HELP! Lightning Strike!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by svphile, Jun 14, 2009.

Tags:
  1. svphile

svphile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Took a big lightning strike not to far from my house. At the time of the hit my AVR350 was on but the input was not being used and nothing was being amplified. My AVR350 shut itself off and the red standby light was blinking. It powered back up OK and it seems to be operating fine.

Did it just go into protect mode? It is plugged into a pretty descent surge protector.

None of my other components turned off or seemed adversely affected.

We've been having some terrible weather lately. Big Scare!

2. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,530
    The surge protector should have protected the AVR350, and I don't think there was any AVR350 protect mode was involved.

The power cut that the surge protector used to protect your kit when the surge occured turned the AVR350 off, then when power was restored to the AVR350 by the surge protector, it turned on in standby mode.

Good thing you have a surge protector!

3. svphile

svphile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the response. Sounds plausable. I wonder why the red standby light was blinking? I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't budget protection into their system.

4. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,530
    I agree - I'm using a Belkin Surgemaster.

5. Canti1982

Canti1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yeah I was a bit concerned yesterday, we had some lightning strikes very close to us too.

I think I get overly concerned about my kit when there is a storm. I remember a fusebox opposite my house being hit which caused plugs to be blown up and light bulbs to break. All pretty crazy, when the power company turned up the next day to take a look and open it up they found that the inside had pretty been turned to dust :eek:

6. vistisen

vistisen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just last week I was staying at a conference centre that had put a wireless network transmitter on the top of their flagpole, It gave great coverage until the flagpole was hit by lightning. After this happened the whole of the network, all servers and everything connected was dead:devil: