1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP - Lost Images

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Bryce Curdy, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Bryce Curdy

Bryce Curdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to have lost my recent digital holiday photos.

They seemed to tranfer from my SD card to my computer hard drive. I then stupidly reformatted the SD card before checking the photographs on the hard drive. Although all the files are there, I am unable to open any of them. I have since discovered the SD card was corrupt and have replaced it.

I have taken a CD-ROM with a copy of the files to The Photo Factory in Glasgow but they were unable to help. I also tried copying the files back on to the SD card and using an image recovery program I had downloaded, again without any joy.

Does anyone have any other suggestions about other image recovery software, commercial services or any other bright ideas. It's maddening when the files are all sitting there. I'm really grateful for any help.

2. MattB1

MattB1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bryce,

Do you still have your old card ? The files may have been corrupted during the copy process and therefore any files other than those on the original card may be dodgy. You could try running recovery software against your formatted card. If the card is corrupt it could be that all the files including the ones on the formatted card are corrupt and that'll probably mean that there is no point in undeleting them.

I've used a product called Active Undelete before for recovering deleted files and it's worked very well although that has been from HDD and not digital media. You can download a free trial from here
    Active undelete
    The trial will tell you what files in can see but to recover them you'll have to pay for the full version.

If you copied the files back to the SD Card that you originally took the pictures on you've probably overwritten the originals with teh corrupt files and therefore you'll not be able to get them back.

This software may be able to repair corrupt files if the above idea isn't an option. I've not used it so I've no idea how good it is.

http://www.officerecovery.com/pixrecovery/

Again a free trial is available but not sure what it wil give you.

Matt

3. MattB1

MattB1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0