Help - Losing Channels

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Damian, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Damian

Damian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help!

Had a second subscription installed on saturday. They had to fit a new dish and quad LNB on the front wall and install a cable to the back bedroom.

From Saturday night, the channels on the existing (Panasonic) box started to dissapear and by Sunday I was geting the 'No Satellite Signal Being Recieved' message.

Had to wait til Thursday to get the same engineer out who can and said there was a fault somewhere and fixed it in 1/2 hour.

Come Friday, channels again seem to be dissapearing (ITV, Discovery, Hallmark, Kerrang, etc - about 20 in total). The thing is that throughout all this the new Pace installation in the bedroom is working fine!

I've rang Sky and all they can say is that they can get another engineer out on Monday. I'm ready to go beserk - has anyone got any ideas. The original satellite was on the roof and the single box used to work perfect.

Can anyone help?

Thanks for your time,

Damian

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    A QUAD LNB has four independent LNB's in a single housing so maybe the LNB that the Panasonic box is connected to is failing but the LNB connected to the PACE is fine.
    Swap the Quad out and that should solve the problem, if that is the case don't let the installer just use another of the LNB outputs, get it replaced.

3. Damian

Damian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the early response.

How do you swop the quad outputs. Is it a screw connection? If so, is there any weather protection around the fitting? Is it an easy job?

I looked at the following site and found that the missing channels are all on the same frequency (?) - is this an LNB output fault?

http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/skyuk.shtml

Thanks again,

Damian

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Fairly easy to swap the connectors, they should be taped to prevent water damage and then unscrew the sheaths surrounding the cable and the LNB output.
    You mentioned Kerrang and ITV, they are on different satellites so this might point to a low/high band switching problem either within the LNB or the signal or lack of from the digibox.

Good site for more info.....FAQ

5. Damian

Damian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Starburst.

Guess its just ordinary electrical tape to reseal the connection.

I don't quite understand this high/low switching issue? Do you think that it might be a faulty LNB output? I wonder if the last engineer just swopeed the connection over.

Should I fiddle about with it or should I wait for Sky on Moday...

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Some channels are broadcast on a high band and others on a low band, along with H and V polarity this gives each satellite more capacity.
    The digibox sends a small voltage to the LNB which tells it to switch to low band or switch to high band, if this fails then you will not be able to access some channels.
    Quick test, try the PACE digibox on the LNB cable that is connected to the Panasonic digibox.
    If the PACE still works then it's probably not a LNB fault but a fault on the Pana digibox, to confirm try the faulty Pana digibox on the other LNB cable. If it's still faulty then you are 99% sure it's that digibox, high/low band switching or maybe tuner failure.

Anything more than that basic testing will have to be put on hold for the engineer to arrive, you don't know how he would react if you tampered with the dish/LNB.

7. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Maplins sell 'Self Amalgamate Tape' specially made for this job. It forms a rubber seal to waterproof the join.

[​IMG]