• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HELP: Looking For An Optical Audio Solution

Energy_C

Standard Member
Hi Guys & Gals,

Wonder if any one could drop me a suggestion as to what I could purchase to solve my audio problems.

I have a WD TV Media Player which streams 1080p .mkv movies from my hard drive to the LCD TV. A common problem has been found among other consumers of this product and that is that not all of the .mkv movies play the audio and the only way to solve this is to have an optical output to the sound system rather than through the hdmi cable.

My problem is that my Sony DAV-DZ410 sound system does not support optical audio, which I am quite annoyed about however it is what it is. So is there any thing available on the market for me to be able to convert the optical signal to a stereo one or even a component one? thank you for any advice or suggestions in advance.

thx1

Established Member
Hi

I guess you could try a DAC (digital to analogue converter)

You run the optical to the DAC which converts the signal to analogue. Then you run a phono lead from the DAC into your music system (which i am guessing will have an AUX input ) and thats it. You could try a Cambridge Audio DAC, but they are not cheap, maybe have a look on ebay for a used DAC.

Hope this helps....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom