1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help...LCD choice.....HDCP...HDMI...DVI

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by danny76, Jun 28, 2005.

1. danny76

danny76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay guys - I have been reading loads of posts on here for about 3 hours and have learnt a lot....but am still a bit confused....I hope you lot can give me a bit of advice here...coz you will cert. know more than me!!!

Bascially, I want to buy an LCD TV....between 26 and 30 inches....I am going to use it to run a media centre PC (not decided between Showshifter or XP yet - but that is for another day!) ....so I want to watch TV, DVD's, listen to MPS's and use as a normal PC/Linux station. I have been looking at LG RZ26LZ50.... http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/455_183466.html - I thought this looked like a good mid-market LCD and also had a DVI connection....great I thought...digital! Should be HD ready....

But, I am getting all confused about HDCP.... I know from reading on here that all LCD's with an HCMI port are HDCP enabled....and will thus be able to show DVD's in HD in the future. But it seems really cloudy to me about composite and DVI connections and if these will also be able to show HD - some retail sites say yes others No!!! (for example some say that this LG is HD ready - but most sites say that it is not HDCP enabled...so how can it be HD ready!!!!!).........So I would like to know if LCD screens with DVI connections be able to show HD TV/DVD's when it comes out....I just want to make sure that if I buy this TV I will be able to watch DVD's in the future and will not have to invest in a new screen in 2 years time!

Cheers for your time,
    Dan

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Dan

The link you gave to the comet site says that it has no HDMI, no DVI and no HDCP. but it does appear to have component input but I cannot see what resolutions it supports. It does however say that it takes VGA input but again, no supported resolutions are noted.

The UK website for LG is http://uk.lge.com/index.do

This website says that it does have a DVI-I connector, but doesn't state HDCP compliance - IMO, if it doesn't say HDCP compliant, it won't be. The screen is also 1280x768, ie 15:9 and the relative poor figures for contrast would indicate that this is an older style panel. Unfortunately, the LG site, as far as I can see, no mention again is made of the supported video/PC resolutions.

Based on this information, it is unlikely that it will work with upsampling DVD players or the Sky HD service. So don't go buying at Comet, find out that it doesn't do what you want then expect a refund because their website says that it is basically not HD ready. But it would appear that it would work with a PC, although there is contradictions whether this is via DVI or VGA style and no information what video resolutions and refresh rates it supports. Whether you will find 1280x768 enough will also depend on what you are use to at the moment. However, for the time being, not being HDCP compliant when used as a PC monitor is likely to cause any issues. But you next graphics card may be HDCP compliant (not by choice), which would then render this display potentially useless.

-Ian

3. danny76

danny76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ian,
    Your a star... thats helped... don't buy this LG!!!

What would people on here recommend I buy - I have 850 quid or therabouts... going on what I have read and what Ian has said I guess it is best spending a bit more and getting HDCP..... either thu' a HDMI or a DVI (with HDCP enabled).... are there LCD screens out there that are 16:9 and HDCP enabled for this sort of price???

Contiuning my confusioion here....I have looked at the Phillips 26PF5520D/10 - again the comet website says not HDCP enabled http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/455_260797.html ....but the Phillips site says YES!! http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...e=CONSUMER&productId=26PF5520D_10_GB_CONSUMER ......if you hover over teh HD ready bit on the phillips site it says the DVI is HDCP enabled.....

This is an absolute minefield... any help you lot can give me in not being blown up here would be great!!!

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    It is an absolute minefield, but my best advice is try before you buy. I know it may not be practical, but I carted round my hefty DVD player to a number of shops and plugged it in to the machines on my shortlist. As luck would have it, the set that I didn't try I ended up buying and when I ended up with a minor compatibilty problem, I had a few sleepless nights wishing that I had tried it before buying. In the end it worked out fine, a problem with the order that things were being powered on, but if you have specific requirements, no shop is going to accept responsibility if a owner is expecting specific results to a part of the functionality but it fails to deliver, but works in a different way than intended.

-Ian

5. Bill S

Bill S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would agree with Ian. One of the problems is testing if any set is HD Ready!
    Until Sky actually transmit HD (and a channel that requires HDCP) and we have DVD players that will give us 720p50 AND 720p60 (USA disks) to test the set, we cannot be SURE (IMHO).

We have had great fun with the Aldi/Tevion 32" LCD (see thread on this forum). It was, and still is in some Aldi stores, sold as an HD Ready set. At £750 it's a bargain.

Testing it has proved problematical. Most sets seem OK but a few fail when connected to a Samsung 745 upscaler giving 720p50. But is that the Samsung or is it the Tevion? Magazine reviews say its HD Ready - but how did they test?

We are lucky in that Aldi offer a no quibble money back guarantee for the first year - so if it doesn't work when Sky (and Blu-Ray) arrives we can take them back, get full refund, and buy when both sets have been tested and prices have come down! :thumbsup:
    Also they made an error and claimed it could display a 50/50 split screen with TV & PC - it can't! so the set is not sold as advertised - which gives us all sorts of legal protection!

Personally, I'm glad I got the Aldi/Tevion - at least I'm covered! - I won't end up with a non-HD Ready TV!

Bill

6. danny76

danny76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian and Bill....
    I thought it was just me who wasn't sure on all this....at least I have an idea that it might not work....think of all those poor peaople spending a fortune in Currys/comet and not knowing!
    I will go and look at both the Tevion and the Samsung LE32R41B....both seem good and the Samsung LE32R41B thead is very imformative.....good price and worth the 'gamble' esp. we can take them back in a year!
    Cheers again,
    Dan

7. Michaelknell

Michaelknell
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm looking at buying a Neovia 32" LCD but I'm a bit confused.
    http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/107784/art/neovia/neo-3205dt-hd-ready-16-9.html#
    It has a response time of 8ms which is great for me as i will be using it with my PS2 and in the future my PS3. the main thing I am confused about is the HD aspect. It says on pixmania that it does not have HDMI. However, on Neovia's site it says it is HD ready.
    http://www.premiumwanadoo.com/www.neovia.biz/en/fiche-tv.php?id=40&ref=1
    The main thing i want HD for is Sky TV but i would love it if I could use my PS with HD too. Would this be possible and if so what leads would I need? Also, do you think I could have them both connected together?

8. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    If it has an HDCP enabled DVI connector, then you're fine. Similarly for component input.
    If it has no mention of HDCP but does of component and/or DVI, then it'll still work, but only for broadcasts and disks that don't have the HDCP flag set.
    Best fire an e-mail off to the manufacturer or pixmania and enquire further before making the plunge.
    Always better to be safer than sorrier.