1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!! Linn Music Amp , Sony Home Cinema, 1 set of floorstanders

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by shahedz, Apr 26, 2005.

1. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    i have a basic home cinema kit and music system comprising of the following seperates. Sony 830AV amp, Sony mindisc 510, Sony CD palyer, pioneer DVD.Tannoy rears, Yamaha Centre. Linn Preamp and Power amp, TDL rtl3 floorstanders

i want to connect both amps to the one set of speakers, is it ok to have both connected but only turn the amp i want to listen to you. or do i have to keep disconnecting the wire from the amp that isnt required. or is it possible to use the sony amp just to power the rear and centre. and use the linn to power the floor standers in movie mode, basically i want to be able to use the LINN for music and the sony for cinema.
    help i dont know what to do!

2. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shahedz, welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

have a quick look here as a starter:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207876

You need to check if your AV amp has stereo pre-outs, if so the stereo amp is connected to the pre-outs of the AV amp and the front L/R are connected to the stereo out.

There's plenty more information in the various fora, try searching for preouts.

3. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Hi Mango Bob
    thanks for the advice and , am picking up the Linn on saturday (another 2 days!!-cant wait) will follow your advice! thank you for the link. sounds pretty stright forward!

shahedz

4. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    one more question! when i am adjusting the volume. do i have to adjust both the linn amp ( if the spreakers are connected to his and the preouts from the sony cinema amp are connected to this) and the sony amp. or do i leavbe the linn amp on a set volume and then just adjust the sony amp?

5. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shahedz, please read the posts and do as much digging as you can - I've probably oversimplified it - I'm not using preouts/multiple amps the moment so am not commenting from experience!

Look for one of the detailed posts about doing this as they'll explain how to set up the various volumes...I wouldn't want you to connect anything wrong and cause damage!

6. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    will do, once again many thanks