Help: Loss of RAID 1 Data, Can I recover it?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by sapper, Oct 31, 2005.

1. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Please advise if possible.

Having had what appears to be a motherboard/powersupply failure, I trandsfeed the RAID 1 array to another motherboard.

At one stage, the data files seemed to be present, as I hooked a drive to the SATA connection.

However upn trying to install the array on the new motherboard (Asus, both of them using Silicon Image drivers etc), I seem to have lost the data.

I have not formated them, so I am pretty sure the data is on there, but the software (XP in particualr) is saying there is no data and the disc needs to be reformated.

Does any one have any suggestions on how to recover all the data, otherwise I will have to rip all my CD's again (approx 550) and accept the loss of other data.

Hence why it was on the RAID in the first place :(

Adrian

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,782
    Does XP see 2 seperate drives or just the one RAID 1 logical drive?

3. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Iyt was after configuring the RAID 1 using the SAM program when the data dissappeared. They are ~250 GB drives, of whixh onlt 256MB is recognised by XP

The other 24? GB is declared as healthy until I try to open it with explorer, then it tells me the drive needs reformating.

I am sure the data is still on there, just needs some intelligent recvery tool to access it.

Adrian

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    The whole point of Raid 1 is if you have a failure (mobo or hdd), you can continue with only 1 disk. If you used the SAM manager, you effectively set up a new array over the old one as if the disks were new. The system is expecting you to format the new array you have created and start from scratch. The vast majority of the data should still be there but you will need data recovery software.

5. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    That is what I thought... But I could not get the system to recognise that the RAID array was there until I used SAM.

Can yourecomend any data recovery software?

Adrian

6. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,242
    ontrack easy recovery Pro should sort you out..
    install it on another system, and hook up one of your ex-RAID1 drives as a slave drive and scan it sing the 'raw recovery' method, it should find any data left on there.

And for next time, just forget all about RAID... even Raid5 is a nightmare waiting to happen, unless (and this is mandatory IMO) you have the funds to duplicate the entire array on another machine.. :lesson:

:)

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,782
    Just use a PCI RAID card, rather than the onboard RAID chips. That way, should the m/b fail, you're ok, and if the PCI card fails, you just swap it out.....all data is a.o.k.!