1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! Lost In TV TECHNOBABBLE & need advice

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by DPLeeds, Dec 27, 2004.

1. DPLeeds

DPLeeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've had the same 21" Sony Triniton TV for what seems forever and now want to get a bigger and better TV. I have done some research but there seems to be such a wide range that I've got totally confused so I'm hoping that people on here can give me some advice.

I've got about £800 to spend but don't want to waste money unnecessarily and I'm looking for a 28-32" flat widescreen tv. I've got ntl cable (digital I think(?)), a dvd and a vcr to connect to it. My main concern is picture quality and sound (although seperate speakers to the tv wouldn't work in my room). I want to watch normal tv, cable, dvd's in widescreen format and videos on my tv. Here are my main confusions:

1. Is it worth getting 100hz technology? reviews are so mixed!
    2. Is Virtual Dolby worth it compared to nicam stereo?
    3. Can't decide whether an LCD or a CRT tv would give the best picture - like size of LCD's but picture quality and reliability more important to me.

Can anyone help clear this fog???

Many many thanks
    :confused:

2. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    For the budget you have stick with CRT, they still offer the best, most reliable service in general and don't cost the earth for 32". 100 Hz refresh should give a more stable flicker free picture, but as a certian amount of digital processing is used, sometimes this dosen't always work. The best bet is to take some of the advice of set people give here and go and use your own eyes. As regards to sound, I can't truly comment but I belive the the virtual dolby thing is not that good.

Check out the Toshiba 32ZP48, can be bought online for £740 + delivery (I think this even comes with a free Toshiba 340 DVD player - also very good). This has the ability to deliver dolby 5.1 suround sound - maybe not as good as a seperate AV revicer and kit, but a lot better than anything else. It also will give a progessive scan and component input so you can get the best picture possible form the DVD source, with 3 SCART inputs (2 RGB) which will do just nicely for you NTL DigiBox (remember to set the output of the DigiBox to RRGB through the options menu).

3. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I can also recommend the 32zp48 ,picture and sound are very good.Although if you havnt seen todays 100htz tvs, i would suggest a demo ,they are not everybodys cup of tea.

4. timbo_bobcat

timbo_bobcat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You sound like you're in the same position I was in a couple of months ago. I too had a Trinitron 21 inch for years but was put off by the reports about 100Hz.

Save some of your money and get a 50Hz Sony KV28HX15. It's a great machine. Check out the Sony site for details. Yours for £4-500 depending where you buy it from.

5. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I thoroughly recommend the Toshiba 32ZP48. Personally I can find no fault 'vision or soundwise' with this model and have no hesitation in recommending it. If you are concerned about 100Hz technology go to your local retailer and view this model in the 'natural scan' mode - you should be impressed and any fears will be dispelled. Regards, yt.

6. DPLeeds

DPLeeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice.

I'm beginning to think a 28inch might fit better in my room. Any recommendations?

7. loofer

loofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I wouldn't touch a 100hz tv, when i got my sony i stood and looked at the same model right beside in 100hz mode for a good 10-15 mins and couldn't see ANY difference whatsoever, i really wouldn't waste my money on them.

You want to decide wether to go for an anologue tv and get a digibox/sxy/dvd with digi tuner or to get an integrated digital tuner with the tv. One thing to be aware of is that if you want to record a digital station and watch another digital station you'll need two digital tuners, people don't always think of that when they buy.

You're probably used to haveing a video where you record BBC1 and watch ITV but you have to remember there's one tuner in the tv letting you watch one station and another tuner in the video to let you record a different one, digital is no different. It might be a good idea to get an integrated digital tv then wait a few months until some of the DVD recorders with digital tuners come out and grab one of those, then you're totally covered.

8. loofer

loofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Also, i think virtual dolby is a device for converting 2 channel sound into 4 channel for a surround sound system (check that with someone else) if you're not planning on getting surround sound i don't think you'll notice a difference between the two.

9. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Virtual Dolby and NICAM are indeed two independent technologies.

NICAM is the system used to transmit the stereo sound for TV in the UK and a few more European countries, Virtual Dolby is a method for simulating multi-channel sound over two speakers with material encoded in Dolby Surround or similar technology. This is the case with most stereo broadcasts of movies and also playback of DVD's, depending on how the DVD player is set up. So, the sound broadcast in NICAM may be Dolby Surround encoded and a Virtual Dolby set will still have a NICAM decoder.

Virtual Dolby may not really be necessary. The reason is that the Dolby Surround encoding works by mixing the surround content into the left and right channels out-of-phase relative to each other, which can already produce a "virtual surround" effect of sorts. Virtual Dolby decodes the surround channel and mixes it back into the left and right channels after some more elaborate processing, but it too is based on tricking the ear by putting the sound out-of-phase.

10. DPLeeds

DPLeeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the difference between the Toshiba 32ZP46 and the 48 model? I think I prefer inbuilt speakers

11. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The 48 can deal with full Dolby 5.1, comes with surround speakers and has a lot more sound feature. Granted this may not be as goo as a seperate AV Reciever and decent speakers, but it's a step in the right direction and for the extra money (50 quid) it's well worth it. Go to the Toshiba home site and although the 46 is not listed, there is a compare models link somewhere and you can see the differences there.

12. DPLeeds

DPLeeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey

Thanks for all the advice. I've taken the plunge and recently took delivery of the Toshiba 32ZP48 and am very happy with it.