1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help match a sub with a MA Radius package

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by doctorjuggles, Apr 20, 2005.

1. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hey all.
    I'm downsizing my system from B&W DM604s (too large for the room but great speakers,) to something more manageable and "stylish." (Yes, that means WAF.)

Anyway, I auditioned the Monitor Audio Radius R270 floorstanders and was really impressed, and so I've decided on the R270s as fronts, R225 as centre and the R90s as rear surrounds. Magic.
    As good as the R270s sounded, I know I'm going to be missing bottom end grunt, and so I'll obviously be looking for a nice new subwoofer too.

It'll be used for movies a lot too, but I'm of the opinion that music is more important to get right. With that in mind, my personal preferences in music are that I tend to favour the bottom end slightly, but I really like my bass fast and punchy. Impact is important too, but I don't like the boomy, sloppy bass of highly commercial consumer products.

What sort of subs should I be auditioning for my purposes then? I'm looking at the Rel Quake and the Rel Stampede, based mainly on reviews I've read in the press and on here.

Is there anything else I should be adding to this list? Remember that I'm slightly constricted by size here, but it doesn't have to be completely dinky. I have a couple of places I could place it, one of them could have no height restriction but would need to be 12" wide or less, or the other place could be wider, but would need to be no more than 15 3/4" tall.

That's it, off you go with your clever suggestions! :)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The BK XLS200 should be on your short list at £279. Loads of positive comments on the forum from quite a few satisfied buyers

3. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I've just had a look at their site, will it not be a little on the difficult side to audition one of these? It looks like they deal directly to consumer.

Adding to this, should I put a few of the MJ Acoustics range on my shortlist?