use some of your existing skills ? something in the security industry ?

My company (a large multi national) spends an awful lot of effort and time on compliance - not just with our own procedures and policies but also to (various) governments and authorities (including military). The other thing that is similar to this is export control - making sure we remain legal when things and increasingly information crosses borders. Given where the UK is going it might just be a growth area in the next few years.. Understanding of procedures/conduct and so on (which you are used to) could give you a start. This is closely related to (but not restricted to) work in the IT area.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,128
    If you’ve managed projects, why not look into contracting for Police or secure government projects? Perhaps as a junior PM or PMO? Then in parallel you could do more studying and move into the field you are interested in.

You are in a decent location as a lot of that work takes place in Telford, West Midlands, and also a bit further north on the M6 or south on the M5.

Based on what you described your experience could be useful for a variety of transformation projects. There is also still a communications country wide project ongoing if I am not mistaken which needs to integrate with command and control systems.

Just a thought.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,002
    Cheers.

I guess it’s all so new and scary and rather overwhelming. I am in the “fortunate” position that I can afford to live (ie pay bills and mortgage) for at least six months. Probably even 12. So don’t want to rush too much but at same time I’ve alwsys worked. Was thinking maybe just going back to retail even if just for the Xmas period.

Long term after the last 18 years of every bank holiday and only a couple of Christmas days off I want a quality of life before anything else. id be happy with something that could pay me 1200 a month as long as it gave me time with my little girl and made it so I wasn’t always at work.

Please keep the suggestions coming. They are very grateful. And in terms of the work suggested so far. If anyone has any direct links or advice regards this please share.

I’m no stranger to stress and like to think I’m a hard worker. I have had many a long term bobby refer to me along the lines of “best Comms op they have worked with” and always taken pride in my ability to run numerous serious jobs and ensure above all the safety of my officers

15. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,489
    Personally I would not recommend IT Certifications in your position. Sure you can pay a chunk of money going on a course and you will mostly likely pass. The problem is that most of these IT qualifications are about learning the terminology and procedures of that particular methodology and the course is designed to help you pass the exam rather than learn the subject.

So the certification is okay but without any practical experience you won’t get a look in.

Also IT is not a magic elixier. True there are plenty of jobs but there are also plenty of people chasing them including loads of 21 year olds who have just done a computing or engineering degrees.

Personally, I’d look at your skills in the Police Control Room and see how they can translate to other domains.

How far are you off retirement? Is this a job to pay the mortgage or something to keep you busy and earn a little spending money.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  16. MSW

MSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Based on your history (which will be the bulk of your CV) your experience would lend itself to be taken seriously in the “project management” field. Such roles as:

Project Manager
    Delivery Manager
    Process Consultant

I think you would probably want to have a bit if update training / qualifications to get you over the line.

You could take a look at some of the PM training qualifications (APM, Prince 2, Six Sigma), maybe speak to a recruitment consultant.

I appreciate your desire to move into IT but, such roles as date engineer, business architect can be difficult to obtain with a sizeable amount of previous experience.

Given your desire for IT, coupled with your experience possibly, a succesful Route to Market might be the analysis and visualisation piece because this ties nicely in with project management. Trends change quite quickly in analysis and visualisation, a starting point would be to look at / consider Qlik (sense & view) although there are many others.

Like I say, speak to a recruiter. It seams to me that someone with your CV, coupled with an APM qualification who is fully competent in Qlik would be able to land roles (typically contracting) as a delivery manager / process consultant. Once you have done a few of these a PM role could then be in the offering.

Hope this helps and, at the end of the day, the above is only one persons view but, I think it’s worth considered what you experience supports which, I would say is PM rather that IT.

All the best
    Mark

17. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,002
    Cheers.
    I’m 42 so long way off retirement. I’m not one of any extravagant lifestyle. To be honest I “waste” most of my monthly income these days. But I do have a four year old and a mortgage. I “could” survive on 800 quid a month but that would leave no money for “me” so looking at something that pays me around 1200 at least

I may sound “lightweight” but I’ve had it (at least for now) with the awful shifts, the nights, the bank holidays, the christmases and at least want a few years of being able see my little girl grow

I guess the IT idea was just something I have clutched onto having been at college way back when and having always been “that guy” who fixes and upgrades everyone’s machine at home. Maybe I may be better just sticking with looking at a few basics in web sites just as a “hobby” and leaving the IT stuff to the hip and cool guys !

I really don’t know what to do or where to go
    The help and advice so far has been amazing.

I’ll admit though, over half the roles suggested I have zero idea what they are. I guess that’s the downside of having done what I have for so long.

Currently trying to remember what a cv should even look like let alone what should include lol. Been 19 years since last did one.

18. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    Search results for term CV, user Dunkle:
    Search Results for Query: CV | AVForums

Anything there you remember?

19. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,489

How about looking at the big IT contractors that sell systems into the public sector, especially the Police. The likes of IBM, PWC, Atos, Serco, Fujitsu plus loads more, commonly take on Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) - people who have worked in the business, so know how it works, what works well, what works badly so are in a good position to help define new systems. They generally get paid very well too - if you could find a contact that is putting in a new control centre (doesn't have to be Police) and the IT Contractor does not already have SMEs you would be surprised how much they would pay you.

The trick is finding one and sometimes that means being in the right place at the right time.

But to help, the Invitations to Tender (ITT) for all EU government contracts have to be submitted on the Official Journal of the European Community OJEU Portal. So if you keep an eye on that you can get an idea of what projects are coming up and whether any relate to your experience.

OJEU - welcome to OJEU

For example, I know for a fact that the Home Office are in the processing of reletting the contacts for the two Police and Immigration biometric (fingerprints, palm prints, DNA, face and marks) systems to be managed by a single supplier. Now that might not align with your experience but it gives you an idea of what is out there - in that case any ex-police or ex-immigration person could find a nice SME role in there.

Most of my experience has been in Defence Supply Chain and Maintenance systems and my employer often used to take on ex Navy/Army/RAF maintainers and storemen as SMEs and bring them in at a pretty high grade too.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,002
    I shall try and see regards the pm training. That’s does actually sound more appealing to me and certainly “fits” better with my experience over last few years

Have ran and managed many a serious incident. Was involved in setting up our current work place and involved in various projects over the years as well as having trained and then tutored numerous new staff

21. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,745
    Direct entry Superintendent??? (I'm only half joking!!!). Maybe another civvy posting?

Sorry, I can't offer any other help!

22. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,002
    One thing, at least for now, is I want out of police. I love the people I work with and love my officers and made some amazing friends etc but it really is going to the dogs and i feel for the officers who are over worked, over stretched and damned if do and damned if don’t and sadly I don’t see it getting better for some time (and likely get worse before then)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  23. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,855
    Is there something you could do that would make use of your experience?
    I am just suggesting a smaller change of direction because a lot of people do these programming courses so experience makes a difference when getting a job.
    Perhaps once your CV is ready that will help you to see what experience and skills can be applied elsewhere.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  24. InvisibleDuncan

InvisibleDuncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    LinkedIn is a good source of training and I reckon they'll have a fair number in project management as well as programming. You can sign up to their extended package (can't remember its name, but basically the one above the free package) for a month's trial and plough through as many courses as you like. After that it's something like £20 a month, I think.

One of the things you should put on your CV is a section on achievements. You've listed quite a few here that would look good on a CV for a PM, so keep those in mind.

Are they not providing you with any support process? When I was made redundant at the end of June, they signed me up to a company that gives help on CVs, training and career advice. It might be worth asking your employer about that (I actually thought it was compulsory).

25. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,855
    In my work I handled a number of projects which really fleshed things out.
    I was made redundant three years ago and some support making sure all paperwork was sorted, payments etc. but no CV help or career advice.

26. Wahreo

Wahreo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,817
    You could survive on £800 per month?!!!!

I’d do a Kevin Spacey in American Beauty and apply for something with “The least possible amount of responsibility”

27. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,002
    Lol
    Yeah currently I could. As said I’d have no “Me” money. No nights out, no new games, no cheap charts splurges every Monday, but 800 would allow me to sort my financial responsibilities out each month.

To be fair I could, possibly, even manage on 700

And the suggestion of “least amount of responsibility” sounds very appealing after the last 18 years I’ve had and things dealt with. At least initially. Almost like a reset button to return to “normality”

28. Wahreo

Wahreo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,817
    I’d learn bricklaying or something. Then travel to Germany with a load of geordies and work on site. Possibly live in a giant shed.

29. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,855
    It costs money to get qualified etc. but there is always a shortage of good electricians and plumbers.
    If one is out of work then they aren't much good.
    Just don't get dragged into working for a company while being self employed, the contracts are usually rigged so you can't get out of them.

30. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,002
    Cheer.
    Yeah I think may need to rethink again regards what courses to do
    Think I prefer the idea of the pm stuff and I guess I have more real world experiences which may link in. Just knowing what courses / qualifications to look at

Would be good find something could do at home

Also need to try work out what to put in my cv and how to make it look