Help, Just got screen burn! Panasonic 42px60

D

davyb33

Hi all. I wonder can anyone give me guidiance. I fell asleep on the sofa last night at around 12 watching a dvd(Guess we all have done that). When i woke at 5am i switched of kit and went to bed. Got up this morning and have got light screen burn on one side of the tv. Was watching U2 vertigo dvd and one side of the menu is static and the other is moving, so it was on the menu for 3 hours or so. Is there any thing i can do? Is it likely to be permanent? Help, i only bought the tv 3 months ago!

Don't panic! After 3 or 4 hours, it is likely to be retention, rather than permanent screen burn. Put on an untuned channel (white noise) for a couple of hours and this should cure it. :smashin:

Don't worry, screen burn is very very rare.

Probably retention, which can take a while to dissappear too(sometimes weeks)

Thanks, does that mean that TV is going to be more prone to screen burn in the future?

Screen burn is almost impossible nowadays.

I have a pioneer myself, and these appear to be more sensitive to retention than other plasma's, but I'm not worried I'll ever get screen burn. I think you'll have to display the same image for a few months in a row.

Maybe you should turn your set off and look at the area where you have the retention/burn, if it is burn you'll be abled to see it even with the set turned off. if it's retention you won't see anything.

dimitri

I dont think i can see anything with the set turned off, but its hard to tell as the light is not great. How long would an image have to be static for to allow it to burn on the screen?

weeks, maybe months.

It's really a rare event with the new plasma's.

so how do you get rid of this ?

I've just received a "new" 50" PX600 and I've noticed on light backgrounds a "press i" logo is easily seen. I think I've been sent a shop model that has clearly been left on BBC news 24 for too long. If I keep the TV will this eventually diminish -or do I need to do something to get rid of it.

On Dimmies basis it does not appear to be screen burn but it could have been on for many hours. I think the TV has been kindly "run in" for over 600 hours !

redalien said:

I've just received a "new" 50" PX600 and I've noticed on light backgrounds a "press i" logo is easily seen. I think I've been sent a shop model that has clearly been left on BBC news 24 for too long. If I keep the TV will this eventually diminish -or do I need to do something to get rid of it.

On Dimmies basis it does not appear to be screen burn but it could have been on for many hours. I think the TV has been kindly "run in" for over 600 hours !

More than likely it will dissapear over time, I would however contact the retailer regardless and demand a replacement or a refund. This is unnaceptable if you weren't told it was ex-display or graded.

Like the other guys said, it'll 99% certainly fade away. In fact, it'll more than likely go with a couple of hours regular viewing...

redalien said:
... I've noticed on light backgrounds a "press i" logo is easily seen ...

Panasonic need to be :censored: about that on-screen logo - many DVB-T implementations will automatically remove that message after a minute or so on-screen e.g. set top boxes like the Sony VTX800U.

BUT NOT Panasonic!

It seems they are too thick to implement this!

They even emailed me saying it could not be removed from the screen as it is provided by the program provider - but you CAN - by pressing the "Green" button - their so called Technical Support team didn't even know that!

Gussie :)

redalien said:

I can't really answer that one, I have a ghost image of a static tv logo myself, and I've had it for weeks now. It does seem to fade slowly, but it's been there for a few weeks now, but it's not annoying anymore.

I'm thinking about having my pioneer "whitewashed" as it is still under warranty, that means a service center picks it up and unleashes an intense white signal on the screen to even things out. That should be enough to remove the retention I have now. And pray that it doesn't occur again, as it happened in the "running in" period when the screen is most sensitive to retention. People claim that as the screen ages, it becomes less sensitive to retention. which could be true, as no new retention has shown itself lately.

Did you get the screen with retention already on it?!

Does a white wash mean that it will not have the logo on it any more? Is it covered by the warranty or do you have to pay for it?

davyb33 said:
Does a white wash mean that it will not have the logo on it any more? Is it covered by the warranty or do you have to pay for it?

It's said it will remove any retention from your screen. within warranty it's free(at least with pioneer). I should even get a replacement screen while they're fixing mine.

First I'm waiting on a dvd developed by pioneer that should wash your screen at home, but I haven't got it yet. when I do I'll let everyone know. It should work on other brands too.

dimmie said:
First I'm waiting on a dvd developed by pioneer that should wash your screen at home

Hmm, finally they have thought about this issue. Seems very sensible to incorporate it more and more into consumer items such as DVDP.

Keep us informed on developement / production - I like the sound of it...

PS - Does it also wash the windows? :D

On Panny PX600s in the service menus there is a test pattern that alternatively passes white and black bars across the screen. Apparently that does the same job.

Or connect a pc/laptop to the plasma and present a totally white image?

Im sure there must be programs to do this also

JTHM said:
On Panny PX600s in the service menus there is a test pattern that alternatively passes white and black bars across the screen. Apparently that does the same job.
Does the px60 have this feature, and if so how do we get access to it?

In the service menus - check out the PX60 and PX600 owners threads for details on how to access them but don't actually change anything in those menus unless you know what you're doing or things may go well squiffy.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom