Help Installing Windows Vista as a new partition

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Brendetta, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Brendetta

Brendetta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I want to install my windows vista ultimate. It asks where I want to install it out of these 2 places.

Disk 0 Partition 1 Backup - Total Size = 7.8GB, Free space = 1.7GB, Type = Primary

Disk 0 Partition 2 HDD - Total Size = 290.3GB, Free space = 172.9GB ,Type = Primary

The backup partition is a recovery back up so I can set the pc back to factory settings. The second partition is my current work space with all my data on it and its windows xp.

Can I a make new partition so I have XP with all my data onit and windows vista on the same Hard drive and have it so I choose on boot up which OS I want to load. If so how.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000/ ok I found this but I'm stuck. I'm not sure what the difference is between Primary partition, Extended partition, or Logical drive and which one do I need to create for the windows vista. Also I will need to specifiy the size in mb of the partition I create it says but I don't know what size. I can't seem to get up the new partition wizard neither.

Thanks for your time.

2. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Yes you can. You will need to create another partition from the XP drive. The new partition must be atleast 16GBs big. You're going to need to use a program like PartitionMagic to create another partition.

Once you have created the new partition your hard drive will look something like this:

Disk 0 Partition 1 Backup - Total Size = 7.8GB, Free space = 1.7GB, Type = Primary
    Disk 0 Partition 2 HDD (XP) - Total Size = 274.3GB, Free space = 172.9GB ,Type = Primary
    Disk 0 Partition 2 HDD (Vista) - Total Size = 16.0GB, Free space = 16.0GB, Type = Primary

Then boot from the Vista DVD and begin the installation. Make sure you select the correction partition. Also, Vista will automatically detect XP and setup a dual boot menu. So that you can select which OS to go into which booting up.