• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help! Linkstation Pro Duo LS-WVL and Media Serving

BradleyLove

Established Member
So I took delivery of my brand spanking new Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo 2tb LS-WVL and have now set it all up, transferred some content and got it working. However, there's a major problem and I'm hoping I can get some feedback/help.

My primary purpose for the NAS was to act as a media server but as far as I can see, the media server capability is amazingly restricted.

The web configuration tool only allows me to select a single folder for the media server. Tversity Free version presents much more than this!!! :thumbsdow

So as a consequence, all my album artwork appears in the "Photos" menu. Very frustrating! Tversity allows me to specify specific folders for certain types of content whereas the Linkstation media server allows one folder and that's it.

Any ideas? Are the current Linkstations just this limited? Do I need to return it and consider an alternative? My priority from a NAS is a customisable media server.

Many thanks in advance for any help or feedback.

themediaman

Established Member
Investigate as to whether you can install third party server software on it like twonky etc, otherwise you may need to return it.........

What do you use to play your media files...........?

BradleyLove

Established Member
Investigate as to whether you can install third party server software on it like twonky etc, otherwise you may need to return it.........

What do you use to play your media files...........?
I can install other gubbins if I hack at it but I'd prefer it to work out of the box. I haven't the patience these days for hacking at things to get them to do what I want.

I'm using my PS3 to play media. I bought the NAS to replace using a USB HDD as I didn't want to go down the route of having a PC built to be a media server.

It's looking like the media serving capabilities of the Linkstations are a tad limited. :(

themediaman

Established Member

themediaman

Established Member
just googled myself and it states that twonky is installed as the main streamer, so make sure you have the latest version, of both nas and twonky software/firmware....................and have a look at that link, it may take some tinkering with the settings............

BradleyLove

Established Member
just googled myself and it states that twonky is installed as the main streamer, so make sure you have the latest version, of both nas and twonky software/firmware....................and have a look at that link, it may take some tinkering with the settings............
I've eventually managed to contact Buffalo and it turns out the Linkstation only supports a single folder for media serving and that's about it. If it does have Twonky then it's incredibly gimped.

Anyway, I've sold the Linkstation and gone for a Synology now which is infinitely better (although the actual device doesn't look as pretty).

Thanks for your help though.

themediaman

Established Member
good move mate.........

enjoy............

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom