Help lookng for advice starter surround set - 2nd hand?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by z4forme, Nov 4, 2005.

1. z4forme

z4forme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I hope you guys can help me with some advice about surround sound processors/receivers. I've just bought myself a projector and I've pretty much blown all my spare cash on this and haven't left myself any real money to buy a surround system. Currently I'm getting sound by using my TV which has 5.1 built in and turning down the brightness and contrast (dont laugh ...)

So I've decided to look for a cheap starter AV amp that will match my system (or at least not screw it up) and get me started on the AV ladder so I can watch my films without having to have the TV on too.

I currently have:

Naim Nait 3R AMP
    Naim CD3 Player
    Ruark Talisman II Speakers

I want to buy an AV amp to provide surround for movies only and I'll leave my CD player connected up directly to the AMP for music.

I'm looking to spend less than £150 second hand for the AMP and less than £50 second hand for a centre speaker. I'll upgrade later when funds permit.

I've gone back through previous posts on the Naim forums and over time it appears the Yamaha DSP-E800 has been recommended as a good match for the current equipment. So has the Yamaha DSP-A5. Is this still the case or are there other receivers out there around this price mark that people like and will allow me to continue to use my Nait and Ruarks ?

I'm a newbie so please excuse if I'm asking an silly question I just want to ask some people with experience what they'd recommend.

Edit: Just seen the post below by mrash, looks like our requirements are very similar. Hope its ok to post this as well.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Kind Regards

Dave

(cross posted on Naim Forums)

2. jethro10

jethro10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have a look at www.richersounds.co.uk,

you'll easily get something for that price new, although probably end of line.
    Although nothing of the quality to match your current kit!. But with movies quality is a little less noticable.

Jeff

3. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any AV amp with a pre out for front speakers will let you keep the Naim for cd audio.
    In surround mode Naim will handle front speakers and AV amp will take care of Rear, front and sub signal. The Yamaha DSP E800 i'm using myself is geared exactlly for such a setup as it does not even have the possibility of hooking up front speakers that is left up to an external (sterio) amp. I woun't be parting from my Yamaha soon.

I've been using the Yamaha with powerfull older (affordable secondhand high end) amps who used to cost 1500 and 1200 euro (Luxman L510, L525, Accuphase E205) and the Yamaha could easlly match the demand.

4. z4forme

z4forme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the replies. Had a look at Richersounds, popped in there yesterday but there's so much choice not sure what to look at :confused: . Shame I can't buy some Naim gear to match I think she'd take a contract out on me if I did .... looking on manu's websites now to see if any of the receivers have preout's

heavenly93 - Its good to know you're happy with your E800 its very encouraging to hear you wouldn't change and that makes it much more appealing. Currently top on the list at the moment especially with its friendly price !

Anyone else recommend any alternatives I should look at ?

Thanks again
    Dave

5. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would change if i had plenty money to buy something much better, but more likely I would put that money in getting an even better stereo amp than I already have. For the money the DSP E800 has cost me... it would be very hard to find anything that could beat it. It's easy of use and setup is only beaten by it quality in decoding the incoming signal and giving me a surround sound that suites my needs.
    As additional information the DSP drives a B&W LCR60S3 center and B&W CM1 rear speaker.

6. z4forme

z4forme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    heavenly93, you're a star. Thanks for the heads up, I think you've pretty much helped make my mind up. Thanks for the additional info, I'll look out for those speakers too :) .

Cheers
    Dave

7. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now don't go running to fast...
    These B&W speakers i got because my front speakers also are B&W (DM640i).
    Mixing up speaker brands often seems to work, but I'm sure sometimes it doesn't. I wanted to be on the save side and focused on B&W. I do not know the brand you are using and maybe you should look into that brand range what's available!?
    BTW I've seen the E800 available on Ebay recently, and if you want to go cross boarders I did see one on a dutch secondhand website ;-)

Also other suggestions for an add on a nice secondhand AV amp might still be coming in on your thread...

8. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the yamaha service website you can download a pdf file of the DSPE800 and any other Yamaha your looking at... Can't find it!?, PM me with you emailadress...

9. z4forme

z4forme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, don't worry I won't go splashing out loads until I've got some advice from some Ruark users as to matched center and rears. And yep I'll wait to see if there are other replies before I buy, I've got wait until Christmas before I can open it anyway so I've got a bit of time.

Probably going to buy something cheap for center to get me by until I can get something suitable. Over to the speakers forum next ....

Thanks for the info about the yamaha website, got the manual. I'm very impressed with all the details on there. A lot of manu's tend to remove items from their website as soon as they're EOL, nice after sales yammy !!

Been watching them on ebay for a few days, there's a few on there so it looks like I've got some good options if the price is too high and would suggest they're reasonably common.

Wouldn't mind looking at that dutch site even if its just for price comp, are you allowed to post the link ?

Cheers
    Dave

10. z4forme

z4forme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought a e800, now to research more on centre speakers .....

Thanks for your advice

Dave

11. goldeneye243

goldeneye243

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am currently upgrading my cinema set up, which sounds like it might fit your needs.

Mods can I discuss it here ( I am a relative newbie to this forum and do not want to upset anyone!)

Thanks

12. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I would advise you not to solicit a sale outside the sales forum.