1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! I've broken my MPEG Playback! Codec Expert Req'd

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by DaveP, Jul 20, 2005.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a bit of a long story so bear with me or skip to the next paragraph! I installed some software on my PC to allow me to watch programs that were recorded on my Tivo (TyShow) Since then I have not been able to play back anything else within Media Player 10. All I got was a black screen. I uninstalled the software but the required codec (MPEG2DecFilter.ax) still showed when I ran DECCheck and I still got the black screen. I deleted the actual file but it made no difference. I should say at this point that PowerDVD playback was fine as was Media Centre.

In desperation I decided to attack the registry. I only found one reference to MPEG2DecFilter.ax so I exported it and deleted it! This was the entry:

Now when I run DECCheck it tells me I have no Codecs installed! Strangely enough Media Centre still plays back OK. However MP10 and PowerDVD will only playback a bleached picture as seen here :

[​IMG]

It's like an 8bit colour pictur but worese!

This is how it looks in Media Centre

[​IMG]

I have re-installed the Registry entry that I deleted and I even re-installed the TyShow software but it hasn't helped. DECCheck does show the usual Codecs now though. I have also uninstalled and re-installed PowereDVD to no avail!

I have also downloaded and installed the MS Codec pack for Media Player and that didn't help either!

I shoulkd also mention that it has affected DScaler too, probably the most important problem!

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this? I started to re-install the operating system on a spare disk but I have run out of the number of times I can install it (I tinker a lot!)

If you got this far, thanks for taking the time to read it all!

Dave

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,483
    I know it won't help you now....but you don't need TyShow to watch MPEG's you've pulled from your TiVo.....Media Player or PowerDVD will do the job!!

3. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,529
    Have you got an Nvidia card?

There's a recently discovered bug with the latest Forceware drivers that mainfests as screen bleaching...??
    All to do with gamma level control apparently....

If you have, it's worth trying the fix posted here

I haven't used it myself, as I wouldn't touch Nvidia with a bargepole basically. :rolleyes:

If not an Nvidia, you could always try the codec pack here

I use this to sort out any mate's PCs... It's a bit of a sledgehammer approach to the problem, but it seems to get things working that don't, and uninstalls very well if you don't like it..

:smashin:

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that but that involves downloading the files first, which is very slow!

Dude you are a star!

I never suspected the nVidia card as it was all ok in MC!

I applied the fix and hey presto: back as it should be!

Many many thanks.

That must also be a record for the time taken to solve a problem!

Cheers

Dave

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,483
    Yeah, that can be an issue, but its not too slow when using 100mb.

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even using 100mb/sec is slow. The card I have in the Tivo only manages 1mb/sec. That's quite normal I gather.

Dave