1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, lost a hard drive I think!

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by zAndy1, Aug 21, 2004.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,069
    Hi,
    I'm having a problem with one of my hard drives in my HTPC. It's a 120GB seagate (well it was) which is now showing as 7.38GB RAW format in disk management. It's the slave drive and the drive letters that were assigned on that HD aren't appearing in my computer anymore. This drive basically had all my music and lots of high def stuff on so I'm a bit gutted! Anyone come across this before, is the drive knackered (still detects it in the bios and shows in disk management so suspect not). Any idea how to get it back to it's 120GB capacity. I've tried formatting it but it won't have it.

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The last thing you should do is try formatting it, wouldnt you lose everything you are trying to recover ?

Wish i could help more but i don't know how to solve your problem.

3. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Download Seatools from the Seagate Web site and see what it makes of the condition of the drive.

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,069
    I've run a seagate tools disk check and it checked out fine.. Still only showing as 7.38GB capacity and no drive letters though! Think I'll have to take it out of my HTPC and hook it up to this PC and see what this one makes of it.. thanks for the replies btw

Cheers
    Andy

5. MikeC

MikeC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Andy, if this turns out to be that u cannot read the disk there are still other options to recover.
    Firstly you can try PC Inspector File Recovery which is a free download (just do a Google 4 it).

If this doesn't work I used GetDataBack which isn't free but does at least allow you to run it to see if you can recover anything before shelving out.... This worked great for me & got back >95% of the data on my disk.

HTH

6. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,069
    Quick update, it's now sitting in this PC as a slave drive, looks exactly the same as in the HTPC, used space 0 bytes, free space 0 bytes, capacity 0 bytes, format RAW. Time for the recovery stuff!

Cheers
    Andy