Help - Make my cables dissapear!

BisKyt

Standard Member
Hi,

I've just got a new LCD 32" That I wish to wall mount, however I'm having a nightmare trying to figure out how to hide the cables. Hopefully you guys might have some clever sugesstions?!

The problem:
- AV equipment and power socket is the opposite side of a double width doorway from the LCD mounting point!
- Floor is concrete (with carpet on top)

Useful to know:
- Wall is stud work, with plaster board
- There is a radiator cover below the mounting point, that would allow cables to be hidden behind if I could get them there in the first place!
- Distance if running accross the floor: 3m
- Distance if running around doorway: 5m

Connections required:
1 x Power lead (Kettle style plug)
1 x Scart
1 x Component (YPbPr)
1 x VGA
1 x RCA Stereo Audio
1 x HDMI

If possible I would like to be able to get flat cables for all the above and just run them under the carpet, then into the wall behind the radiator cover and back out of the wall behind the TV.

Could anybody suggest somewhere that might sell/be able to make up these cables at a reasonable price?

Otherwise I might have to run the cables directly into the wall, then up and over the doorway, then out behind the TV. I've never attempted putting cables in walls before, so could do with some pointers.

Alternatively, is there usually space behind the archatraves around the door? And would it be simple to take them off/refit?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Toby.

baldrick

That's a tricky one. That many 'flat' cables will still leave a noticable bump in the carpet and I don't know if you can get flat component cables!?!?

Does the room have coving?

You may find a small gap behind the architrave, but the odds are not enough of one to run all the cables through!

Can you not move the equipment? The biggets problem you will have going through the stud work is the size hole you'll need to feed the connectors through.

Thinking about it coving could be the best option, then you only need to drop the cables through the wall at either end....

rhino2k

Distinguished Member
do you have underlay?

if so simply lift carpet and cut a small amount of it away (just enough for cables to sit in level) next to the gripper bar, lay cables, cut small slit in carpet for cables to pass through, put carpet cack down and voila!

instant hidden cables :thumbsup:

BisKyt

Standard Member
Unfortunately there is nowhere else to put the equipment, unless I wall mount that too! There is a doorway either side of the narrow wall where the TV is going, and the other side is the kitchen.

No coving, although I suppose I could always put some up. Would still have to get the cables up and down to it though.

I might have to make holes in the wall and feed the cables through. Any tips?

T.

BisKyt

Standard Member
BisKyt said:
Unfortunately there is nowhere else to put the equipment, unless I wall mount that too! There is a doorway either side of the narrow wall where the TV is going, and the other side is the kitchen.

No coving, although I suppose I could always put some up. Would still have to get the cables up and down to it though.

T.
I do have underlay, so that is definitely an option. I need cables that are not too bulky though, so getting as many as possible in the flat style would help. Any suggestions of where to get cables? I want reasonable quality, but at a not too extravagent price!

baldrick

BisKyt said:
I do have underlay, so that is definitely an option. I need cables that are not too bulky though, so getting as many as possible in the flat style would help. Any suggestions of where to get cables? I want reasonable quality, but at a not too extravagent price!

I'd have thought you may end up paying a premium for 'flat' cables!?!?

baldrick

BisKyt said:

T.

The problem with trying to feed through the wall will be the size of the connectors (SCART mainly) and the subsequent holes you'll need to drill through the stud work! You'd end up with so many holes it would almost be easier to strip the board off, install the cables and re-plaster....

The coving idea means you only have to do 2 vertical drops with the cable, one of which will be no problems because The TV will probably sit above the horizontal noggins in the stud work. The drop to the equipment could be a little trickier!?!?!

BisKyt

Standard Member
Well I've found this flat scart lead, which would have been one of the bulkiest leads:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5m-GOLD-FLAT-...6QQihZ006QQcategoryZ15067QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I havent found a flat VGA yet, but can live without it being flat.

Unfortunately I can only find 3m or 5m lengths. I measured up, and it looks as though I'm going to need about 3.5m to get to the mounting point with a little slack on the cable. Typical!

Ideally I'd like to find somewhere that does custom lengths, otherwise I'm going to end up with a lot of spare cable to hide, which will increase potential for interference.

RBJTech

It really all depends on whether you want to do it 'properly' or not (please take that the right way !)

Personally, if I had the option of using the stud wall then I would use it to the fullest. As you need to go over a doorway anyway (and I'm assuming you are on the ground floor with a ceiling void above you..) I would run some large diameter (40mm+) flexible conduit from the equipment end up into the ceiling coid (1) along the ceiling void (2) and back down to the LCD (3) then run the cables though and solder quality connectors on the ends. Conduit needs to have a smooth inside edge, NO sharp bends and not ribbed - also put in MULTIPLE pull strings BEFORE you install it to help pull the cables though.

(1) - will mean going through noggings, find them using a detector and drill them out.

(2) - depending which way your joists go, this may be a nightmare / not possible at all - do NOT drill 40mm holes though your joists !! - Multiple smaller holes are fine but this means splitting your conduit/pipes/cables...

(3) Also means you can get cables at exact length..

Not easy - but did something similiar for my recent projector install.

PS - Also are you sure you need all those cables ? Why not just use the best one available (ie no need for SCART + Component?)

PPS - Don't run the mains cable in the consuit/pipes, run it outside and as far away as possible...

Just to re-iternate - do NOT drill any holes in your joists without seeking professional advice on the appropriate maximum size for safety reasons !!

BisKyt

Standard Member
Thanks Teeerex,

Unfortunately I have no access to the ceiling, without ripping it down. I'm on the first floor of a 5 floor apartment block.

I must admit that I was tempted not o run s many cables. I have a media centre PC that could, in theory, replace most of the other components. At some point though I'm bound to want to connect something else in and would kick myself if I hadn't put the cable in for it!

Currently VGA is for the PC, SCART is for my Topfield PVR and component is for the playstation. I want to run the HDMI purely for future proofing.

ssuellid

I have my cables running through conduit - which is paintable with normal wall paint. Front speaker cables are run under the carpet in grooves cut into the underlay. Some other cables run through the coving - most plaster coving is hollow.

loz

Distinguished Member
as a bit of lateral thinking...

Could you not put the equipment in the room behind the wall the LCD is mounted on, and then control it all remotely with an IR extender or something.
Then all you have to do it put the cables through the wall back to back.

You only need physically visit the equipment to change a DVD/CD.

hi there,

i wonder if it would be possible to take the skirting boards off and run the cables behind these? - yes it means pulling skirting boards off (which may well be bonded / glued on) but could be easier?

i did a job recently using the same technique (although the power was sourced from the opposite side of the wall)

jonathan.

hornz

I currently use a mix of behind skirtings, around architraves, and between rolls of underlay and can vouch for each method. If you live in a modern(ish) property with plasterboard internal walls then removing and re-applying these is straightforward and should yield good results. It can be a messy business though...

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom