HELP - ITunes back up to external hard drive

LSDAV

Standard Member
just bought an external hard drive to copy my itunes library, ive looked on the back up fuction which only copies to cd/dvd but has a function to 'copy files that have been added or changed since last back up' does this mean i will have to copy the files over in explorer and re-write every month when ive added new songs, my PC is USB1 not 2 and it takes ages.

pablo99

I have an external USB drive which I back up the contents of the iTunes Music folder to every day at 6pm if the PC is on.

I don't use the iTunes back up facility but instead I wrote a batch file which scheduled tasks then runs every day. It compares the two folders and copies any new music/podcasts to the backup.

Much better way I think! :)

Pablo

HMHB

Distinguished Member
You can get SyncToy from Microsoft as well for this sort of thing. It's a tool that let's you backup or synchronise folders. Just make sure you get the sync rules right between the "left" and "right" folders and it will do the job. I used to use Robocopy before this - Robocopy is a command that you run from the Dos prompt or from a batch file if you are happy to do that.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom