HELP! LCD Returns B*lls Up!

vipergrm

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I hope someone can advise me on this :thumbsup:

I bought an Acer AT3201W 32" LCD TV from Savastore about a month ago and I sent it back after only 8 days because of several reason.

First, the movement was very jiddery and the pictures smeared an awful lot, especially when watching football.

Second, no matter what port I connected my PS2 to, I would get this silly interference on screen every minute or so where the screen would flash and the colour would go dull completey, then a minute later it would go back to normal. It did this in a cycle really. I tried both SCART sockets and composite but the same thing happened.

Third, Savastore have this advertised on their website as a 16ms response time. I checked the Acer website and the offical response time is actually 24ms. Some other sites have it as 12ms but that is grey to grey.

Now it gets difficult. I called Savastore and explained all the above. They agreed let me return the set for a full refund provided it was checked.

I gave them all my details and they arranged for collection. After some initial problems with the Courier, they came to pick up the TV a few weeks ago. It was in it's original box and all required details were on the box as required. The delivery driver gave me a document confirming the pickup etc and literally dragged the TV accross the road and into his van.

I guessed that would be the end but oh no. It is only the beginning. I checked the status of the return every day for 4 or 5 days. Then I phoned them because it was showing as 'not received'.

After many frustrating phone calls, Savastore told me the courier said that they definately didn't pick it up and was I SURE I posted it. *** if you wait in the house all day like and idiot, get a document and the Courier driver's name and mobile number then I would say that would make you pretty SURE it was picked up.

I have tried to contact Savastore every day this week but after 15 mins I get fed up and hang up. I don't have time for this nonsense because I have my own job during the day to worry about without phoning up these gitts all the time.

So, can anyone tell me, is there anything I can do legally to get this issue resolved? As it stands, they are going to bill me for this TV which the delivery company has obviously made a complete nonsense of. I'm worried that they might try and accuse me of stealing the TV or something. I have the courier document and the driver's name and phone number so what more proof do I need? Surely the problem now lies between Savastore and the Courier?

If anyone could advise me on this I would be EXTREMELY greatful. I have ordered a Samsung 46" DLP TV from Pixmania already and I don't want to pay for TWO TVs when I obviously only have one!

Many, many thanks in advance,

Viper :smashin:

Have you tried ringing the courier? find out if they have it or if they have passed it on.

also if you got it on credit card inform the credit card company.

make a photocopy of your reciept and put the original in a safe place

unfortunately when it comes to people not answering phones theres not much you can do, there is a website on the net that gives you direct dial numbers that may help you get straight thru, failing that try emailing them or writing a letter

good luck and keep us posted

As long as the driver signed some form to say he picked it up, they dont have a leg to stand on. Kick up a fuss get it sorted out asap, the longer you leave it the harder it will be to sort it out.

I agree supermackem. The driver didn't sign anything. He just gave me this document which apparently is proof that the package was picked up. It has all the relevant contact details, ref: numbers etc on it. Also, he left his name and mobile number on it so I'm sure if it came down to it I could easily contact him.

Ok, I just found out from the Courier that the parcel was picked up and returned to Savastore. They gave me a consigment number and a date it was delivered. Also, the driver DID sign the delivery document so I have all the proof I need. The Courier company were actually very helpful.

Savastore are an absolute disgrace. They keep saying they'll call me back but NEVER do. I am absolutely and completely SICK and tired phoning them. I've been wainting on average 25 mins to get through to folk who say they'll call you back but never do.

I haven't got the time during the day to keep phoning these bunch of wasters. Can I report their abysmal service to someone? I really don't think they are willing to help me at all now.

They even told me the courier said that they DEFINATELY didn't pick up the parcel. But after I called the delivery company they were able to tell me it WAS picked up and give me a consignment number.

My head is exploding with this situation. If anyone has any idea how I put the nail in the coffin with this one I would very much appreciate their comments. Many thanks,

Viper :smashin:

I would suggest telling your credit card company to sort it out as Savastore have been a bunch of Monkey Spankers.

UKBoy.

unfortunately its for these very circumstances that i in insist on buying from an actual store and not relying on a mail order or internet based company. Yes you pay an additional premium but i dont mind that if i have peace of mind. As UKBOY says though, get intouch with your CC company and they should be able to recoup the costs.

Thanks Guys. The problem is that it is through finance. It is buy now pay later kind of thing. They have a deposit of around £60 and the set up fee of £25. I am ringing them AGAIN right now. Not in a very good mood at all but I'll try and hold it together...

In that case, tell the finance company that the co refuses to deal with the situation.

Responsibility lies with the finance company to ensure the deal goes smoothly.

Good luck with your latest attempt, but if it was me and I got no joy this time, I would be straight onto the website of the finance company and demanding they cancel the agreement forthwith.

UKBoy.

UKBOY said:
In that case, tell the finance company that the co refuses to deal with the situation.

Responsibility lies with the finance company to ensure the deal goes smoothly.

Good luck with your latest attempt, but if it was me and I got no joy this time, I would be straight onto the website of the finance company and demanding they cancel the agreement forthwith.

UKBoy.

Id agree with ukboy ,credit is credit what ever type and you still have the same protection with finance. Technically the Tv is owned by the finance company so it is in their interests legally and morally to sort it

thelurch said:
Id agree with ukboy ,credit is credit what ever type and you still have the same protection with finance. Technically the Tv is owned by the finance company so it is in their interests legally and morally to sort it

That is GREAT advice. Thank you BUT... Here's the complicated part. I also ordered a Home Cinema kit costing £114.99. I did not send this back because there is nothing wrong with it. Infact it's great. Savastore said this would not be a problem because they could invoice me seperately.

Now, here's the REALLY messy part. I just called Savastore (on hold for 46 MINUTES!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: ) and this is what they have told me. They said the package was in an 'unfit state' saying that the box was damaged and they are going to CANCEL the return.

I got an e-mail (which I still have) SEVEN days after sending the TV back stating that the courier did not pick this up. Now, THREE WEEKS later they have only got round to telling me that they DO have the parcel after telling me they never received it. I have phoned them a ridiculous amount of times waiting on average 30 minutes to get through for someone to tell me they will 'call me back'. NOT ONCE did anyone mention they had the parcel.

If the box is damaged then surely they should have told me MUCH earlier?
How is this my fault?
Surely this is only a piece of cardboard and can be replaced at virtually NO cost?
Is there a regulator I can go to?

Sorry about all these questions but it is really bugging me. My girlfriend has been nagging me to get it sorted and it really is stressing me out. Many, many thanks in advance once again! :smashin:

They have said they are going to return this faulty product to me because the box is damaged. Are they really being serious???

how do viper, sounds a nightmare. You have proof of return which should include some kinda "in good condition" otherwise the courrier would've stated this!! Log every phone call you have made; times and duration including on hold; then contact your local trading standards. They should advise. But like ukboy says it is in the finance co hands and savastore and the courriers! Hope you get it soeted mate!

Hi,

Best initial advice I can give is to return the whole lot.

You can have absolutely no confidence in Savastore to carry out simple actions, be they agreeing to split the "deal" into two parts, or to be available for contact, for also failing to contact you to appraise you of an important issue regarding a returned item that they initiallly claimed had not been received, to only now tell you that it is in an unfit state.

You could argue that Savastore have (judging by their total lack of professionalism thus far) put the item in that state themselves.

The courier you used to return the item help up their part of the deal.

Ask for photocopies (from the courier company) showing who signed for and when, the return itself, which will prove safe receipt (and in a fit state otherwise it would not have been accepted back by Savastore at that point).

Send copies of all corres/communications with Savastore to the credit company and tell them you have no faith whatsoever with Savastore:having in good faith signed a credit agreement, you are entitled to courteous professional and timeous service, none of which you have received from Savastore, instruct the credit company to arrange cancellation of the contract, remain professional, courteous and resolute with them.

Explain that if they are unable to oblige and to resolve to YOUR satisfaction that you will reluctantly have to talk to trading standards, to pass the details onto Watchdog, if necessary consult a solicitor and to ask the credit company what professional/trade body they are represented by and write to them.

I would imagine that most of the threats will be unnecessary because when the credit company ascertain just how poor AND difficult Savastore have been in ALL regards they will sort it and rebuke Savastore.

Credit companies have a reputation to uphold even if Savastore dont care about theirs.

One last point, you could also forward all the correspondence to Acer as they will be upset that a dealer/retailer of THEIR products treats their customers so poorly, the fact that the tv "failed" is unfortunate but to compound it in the way they have, Savastore have sullied the product makers name as well as their own.

Good luck.

UKBoy.

\go straight to trading standards and write (on paper, not email) the store a letter, sent recorded stating that you have involved trading standards and will take legal action unless you get a full, immediate refund for the TV. Don't five them an inch. They are behaving appalingly and you have the right to a full refund. Go in hard and they'll probably fall over.

UKBOY said:
Hi,

You can have absolutely no confidence in Savastore to carry out simple actions, be they agreeing to split the "deal" into two parts, or to be available for contact, for also failing to contact you to appraise you of an important issue regarding a returned item that they initiallly claimed had not been received, to only now tell you that it is in an unfit state.

You could argue that Savastore have (judging by their total lack of professionalism thus far) put the item in that state themselves.

Ask for photocopies (from the courier company) showing who signed for and when, the return itself, which will prove safe receipt (and in a fit state otherwise it would not have been accepted back by Savastore at that point).

Send copies of all corres/communications with Savastore to the credit company and tell them you have no faith whatsoever with Savastore:having in good faith signed a credit agreement, you are entitled to courteous professional and timeous service, none of which you have received from Savastore, instruct the credit company to arrange cancellation of the contract, remain professional, courteous and resolute with them.

Explain that if they are unable to oblige and to resolve to YOUR satisfaction that you will reluctantly have to talk to trading standards, to pass the details onto Watchdog, if necessary consult a solicitor and to ask the credit company what professional/trade body they are represented by and write to them.

I would imagine that most of the threats will be unnecessary because when the credit company ascertain just how poor AND difficult Savastore have been in ALL regards they will sort it and rebuke Savastore.

Credit companies have a reputation to uphold even if Savastore dont care about theirs.

One last point, you could also forward all the correspondence to Acer as they will be upset that a dealer/retailer of THEIR products treats their customers so poorly, the fact that the tv "failed" is unfortunate but to compound it in the way they have, Savastore have sullied the product makers name as well as their own.

Good luck.

UKBoy.

I think ukboy is trading standards, fantastic advice mate!! Your cv should be sent to them immediatly!!

UKBOY said:
Hi,

Good luck.

UKBoy.

Thank You UKBOY. I really appreciate you taking the time to read through the post. Every thing you have said I will try my best because it seems like the most sensible solution. Sounds like you already know about Savastore's poor reputation for dumping on their customers.

Another Update.....

I was awaiting a phone call as PROMISED by Savastore yesterday. Of course, yet again I did not get a call from a manager, or the CSR agent and nor did I get an e-mail. YET AGAIN

I have just checked the status of the return order and it has changed from 'awaiting return' to 'item fully shipped'.

If I'm right, I think they are SENDING THIS FAULTY TV BACK TO ME! I can't believe how worse this can possibly get. If that is the case then i think I am going to refuse it and send it back, saying that the packaging was damaged like those A HOLES tried to do to me.

I am going to pack up the home cinema kit as well and send that back. Do exactly what UKBOY has suggested. Should I refuse to sign for this return?

Thanks everyone. This forum is my only hope.

Stereo Steve said:
\go straight to trading standards and write (on paper, not email) the store a letter, sent recorded stating that you have involved trading standards and will take legal action unless you get a full, immediate refund for the TV. Don't five them an inch. They are behaving appalingly and you have the right to a full refund. Go in hard and they'll probably fall over.

Thank you Stereosteve. That is also great advice. The only thing that bothers me about this is that it is going to Savastore who I have absolutely no faith in whatsoever. Every call I make now is being recorded. I only have one so far unfortunately and I would say I have called between 10 and 15 times in the past few weeks (average wait of 30 mins to answer).

I will follow UKBOY's advice and maybe pop a letter to Savastore anyway. I suppose it can't do any harm!

What do you think I should do if and when the faulty TV arrives back? Should I refuse to sign for it? Thanks

vipergrm said:
Thank you Stereosteve. That is also great advice. The only thing that bothers me about this is that it is going to Savastore who I have absolutely no faith in whatsoever. Every call I make now is being recorded. I only have one so far unfortunately and I would say I have called between 10 and 15 times in the past few weeks (average wait of 30 mins to answer).

I will follow UKBOY's advice and maybe pop a letter to Savastore anyway. I suppose it can't do any harm!

What do you think I should do if and when the faulty TV arrives back? Should I refuse to sign for it? Thanks

NO. Do not accept it. Once accepted then it is your product and have kinda accepted responsibility. Phone up trading standards first thing monday for proper advice, this is a sticky one, and need full and proper legal advice!! Hope you sort it mate

Out of interest, have you telephoned the sales department of Savastore ?.

How quickly do they answer the phone compared to the "other" departments ?.

A few times, when I have been unsure of using a dealer, I have phoned the CS/Help section just to see how long it takes for them to answer.If it was more than a couple of minutes, I haven't given them my money.

Some companies learn and others go down the gurgler but theres nowt more frustrating than placing an order in good faith and have them treat you worse than something to be scraped off the bottom of your shoe.

Presumably Savastore aren't currently worried about the potential lost revenue that their disinterest will bring about.

Thats a shame for all concerned.

UKBoy.

Dazzafact - thanks. I will phone up trading standards on Monday and explain the situation. I'm sure their number can be easily found on the net somewhere. I have called my family home (where the TV was picked up from ) and advised them to MAKE SURE THEY REJECT THE GOODS. I think that is really important. Thanks.

UKBOY - You are absolutely spot on again. I think I got through to their sales department within a minute on the few times I called. They didn't seem particulary interested in selling their stuff to be honest. Far from a typical salesman!

That is a great idea. Before buying anything it makes sense to call up customer services and get an idea of what you have to go through. The only web based company I know who actually make their call stats available for customers to view is Ebuyer. They took phone support away and then I guess they got too many complaints and brought it back. I have had no problems at all with Ebuyer. They are even VERY quick to reply to e-mails.

I have sent Savastore countless e-mails, even to their sales department and I have never got one single reply. They are a disgrace.

By the way UKBOY, you mentioned I should send the whole order back. As I mentioned before, the only other item I bought was the Philips Surround kit at £114.99. The problem is, I no longer have the box for this. Does this mean I cannot return the product?

Thanks again. I'll keep you all updated. Great advice guys.

Retailers/dealers will generally tell you that they cannot take items back without packaging, this of course is absolute cobblers and is designed to try and get you to keep the item and not bother them.

Take as an example a 32" tv, you buy it, run it for a week, it works fine, you bin the box and polystyrene etc and after 9 months (having not been moved from its position in the living room) would the guarantee be void because you didnt have the box ? no it wouldnt and for the same reason, you can return items that you are unhappy with.

In normal circumstances (this case is far from that) the dealer may charge you a restocking fee, which is designed to cover the fact that they may have to sell the item as a return/second hand item but what they consider a reasonable fee and what you consider reasonable can be two very different ends of a wide spectrum.

It appears that Savastore have left you with no option and no hope of future goodwill/confidence in the deal that you entered into in good faith and you can tell the credit company it is for that reason that you no longer wish to be associated with Savastore.

If they assist and you are happy with the way things are progressing, you may wish to (as goodwill on your part), agree to "meet in the middle" by keeping the other half of the item(s) ordered, provided that you believe this is a satisfactory conclusion and you are released from further dealings with Savastore who seemingly have acted at best poorly and at worst with contempt.

Chances are, if you agree to keep the other item(s) this will result in having to sign a new credit agreement but at least this will ensure that the other troublesome agreement is cancelled and you can have peace of mind in that at least.

Presumably the credit agreement is for a direct debit on a monthly basis from your bank current account, you can of course cancel this via your bank, but it would be wise to make appropriate contact with the local trading standards who by contact with the office nearest to the base of Savastore, be able to tell you how many similar complaints they may have dealt with in regards to Savastore and how best to proceed to achieve a resolution.

Cheers.

UKBoy.

Givn you've already paid £85 in total towards the TV, if you haven't had that refunded as of yet, tell the finance company you'll pay the remainder of the balance for the HC system.
As per all the previous ecellent advice, I'd strongly suggest you drop trying to deal with Savastore, and deal directly with the finance company - Savastore WILL listen to them if they get involved.
Otherwise, stand firm and refuse to be treated as a muppet. If you prove your willingness to have the matter resolved through the finance company, then any action taken by them will show you having tried your utmost to get the issue dealt with to a resolution, rather than trying to shy away from it.
Not that it'd come to that, but those are the lines I'd play it by, and chalk this one up to experience.
Equally, you could get info from Registration House on the comapny trading as Savastore, and write to the director(s) asking if they endorse this sort of behaviour from their staff, and if not, what do they intend doing about resolving your situation once and for all.

vipergrm said:
I have had no problems at all with Ebuyer. They are even VERY quick to reply to e-mails.

i used to buy from ebuyer

until a hdd i brought from them with a 3 year warrenty
went wrong 18 months down the line..

sent it back to them, so they can get it fixed or replace it.
to be told by ebuyer it has a 1 year warrenty not 3 years.
and because its 18 months old its now out of warrenty.

so i took them to trading standards.
and il never buy anything from that crap place again.

vipergm - really sorry to hear about your experience.. Savastore really have been nothing short of disgraceful!

I've just ordered a new plasma and in the end paid up to £200 quid more buying it from a national retailer (Comet) rather than going for a good deal on the internet... purely because of my worst fears that I might end up in a similar kind of situation that you have here with savastore..

I realise that not all online retailers are the same, some have a bit of professionalism and take care of their customers, and as a matter of fact.. some will say more often than not the bigger chains like Comet or Currys are also guilty of 'cowboy-like' customer care... i've experienced it myself in fact, only recently had a bit of hassle with a Samsung fridge ordered from Currys..

But I think the plus point in my view is that when dealing with the likes of Currys or Comet , there is ALWAYS someone to talk to if there is a problem... you're not in a situation where you keep calling up and can't get through ..and usually, there is someone above your first point of contact who you could also talk to if things dont work out, such as a manager...

At the end of the day these big boys have their reputations at stake and my experience has been that if you know how to make your points and talk to the right people, in the end the CUSTOMER ALWAYS WINS..

I would much rather be arguing with a manager at Currys customer service .. than some dodgy bloke sitting at the back of a garage (so-called 'managing director' of Savastore), and demanding a refund and knowing that he'll make life as difficult as he can for you...

It is for this reason alone, that I would never use small-time online retailers no matter what their prices...remember, the only reason their products are cheap is because their after sales service is also cheap.. ( I say cheap both metaphorically but also literally in that it costs them next to nothing, not even a phone call ! :) they leave that to the customer.. if anything, they might have set up a premium rate number and look to earn a few bob by making the customer call time and again and wait for 15-20 mins each time.. )

Not all are alike however, i'm sure others have had positive experiences with online retailers.. but then maybe some ppl are also prepared to take the discounted price at the expense of poor customer service..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom