Help!! JPG reading on Panasonic EX77

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by malcom, Jan 23, 2008.

1. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Help ripping what is left of my hair out.........Just bought Panasonic HDD/RAM recorder DMR-EX77 which is supposed to read jpgs from CD-R/ CDRW etc.

All I get when putting such discs in recorder is either "No read" or Unsupport" messages.... What am I doing wrong??????

I have tried discs that have not been finalised for use on other computers and also discs that have and still no JPG reading.....I have not included folders. I have named them "3" digits only.....What am I doing wrong or is my unit faulty!!!!

Tested it with home made CD music discs and no problem reading them...

2. Adrian_F

Adrian_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
  3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It may depend on the source of your images. Are they from a digital camera or something else?

The simplest reason is that your images are 'progressive' JPGs.
    There are three ways of saving JPGs:
    1. Baseline
    2. Baseline Optimized (in Photoshop - I'm not sure how it differs from Baseline)
    3. Progressive - essentially designed for the dark days before broadband. The image is built in 'layers' so thet users of slow lines would see it appear gradually 'all over' instead of very slowly from top to bottom.
    Image editors usually give you a choice of JPG format. I don't know of anything which lumbers you with Progressive, like it or not

Generally, DVD players will not read (3). I don't know about (2), but are happy with (1).

Without going to to a lot of trouble to find out what yours are I suggest you get a copy of IrfanView: a free image viewer and other things from http://www.irfanview.com/

It has a batch facility which will take a list of images and copy them all to a new location (or overwrite the originals - not recommended) as baseline. This is a fairly simple operation, but you will have to learn a little bit about IrfanView.

One hint: to start IrfanView batch processing, just start it and type B. Specify the output as JPGs and in Options make sure Progressive is not checked.

Another possibility is that your images have a problem with embedded EXIF data - don't even ask!
    IrfanView will also remove this.

P.S. If you use Nero 'Create Data Disk' to create your CDR/CDRW it should ensure the disk is correctly finalized for reading 'away' from the PC. I use a couple of CDRWs which can be read correctly in my DVD machine (Pioneer HDD/DVD) after repeated additions and changes.

4. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Guys I have some experimenting to do and loose even more hair.

Something I still don't understand though. When they say CD-R or CDRW or DVD-r. etc. Do these discs have to be made so they can be read on all computers (Finalised so to speak) Or can I just put images on a CD-r and remove from computer allowing more images to be added if desired. Are those sort of discs read by the E77 ??????

My images are from a Nikon digital camera (D50) so they will have some extra hidden detail I believe. They have been edited in Adobe element 4.

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Briefly, yes. When you add to a CDR or CDRW then the effect is that a new table of contents is written to deal with the changes. I don't know the exact technique, but Nero seems to take care of it. I recently had a CD/R with some old data files on it (PC backups of spreadsheets, text and so on) and I successfully flagged these for 'deletion' and added some JPGs. This disk is OK in a neighbour's Crown DVD player to show the images. The old data files don't show on my PC either, but their space is 'consumed', so to speak.
    The big difference is that you can erase a CD/RW and start again from a genuinely blank disk.
    Two possibilities:
    1. You inadvertently saved your images as progressive in PSE4.
    2. The EXIF data the camera wrote is still in the images and your player doesn't like it.

IrfanView will clean up both

6. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Many thanks but I am still not clear. Should I make the discs playable on all computers or not or leave them unfinalised before trying them in the E77

Regarding the hidden info. Such info will be on the images on an SD card will it not and yet the E77 says it will read them.!!!!

Worried about trying my SD cards in case the machine is faulty.

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I just thought of something else...
    Digital cameras have a very specific folder structure. I read on another forum that some DVD JPG players want this.
    I just downloaded you op. instructions from Panasonic and on page 7 it shows a folder structure for DVD-RAM and cards.
    I couldn't find anything about similar rules fro CD.
    All I know is tht DVD-RAM looks rather like a PC disk, so maybe that is the reason for the file structure.
    Thre are some somewhat ambiguous notes on page 37 about JPGs on CD.

8. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Nero will finalise the disks anyway. In fact Nero 6 doesn't even ask - it just does it.
    Hardly any machines will play unfinalised CDs which have been written on a different machine. My Pioneer is quite specific about this.
    Sometimes you get lucky with a PC CD drive that will read unfinalised audio CD from a domestic Hi Fi CD writer/recorder.

I think you would be OK trying the SD card. I doubt that the EX77 has SD card writing capability. The risk is up to you.
    But Panasonic would be truly daft if their machined spoiled SD cards.

9. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    I would think the disk would have to be finalised to be read on the dvd recorder ( a data disk - finalised )

on my sony 970b I can view jpegs from my digital camera ok , from a cdr or from a usb stick , and can copy to hdd and view from there , doesnt matter if they are in folders or in the root directory

I dont think panasonic would make it any more difficult

10. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,054
    All issues of folder structure or filenames etc. are completely irrelevant if the disc cannot be initialised ... as evidenced by the 'No read' message.

The machine cannot even see what is on the disc at all because it cannot access it.

This is more than likely just a disc incompatibility, either at the burn stage resulting in a poor quality burn... making it difficult for the playback machine to read the table of contents.

11. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

According to the manual it will write to SD cards. Hence why i wont risk it. Also i am sure I read somewhere in the jungle of words that it won't read finalized DVD-R discs disc with JPGs the reason it said is because a finalised DVD-R becomes a DVD and it won't read JPGs on DVD. So I assume rightly or wrongly same logic applies to CD-R and CDRW discs......To finalize or not finalize . Anyway have tried both with no joy.

Just put some JPGs on a RAM disc and that caused the machine to freeze. It showed the number of images but not the images and then came up with a U99 error message and had to put it in recover mode to remove disc.

No problems so far with other features of the machine. I must be doing something wrong but what!!!!!!!

12. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for that. As I'm thinking of replacing my Pioneer HDD/DVD (no Freeview) you comments about the Sony are really useful :)

13. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    perhaps you are doing nothing wrong and its the jpegs themselves as mentioned earlier

might be worth getting hold of some standard jpegs off the net and trying those instead

14. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Thanks but have done that also.......

15. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,054
    You can save jpegs to CD-R / RW , DVD-R / RW and -DL only.

The disk MUST be closed session [ finalised ] and conform to the requirements laid out on page 77 of the manual.

But I repeat - none of this matters if your disk will not initialise.

The message you get when you insert the disc is crucial.

Be very clear about what you report.

16. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Using a closed session CD-R I get the message. "unsupport"

I have tried a closed session CDRW same result. The manual does not state DVD-RW discs can be used.

17. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just risked trying the SD card and that worked.........

18. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just risked trying the SD card and that worked.........

19. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,054
    It does actually - in several places. See specification page 98 under 'Playable discs' JPEGS are listed separately for the DVD and CD types.

Unsupported means as you would expect that the disc type is not a playable type of disk in this machine... so the question is why.

Are you definitely using - type discs and not + types?

What program are you using to create the discs?

Are you making a Data disc?

Have a look through the notes on pages 75 76 and 77 to see if everything matches as it should.
    Especially check page 75 to see that nothing disqualifies it.

Good luck.

20. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am using CD-R discs. Jpgs taken on Nikon D50. Closed session. Just done another one and got the message again "unsupport" and also on tv screen message disc incompatable...

Roxio drag and drop software. Copy the file and past onto CD-R then close the session.

The reason I thought DVDRW excluded as on page 34 no mention of DVDRW in heading list of compatible discs...
    The ones listed are.......DVD-R, DL, or CD-R/CD-RW made on a PC

21. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    must be a program or a burner problem then

can these disks be seen on other pc,s or dvd players , are all they all faulty/unsupported ?

try sonic v7 or nero , and make a data disk

22. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    On page 77 it lists the JPG playable discs but no mention of DVD-RW for JPGs.

23. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    this packet writing system of theirs can suffer from many problems
    ie:- you may have closed the session but the disk may not be finalised

try nero6 or 7 , or sonic v7 , load in the jpegs into a data disk , write it , test it

or try this h**p://www.imgburn.com/

24. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

I have used this software extensively without problem. All play on the computer and a spare old computer I have. All DVD recording copying I have done plays in the DVD player/recorders. I think the problem is with the Panasonic machine. I have contacted Panasonic support to see if they have any suggestions......

25. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    and I think its the roxio packet writing system

try this

h**p://www.computeractive.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2203827/burnaware

or this

h**p://www.computeractive.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2172510/finalburner

or this

h**p://www.computeractive.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2199891/cdburnerxp

or this

ht**://www.computeractive.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2144830/deepburner

all freebies

26. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,054
    .. and I agree.

27. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    read this review of the packet writing of direct to disk

h**p://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2002/11/20/ecrboot20.xml

I will quote the relevant section

Packet writing is a variant of TAO recording, and overcomes problems with the way data has to be organised into uniform blocks or tracks in TAO recording. Packet writing allows files of any size to be recorded on to the disc, making more efficient use of the space available and it allows data on rewritable (CD-RW) discs to be selectively erased, effectively turning a CD-R/RW into a giant 650Mb floppy disc.

The downside is reduced compatibility and it is less reliable. If a writing session fails, all of the previously recorded data on the disc may be lost and the relevant software used to format the disc has to be running on the PC in order to read and write data.

notice the section that says it has to run the software to read the data !!!!!

only a pc can do this , which is why it works on your pc,s

28. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have dowloaded Nero. However before trying it I put a blank DVD-RW disc in to try and record to. The message "unsupported" appears. So I can't record to DVDRW disc either. Machine faulty surley.....

29. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    it seems to me you have it fixed in your mind that the panasonic is faulty and will not be swayed from this supposition

I have linked you to 4 or 5 free burning softwares , asked you to try nero in an earlier post , and quoted reasons why direct to disk by roxio cannot work on your panasonic , and yet you still seem to be determined that the panasonic is faulty , we are all wrong and you are right !!

now why is that ?

did you want our help or not ?

if you did , then try some of the suggestions posted and stop being obtuse

thank you

30. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am sorry but that is not the case. The machine won't record to DVDRW discs. it gives the "unsupport" message. JPGs problem aside this machine should accept and record to DVDRW should it not.??????