Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

help is my memory on pc a problem

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by newstuart, Dec 14, 2004.

1. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Hi everyone
    Please bear with me on this as im not entirly computer literate! :)

I have a Advent media center 2004 pc from pc world who are useless for advice !
    I have a problem in that the last week or so this has been running very slow and freezing up loads of times. The only thing I have done since this started
    happening was load about 20 cds onto the music jukebox in the media center
    (think this uses windows media player v9) could it be because ive put to much on the hard drive?
    if I look under the performance part of windows it shows i have used 152gb and have 55g left if that helps
    all that is stored on the pc is approx 10 hours of films,20 or so cds and 100 pictures. If i have used to much space how easy is it to upgrade the hardrive as the pc is not a normal shape(sort of dvd player sized) so are the parts still the same ?

sorry for the way this sounds but have no confidence of getting the correct answer from my local pc world :suicide:

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    A slow PC is rarely a result of an over-full hard disk, and 55Gb free is nothing like a problem ... and lock-ups are no going to be associated with disks at all (in any likely scenario you may have).

First thing to suspect is a virus/malware of some kind, do you run an up-to-date anti-virus product? What about something like AdAware or Spybot for getting rid of spyware etc?

3. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    The only anti virus software it has is whatever it came with as standard so if this is the case i will try to get some software, any suggestions on the best place to get it. I have broadband so can download of internet ?

4. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    Kragorn is almost certainly correct in his guess. Particularly if you have broadband, it is highly likely that you've picked up something nasty. Unfortunately they rarely travel alone. Once your PC has been compromised, you'll be infected with every form of spyware, virus and trojan imaginable.

If you plug a bog standard XP machine into a broadband connection, without the latest updates, the odds are that it'll be compromised before you've had time to secure it with updates and downloaded programs.

Firstly, get youself a decent antivirus program, which comes with regular updates. Anything else is next to useless. We use Norton Antivirus, and any of that sort will do the trick.

Make sure Windows XP has all the latest updates, in particular XP Service Pack 2.

Get yourself a decent firewall program. Zonelabs Zonealarm is a good choice. Consider buying the upgraded version that stops trojans from communicating out from your PC, as well as stopping hackers from getting in. The Windows Firewall that comes with XP Service pack 2 is better than nothing, but generally not very highly regarded.

Install Adaware SE, and sweep your system for spyware.

Install Spywareblaster to stop 'em creeping back on.

Once you have all this software installed, and you're sure your shields are up, run a full spyware and virus sweep again. You might also consider a 30 day evaluation of Trojan Defense Suite (TDS) - available from www.computercops.biz .This ferrets out a lot of trojans that regular antivirus programs miss.

Hope that helps.