1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP- LG 42PZ11 plasma or Toshiba 32WL48 LCD?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by NickyW, Oct 25, 2004.

1. NickyW

NickyW
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As both these displays cost about the same, I am in a dilemma as to which to get. I plan to use it for everyday TV viewing as well as part of an HTPC. I will be connecting via DVI. Will the quality of the plasma be blurred in PC mode? Will the LCD show a largely sqaurely pixelated display (eg boxy snooker balls). I am not too bothered by the size differnec. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

2. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The quality of these displays when attached to a PC is largely dictated by how closely the native resolution of the panel matches the chosen resolution on the PC.

If you use 640x480 on the LG, the picture will not be blurry. The higher the resolution you choose, it will start to blur as it has to downscale the image to fit the display. Although resolutions up to about 1024x768 should be quite usable (don't quite remember what resolutions I have tried).

The Toshiba will perform best with the PC set to 1024x768.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Graham! whilst the LG will work best at XGA, as it's XGA native, the tosh is 1366x768, so should be run at native. Never run a panel at other than native with a PC unless it's completely unavoidable. The tosh is probably a better bet for a PC, with a bit of luck it will be recognised by the DVI interface as a W-XGA panel, and you will not have to tweak. Likely it will want to use 60Hz though, which is not prime for PAL video. Ideally you'd use a multiple of 25. The Tosh is of course 'native' 16:9, ie the pixels are square, and all your windows apps will look normal. On a XGA res but 16:9 display, the pixels themselves are rectangular. This results in 'fat' icons etc, and text of course. Still perfectly sharp, but stretched sideways. You get used to it, and DVD software like Theatertek can compensate so that you don't suffer the effect with films. Good luck with the PC. We have a HCPC in our demo room, it's a considerable pain in the a**, so much fiddling araound needed. But then we swap resolutions to go from small LCD monitor to a projector, so maybe we've made a rod for our own backs.

4. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    what the fudge is your problem? I said that the LG would be best at the lower resolution, and the Tosh higher.

That all depends on what you are trying to do with it. If you want to see fine details for things like photo editing, then you need to run at the native resolution. If all you need is a large display of media files, etc. to choose between and view/play, then it doesn't really matter if it is scaled to fit on the display. If you have an interface that you want to be usable from a fair distance away, then you may want to run the PC in a low resolution anyway.

I quite agree, unless your intend use is dictating a low resolution. It is also going to be used for TV, etc. as well though, so it has to balance between various roles. Hence why I only gave an indication of the tradeoffs between the products in various circumstances, and made no recommendation of one or the other.

So is the LG, but at 852x480. Absolutely ideally you would you use 852x480 on the LG or 1366 x768 on the Tosh, in 16:9 mode. My experience is that I haven't been able to select either resolution, but that was a very limited test!

Ultimately, there isn't really anything to say against either display for PC use - apart from the potential for burn-in on any plasma - although you will get the best results the closer the resolution of your PC matches the native res of the screen. It all depends on how you intend using it.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's my problem, you are simply wrong. Again. And I hadn't clicked on the LG being a SD panel. The whole idea of HCPC is to let the graphics card do the scaling, not the panel, so the LG will be totally unsuitable. You can't fit a windows desktop onto a 480 high display any more, even the screen properties box is bigger than that. It forces you to run at non native. So go for the tosh, it's far more suited to PC use. I had wrongly assumed the LG was the XGA one, sorry.