Help - Jacobean 3 Story House - Best WiFi or Powerline?

Jenz

I’m moving to a 3 story Jacobean property. It was built in 1621 so I have no possibility of running Ethernet around the place.

it has a ground to 3rd floor central stairwell. With clear line of sight from ground to 3rd floor.

I have want to provide the house on all floors with strong WiFi. The current owner has a BT Smart Hub 4 and on the 1st floor and the WiFi does not reach the ground floor or the 3rd floor - just one bar.

I was thinking of the TP Link Deco 1200 units with Powerline also? Or I was thinking about WiFi 6. There is so much choice that it’s not clear how best to tackle or which products?

Thoughts?

oneman

Not sure why you can't run Ethernet ? Yes it will be effort to do it but its a one time effort and will give you the most reliable performance.

I've worked with listed building and other restricted locations and never not found a way of doing it. You might be better off calling a professional.

Upvote 0

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Listed building status maybe...?

I recall one place I worked where some of it was Grade 1 listed - we couldn't knock a picture hook into a wall without planning permission!

Upvote 0

Jenz

It is Grade 2 listed. I was hoping to achieve good throughput without extensive running of Ethernet.

Upvote 0

oneman

Listed building status maybe...?

I recall one place I worked where some of it was Grade 1 listed - we couldn't knock a picture hook into a wall without planning permission!
I know, I've work in grade 1 but so far we have always found a way. Normally surface mount, not the best but its all they would allow. With flat cables we have generally managed to do a neat job.

Upvote 0

oneman

It is Grade 2 listed. I was hoping to achieve good throughput without extensive running of Ethernet.
I would think one run to each floor should be enough, flat cable under the stairs and then under flooring if possible maybe. If you are having problems within the floor then powerline within the floor is possibly a solution.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 24354

What type of construction is the property. Given the height I am assuming Brick and Stone construction with lime plaster walls ? This construction maybe challenging for Mesh Wifi systems. Powerline maybe a good option, depending on the age and state of the wiring. Unfortunately it is going to be a case of suck it and see.

My brother lived in a Grade 1 listed building for 6 years and I know how hard it is to get anything done - even for electrical works on Grade 1 Listed and Scheduled Monuments you actually have to be on a list of approved contractors with EH, otherwise you cant do the work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Jenz

Thanks all for the responses. It's Brick and Stone. I am assuming plaster walls yes.

Here is the internal 3D Model if that helps?

You can see from it the challenge of the central stairwell. So this is why I was thinking of using say a TP-Link Mesh Network for Wifi with Powerline backhaul such as the TP-Link Deco P9 series?

My second challenge is Internet. Its in an excellent Three 4G Broadband location outside getting circa 50-60MB. But BT wired broadband is on 4MB down and 1MB up :facepalm:

So I have to also get Three 4G sent around the house. So was going to get a decent 4G Router to handle that?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 24354

Looking at your property I dont think that a mesh wifi is going to cut it. It is IMHO too big for a simple mesh product. I think that you need somebody to come and have look at your property and give you some advice based on a survey. This unfortunately does not look like a cheap solution. I am involved in a similar project on a similar size and age of house and this is quite a large undertaking. Good luck and I hope that you find a solution.

Upvote 0

Jenz

Looking at your property I dont think that a mesh wifi is going to cut it. It is IMHO too big for a simple mesh product. I think that you need somebody to come and have look at your property and give you some advice based on a survey. This unfortunately does not look like a cheap solution. I am involved in a similar project on a similar size and age of house and this is quite a large undertaking. Good luck and I hope that you find a solution.
Thanks. Would you elaborate on why a Mesh wouldn't cut it? I was thinking that a Mesh node on each floor (all 3) all placed in the central stairwell would have uninterrupted transmission to each other and provide reasonably coverage throughout each horizontal floor?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 24354

How are you going to get power into the stairwell? Plus your main node is going to have to be wired to your router. Are you going to do this with powerlines? That is a lot of hoping all of the technology works together (and we already know that it is fickle in its own right. Combining the two is just adding more points of failure to your network. First you need to check if your wiring will support powerline reliably. Then you need a wireless survey to ensure that your proposed wireless solution will provide adequate wifi signal.

Upvote 0

Jenz

The Stairwell on all three floors already has power, multiple sockets on each.

The Router if I use BT Broadband is on the first floor actually on the 1st floor landing. So the master socket and therefore Router and main node would be there.

If I use 4G Broadband that needs to be at the top of the house hence would need a wire from the 4G Router to the Mesh node on the top floor. Messy I know :(

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 24354

OK then I would start by buying / borrowing a pair of powerlines to see how well they behave on your network. If you want to borrow a set, I have a set of BT AV600's you can borrow, if you just cover the postage. PM me if you want to borrow a set.

Upvote 0

Jenz

Thanks I have a set of Devolo 1200's which I am going to initially try and if they work maybe invest in the TP Link Mesh.

Upvote 0

maf1970

From checking ,The place you live at has been divided into a number of flats. Have you tried speaking to the other residents to see how they approached this problem ?
Have you checked with the local authority as to what you can and cannot do as it is a listed building?

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom