Reaction score
Hello people,

My current setup is:

M&K K7s fronts and centre
M&K K4 tripole rears
Velodyne 10 sub
Arcam AVR 300 amp.
Arcam DV79 dvd.

But I want to upgrade :rolleyes: budget around £2000. Used mainly for movies via Sky+ and the Arcam. But occasional music mainly soul/rnb/dance.

These are the speakers I am considering:

Cabasse X1s
Mission Elegantes e82s
Kef 50005s
Kef 9000ACEs

Thanks for any views/opinions.

If that's a CHT10 sub, I'd say it was probably the only really weak point in there, surely?

Something like the SPL12 would be a good place to start?

Unless it's actually an SPL10. In which case forget everything I just said.

Hie jasper,

Yes it is the cht10 im afraid. :eek:

But I was gonna upgrade the sub later!

Why? What's wrong with your current setup? :lesson:

If nothing, spend the 2 grand on booze and hookers. :smashin:

Nobber22 said:
If nothing, spend the 2 grand on booze and hookers. :smashin:

Kill two birds with one stone & go to the bar at a local rugby club - you'll be very popular!

nashb said:
These are the speakers I am considering:

Cabasse X1s
Sound ok, no competition though.
Mission Elegantes e82s
Look nice, improvement on your music, downgrade on your movies..
Kef 50005s
Look nice, sound ok. Downgrade on your movies.
Kef 9000ACEs
Improvement on your music. Big, very warm soft sound due to the bass they produce....totally different sound to the M&K's. Overall a downdrade.

I'm not familiar with your sub, so i can't make any recommendations there. But the Miller & Kreisel satellites do perform better with a better sub. You'd be suprised at how much difference this makes.

Stick with the surrounds, you'll have to buy Xenon 26's to improve on them (£850/pair). The front LCR can be improved. If you want something small, try the Xenon LCR36's (£399 each), and if size isn't important (as we all know it isn't :D ), try the LCR750's (£375 each). The Arcam will cope with these, and they'll allow you an upgrade in the future too.

As russ.will asks, what display are you using? Your system is good enough to put that money into a projector if you don't already have one. HUGE difference!! :smashin:

Thanks 4 all the comments. I suppose I was looking for floorstanders cos my dog, Nero, keeps colliding with speaker stands! I think he fancies them. :D Im sure he rubs up against them when Im not watching!

Ive got a Panny 7 people.

About the sub, Ive also got a s/hand M&K CR380 n a K9 that I bought off the forum. One was going in the bedroom n the other is rigged to my PC with some K15 sats.

Do u think any of those two would be better than the Velo?

Russ Ive just read your post on the Monolith. Does it belong with my set-up?

Thanks.

Personally, I find the M&K fronts a bit too in your face and hard edged. This is particularly true for music. With your budget I would look at replacing these three speakers with Spendor or Totem offerings. I'd keeep the surrounds though

If you do change speakers then i would consider going up the M&K range as for Movies their speakers really do excel, i would also consider keeping the K series and going for a better sub which can transform the sound quite dramatically ie look at the new Velodyne SPLR range or the newer subs on offer from M&K...

Changing from Miller & Kreisel to another speaker manufacturer for movies will be disappointing. Hi-fi speakers are too polite for the demands of a movie soundtrack, you miss a lot of information.

Thanks for the comments. :thumbsup:

philb: how much do think the velo's worth. Its a couple of years old and immaculate.

PB: never heard of those two so Id have to some research.

recruit: I agree, the M7Ks r great for movies. as far as the sub goes what about the Monolith that Russ n the crew rave about?

Helicon: Agree with u completely. I see u are a M&K fan too!

I was wondering whether upgrading to K17s in the front and moving the K7s to surround would be a good step.

Thanks.

nashb said:
Helicon: Agree with u completely. I see u are a M&K fan too!

I was wondering whether upgrading to K17s in the front and moving the K7s to surround would be a good step.
Heard LCR850's (now LCR750's), 'upgraded' and have never looked back! Unbeatable for movies.

You could move the K7's to rear centre duties, but don't ditch the K4's! Keep those for rear L/R duties. Try the K17's against the LCR750's....clearer, more open and more transparent than the K series. And the Arcam will be fine for them.

Helicon: what about sub upgrade - which one of the M&Ks?

I see theve got a new range out: SUPERFAST DEEP BASS.

Any experience?

Depends which satellites you go for really. Either the KX-12 as a minimum (£695 - 12" driver) or the VX-1250THX (£895 - 12" driver) if you're a THX fan (although most of their subs will meet THX specs anyway). If you want a compact sub, there's the MX-7000 (£995 - 2x 8" drivers push/pull). All will kick butt in the average size room.

The KX-12 and VX-1250 both use one of the same drivers that's used in their twin 12" MX-2500 at £1500, which is a pretty serious sub!

Further down the page mate! :thumbsdow

OK thanks I shall do some studying.

By the way, my existing spare M&K subs, the K9 and CR380 I dont suppose fit the bill?

Thanks again.

Ignore Stoneaudio, those pages are well out of date! I looked on their site this morning with regards to something else, and M&K weren't listed, so one or the other has parted company.

The K9 won't be up to the job, i've not heard of the 380.

Hi nash,the old cht-10 go for practically nowt these days,a guy had one 'somewhere else' for £140,no-one touched it!Puts you off selling your bits mate.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom