Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help installing new OS from floppy

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mr.D, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Hello peeps need a hand on a little project.

I've just aquired a nice second hand little fujitsu B series lifebook for use as a wireless web browsing terminal.

It came with nothing...no manual no drivers zip. I have found all the necessary drivers online and the machine itself is running windows ME so I can even backup the drivers from there if I want.

However the machine only has a floppy drive no cd and I want to install W2K on it which I have ...on CD.

Now I've never installed an OS from floppy before but I think I remember that the W2K CD will generate multiple floppies if required to install from floppy. This I should be able to do on my operational desktop with CD drives. Then these floppies get me to the stage where I can supply an additional driver if required to get it to see a USB or pcmcia based cd drive ....???

Am I right or will I have to put up with ME ( no licience you see)

2. martbean

martbean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, not sure, I would have thought the installation would check for a legit CD (or failing that, a CD) but I could be wrong. If you can't make installation floppies from the W2K CD, I guess you could zip the whole CD onto 400 floppies but you can guarantee that archive no. 374 will be corrupt.

Can you not get the laptop to install a USB or PCMCIA drive as it stands though? Or network it to your other PC and do it that way?

Basically I'm not sure, suggest you try the forums at forum.pcformat.co.uk - more PC specific and lots of knowledgable people (not that there aren't here of course!!)

3. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Can I ask a stupid question?
    Does the PC have IDE? If so why not open it up and put your CD rom into it until you install the new OS?

Oh! BTW, you can't install Win2k from floppy. The option your thinking of is the recovery disks, but these still require the CD.

4. TEK

TEK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm guessing lifebook = laptop so no IDE

You will need to try to find DOS drivers for a USB/PCMCIA CD drive to allow you to install from the CD otherwise you'll need to install DOS network drivers on the floppy to do a network install from a share on an existing machine. I've only done this once in the past and it was quite involved but there should be plenty of guides about for it if you do a search in Google

5. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    couple of things which may help you;

Im not sure about 2k, but other Windows versions allow you to copy over the cab files onto a machine, and then install directly on the HD. Check if 2K can do this. It probably can.

If so then.....

a) There is a piece of software available on Windows which uses the parallel port to connect to other machines if you don't have LAN on board. Its a legacy thing and is still included on ME if memory serves me correctly. A quick search on XPs Help indicated that XP can do it, so W2K should. Its called Direct Cable Connection, or DirectParallel Use this to copy over your cab files from your main PC's CD drive.

OR

b) Buy an ethernet PCMCIA card and hook the PCs up directly to each other.

Hope this helps.

Paul.

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    OK I've found an external pcmcia cdrom driver on the fujitsu site. I was assuming that I bang through the recovery discs until it asks me to offer up any additional drivers I may require to the floppy and then it will be able to access theW2K cd from a pcmcia cdrom drive ( would have preferred USB to be honest).

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Erm am I missing the point?

Couldn't I just stick a USB cdrom drive on the laptop and use my W2K liciense to upgrade the ME install that was on the laptop.
    I'm in as administrator on the laptop?

rather than do a clean install?

Not like there is anything on the laptop apart from the basic ME install?

8. martbean

martbean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well yeah, that's what I was thinking. Would be a lot easier anyway. I *think* XP lets you reformat/partition the HD as you install but that may be only for a clean install. Not sure about W2K anyway. Could be a little risky though, as if half way through it can't find your USB CD-ROM because you've wiped Win ME then you could be stuck.

Maybe someone will clear that up...

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Hmm yeah I was thinking that at some point during the install teh usb cd drive would suddenly be rendered invisible.

From surfing I've been able to find out that the lifebooks came with a non-standard OS cd from fujitsu. This CD contained the files necessary to make a bootable floppy that in turn allowed clean installation from a pcmcia cd drive. I'm assuming this was just a dos floppy with an executable on it that contained a driver for the pcmcia port??

help...bet if I ask fujitsu they will refuse to give me the floppy!!

10. martbean

martbean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried the standard Windows install boot disk that installs a bunch of standard CD-ROM drivers? If Fujitsu supplied a disk then it must be possible but like you say, it's unlikely they'll give it to you (unless it can be downloaded from their website). But if it's possible I guess it's just a driver so it ought to be available somewhere on the web. Have you tried the manufacturer of the PCMCIA card? If they have a DOS driver you're half way there, I *think* you'll then need a driver for the CD-ROM as well but the standard Windows boot disk one might work.

Alternatively, assuming nothing goes wrong, I don't think it'd be a problem using a USB CD drive to upgrade ME. I'm just not as confident to say that'd it be OK using the Windows setup to wipe the HD and install W2K.

11. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The option to make floppies for Win2K is to allow boot from floppy, where the machine has no bootable CD drive,

but you still the the CD files available to actually do the build. (either on CD, or on a FAT partition on a nard disc)

Also some B models do not have a normal floppy, and do indeed need a special floppy to be able to boot.

If ME is still running you could copy the win2K CD onto the hard drive, and then do an in situ upgrade, as long as nothing goes wrong, your fine. I think it may well be easier to stay with ME, unless you really REALLY need win2K!

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Well had some luck found what looks like an executable to create a recovery floppy for the right model notebook on fujitsus website. Just a bit unclear as to what it actually does when you boot from it : found some material online that suggests you boot from it with a pcmcia cd connected with the OS disc in it. The floppy then supplies drivers for the pcmcia device... I think.

Only one thing for it... give it a whirl and find a pcmcia cdrom....would still prefer usb to be honest.

13. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Thanks for the advice.I do think it would be easier to copy over the W2K disc from my other machine.

This is a nice little machine! Love the touchscreen.
    Not bad for £350 ( and I got them max up the ram!)

14. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Yep got a working recovery floppy now that gives me options for recovering the machine with CDrom support.

Now to see if I can borrow a pcmcia cd drive!

15. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    When I've been faced with similar problems in the past the following route has worked fairly well.

1) Get a DOS disk and format the laptop with a single 2gb partition using fdisk and format /s
    2) Make sure the laptop now boots to DOS
    3) Get a serial or parallel link cable and use laplink or similar to get the contents of the required OS CD onto the cdrive
    4) Boot up laptop
    5) Run setup (will be very slow unless you get smartdrv installed)

You can do some clean up afterwards and get rid of the traces of DOS. and then you can use Partition magic to convert and extend all the drives.

16. Just_Dabbling

Just_Dabbling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would suggest one thing,

get the entire contents of the w2k cd on the drive, dosen't matter how, network, usb cd, if you can't do that, you out of luck.

Then boot windows ME, pressing F8 when you see the "starting windows me.." text.

Boot to command promt, change to the i386 directory and then run winnt /b.

That will copy a load of files onto your machine and then reboot into w2k setup.

it wll ask for the location of w2k files, just point to your hard drive.

let me know if you need anything else

17. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Thanks. When you say boot to command prompt do you mean boot the machioe into dos using a floppy? Sorry if I'm vague not much experience with dos plenty unix though.

18. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    OK heres where I am.
    I'v copied the W2K installation cd from my desktop over a LAN conenction to the laptop.

I've run set-up from the laptop and it seems to be upgrading over the top of ME no problems. Its highlighted some incompatable hardware ( the soundcard) but I've got all the most recent drivers for the laptop hardware again on my desktop.

So hopefully I won't have to fork out for a pcmcia cdrom.

here we go ...touchwood

19. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Arghhhh!

No dice now trying it in dos and the ME install has been nuked. W2K install worked fine until it couldn't copy a file (fax.chsm I think) so I cancelled the install assuming that I could verify that the files had copied over ok).

Run through setup again...intiially seems fine then I get told W"K can't find the cdrom....arrgh.

trying it via the dos method now.

20. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    let us know what happens...

21. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    HELP!

I'm in dos. I booted from a floppy. I can see the C drive and I can see the directory that I know the W"K folder resides but I cannot get to it I'm stuck on A:\ . I can't seem to get down to C drive.

Tried all the logical commands I can think off ....somone talk me through it please! Don't panic ...what fun

22. martbean

martbean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What happens when you type C: [enter]?

23. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    zip nada stays on A:

However I used a recovery floppy for the machine which installed a cdrom driver after ths it left me with a dos prompt on the C drive! I've moved into the I386 directory and I ran winnt /b this brought up a massive help list with lots of flag optios but didn't get me anywhere so I just typed winnt...thi brougth up the W2K setup screen and had a prompt asking for the W2K files : it was already targetted in the I386 dir so I just hit return on it with no changes. Its gone through a copy procedure and its still chugging merrily away...fingers crossed..unless of course I've completely nuked the W"K copy on the C drive of course...heh heh heh!

24. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    OK its chugging

Ah think I just screwed up...lets wait a bit and see.I assume I can nuke the HD into an NTFS partition and still be able to install W2K from that location???

seems like its going ok.

25. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Well its booted into W2K and is now going through a fat32 to ntfs conversion process!

sweating

26. martbean

martbean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think so, as doing that will wipe the contents of the drive, unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean.

27. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    I think the installation is smart enough to not let you blow the installation dirs away . It seems to have worked!

Just going through the last set-up stage now.

Once I know I can boot into W2K I'll leave the patching and driver installation till tomorrow.....phew!

28. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    There she blows!

Its done installed fine and even the fujitsu drivers I'd copied over to the machine before it went W2K are still there!

Thanks for all the assistance.

Tomorrow.... wireless pcmcia card and ICS (wolves howl lightning flashes ominously)

29. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Aaargh

blinkin driver conflicts. Had to restyart in safe mode and uninstall a lot of stuff before I got to the bottom of things ....looks like the NT based graphics driver...stick with the W2K one.

30. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    nope it was the built in modem... doesn't seem to like W2K even with the newest driver. Never mind won't be using it anyway.