Help! Is my Humax Foxsat HDR as Dead as the Proverbial Parrot?

Geoff_W

It looks as though my 13 y.o. Humax Foxsat HDR has finally bitten the dust. It was working fine first thing this morning, but I brought it out of standby at lunchtime and it just hangs on the Custom Firmware 4.1.3 loading message. Having powered it down a few times I noticed that the Boot message doesn't appear before the CF message.

So far I have tried unplugging it from the mains and leaving it for at least 10 minutes (several times), but nothing makes any difference. Is there anything else I could try?

😢

I note that Humax are currently offering the Aura with £50 off, so that might be my best option if all else fails.

dts

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately nothing lasts forever...it could be a hard drive issue...so maybe treat yourself to a new one.

REPASSAC

I would guess that it is a hard drive issue. Try disconnecting the hard drive. If it is that it should them boot. It that works then I suggest deleting all partitions on the disk in a PC or PC caddy and returning it to the Foxsat for reinitialisation.

Geoff_W

Thanks @dts and @REPASSAC

I put a USB pen into the front port with the Firmware on it but, whilst it now said "Boot" on the display and then "Custom Firmware 4.1.3", it still wouldn't start up. I then disconnected the HDD but no improvement. I've now removed the HDD and will fit it into a caddy to see if Windows 10 can read it.

However, I've taken the decision to order a 2Tb Aura from Humax, taking advantage of the £50 price reduction. So a bit of a learning curve ahead for me.

dts

Distinguished Member
Are you using freeview or freesat? I believe that the aura box is for freeview and not freesat...its a cracking box though.

Geoff_W

@dts Yes, I know the Aura is a Freeview box, I'm happy to change from Freesat, and I couldn't find many Freesat alternatives to my defunct HDR.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom