Help! KTA7 board and Tbird 1.2ghz

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Metric, May 10, 2001.

1. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    using 300w psu sometimes it boots, wont reboot properly, sits at the nvidia card page. moaned about cpu being unworkable, finally sorted that (it kept crashing when you went into the bios) now ive stuck it in a different case, with a 250w amd psu wont output, no beeps and the unit working....help

2. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can you explain your problem in more detail? While i will probably be able to help you, try this place. Post a question on their board and you can expect a very quick answer.
    http://forums.anandtech.com

Its a very good place for stuff on PC. Remember to explain your problem in detail!

3. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  4. Craig Crane

Craig Crane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At least you got as far as you did. I bought the same from MICRO ANVIKA and they gave me the wrong fan. FRIED, DEAD, CAPUT, FULL REFUND!

5. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the links guys.

here is the jist of it.

Got a case with 300w psu not amd approved, plumbed in the board etc and booted up. First i got checksum error a few times, changing the ram configuration fixed this. Next boot it got as far as telling me the cpu was 'unworkable'. Now from the french manual that came with it i worked out that this is a default setting problem and to go into the bios and change the cpu speed. Tried doing this and id get into the bios and it would freeze before i could do anything.

I tried all sorts of combinations with the fan power cables etc. I changed the video card from an tnt to another and then to a g400...still no good. I removed the awe64 gold and i could get into the bios and change the cpu. Next boot came up with 12x100mhz cpu (i thought it was a 133) and it was moaning about lack of o/s as expected. Cntrl alt delete or flicking the reset switch eiter resulted in the machine hanging on video card info screen or a black screen. Switching the machine off an on made it boot to the no o/s section but hitting delete to enter the bios resulted in a blank screen.

I have an old athalon 600 so pulled it out of its case and put the new board in, its a 250w psu but amd rated. The unit powers up but just has a blank screen.

Ive emailed the company who sold it me to ask for advice as i dont know which if any is faulty or if its the psu problem. Ive asked if i can return it all and get a p4 solution already built but ive nothing yet.

Mike

6. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have just built an Athlon 1Gb on a KT7A-RAID, which was also hanging up on starting.
    Try setting the cpu bios settings to default, I did and it fixed it.
    Ken
    PS. You should reset your CMOS first before starting.

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Ken ]

7. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers, i already tried that, keeps coming up with 1200 as though it detects it ok, then it gives a checksum error..which is the cpu, the bios shows it at 500mhz changing that to 1200 allows the machine to boot, but it wont do it again a second time. I also discovered that the second ide channel is faulty.

Mike
    PS just put the 600 back together without any of these problems.

8. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Metric
    What is the bios ver on the KT7a?

Del

9. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ill have to try and get it booting, but i think there is a physical problem with the boards second ide channel so its gonna have to go back...christ knows how im going to get the heatsink and fan back off the damn thing.

cheers
    Mike