Help in starting out!!

PMas

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just joined the site and wanting to know what my chances would be in securing work experience to be able to work towards my NVQ. I have completed a course run by Bob Calaz and gained a distinction in the CAI assessment. I have covered subjects from a basic digital install up to IRS. Satellite installations including sky. I have also covered TooWay installation with Kevin Dawson. This includes all theory and practical. I'm currently in the process of leaving the armed forces following 22 years.
Any and all advice would be very much appreciated

Last edited:
It really depends on where you are based, tbh.

Bob is a good guy, I have known him for over 20 years, he was old when I first met him, he must be ancient now!!!

His course is very good though and an excellent grounding for the Satellite TV industry.

V.

At the moment I 'm in Colchester and will be here until April when I leave the services. looking at settling in the Wiltshire / Hants area. I understand that there are a lot of small family run businesses around but not sure how willing hey would be to take someone on for a work experience placement shadowing an experienced installer. I would be working for free as I'm still payed by being in the army.

Get yourself to CEDIA start at the beginning and do all the courses available (jump through all the hoops) it's the only way you will be able to be taken on by a firm and earn decent money and do your new chosen career to a hight standard.

Get yourself to CEDIA start at the beginning and do all the courses available (jump through all the hoops) it's the only way you will be able to be taken on by a firm and earn decent money and do your new chosen career to a hight standard.

As an industry veteran (16 years trading) and a Cedia member, I would have to disagree with your post Slick.
Although members of my team inevitably do go on to gain Cedia qualifications, I have never employed anyone with a Cedia qualification at the outset.

The commercial AV industry is vastly bigger and more profitable than the residential side and my experience is that Infocomm qualifications are far more valuable than Cedia.

PMas, I'm in the US until the back end of next week but would be happy to offer some advice to you over the phone on my return if you like.

As an industry veteran (16 years trading) and a Cedia member, I would have to disagree with your post Slick.
Although members of my team inevitably do go on to gain Cedia qualifications, I have never employed anyone with a Cedia qualification at the outset.

The commercial AV industry is vastly bigger and more profitable than the residential side and my experience is that Infocomm qualifications are far more valuable than Cedia.

PMas, I'm in the US until the back end of next week but would be happy to offer some advice to you over the phone on my return if you like.

That would be much appreciated. I have sat the ECS assessment and applying for my card. I also have iOSH(managing safely) and fully qualified NUCO first aid at work instructor so hopefully I wouldn't be too much of an insurance issue for anyone offering a work experience placement. Looking next to get the tick for working at heights.

PMas, I have sent you a Private Message, as I could do with a body to help me one day this week, on a Mahooosive IRS System.

If your interested.

V.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom