Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

help in setting up my sub plz

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jonpaul, Dec 4, 2004.

1. jonpaul

jonpaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi quite new to all this and need some help please.

I have just got the kef kht5005 speaker package to go with a Denon avr2805 amp. I dont know how to set the psw2500 sub up. It has adjustments for input,crossover,phase and a switch for slope. In the limited instructions it talks about frequency crossovers so you can get the sub to intergrate with the speakers??? Im lost and to make it worse the amp has a microphone to run an auto setup and that just adds even more confussion into the equation.

At the moment I feel that all the money I have spent is wasted as I dont know how to set everything up. Any one prepared to advise?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Unfortunately most of the people that can help probably won't log on at the weekend. I can't help with the auto setup feature on your amp as I have never used one but I have heard that some get confused over whether the speakers are large or small. Yours should definately be set to small.

Set the crossover in the amp's bass management system to 80Hz. As the amp will handle the crossover and will feed all signals over 80Hz to the satellites and under 80Hz to the subwoofer you can switch the crossover frequency control on the subwoofer as high as it will go as you don't need it to be used at all.

The slope control adjusts the rate of roll off but leave it switched off (if possible). The phase control is normally only necessary if the sub is in a different plain to the front speakers or when you have more than one sub to integrate but for most other applications a setting of zero will be appropriate.

The input control is called "gain control" on every other subwoofer but KEF want to be different to confuse people. Try setting this at about one third then play the test tones in the amp and ensure (preferably with an SPL Meter) that the volume levels on all five speakers plus the subwoofer are balanced.

If you haven't got a meter try setting the volume of the sub until you can just hear it then turn it down a bit as in a well integrated system you shouldn't be able to hear the front speakers and the subwoofer as two discrete sources but as one seamless blend of sound

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Don't panic, it'll be working fine soon :thumbsup:

Assuming you've wired all the speakers to the Denon correctly we'll move onto the system setup...

Turn off the slope control and set the phase to 0deg as these are advanced controls. Obviously you can investigate these in future if you're interested.

Next, set the crossover to "off" (or whatever Kef call it, the dial usually clicks into this position).

Now set the input control (this is just a volume control) to about 1 quarter of it's maximum value.

Although I'm not familiar with the 2805's Auto setup, here's the clever bit: Plug the supplied microphone into the socket for it on the front of the amp. Find the "auto setup" option in the menus and leave it to sort itself out! You'll have to refer to the manual for exact details here.

These automatic setups aren't always 100% accurate so make sure that all speakers have been set to "small" in the Denons settings.

That should get you going but with some scope for perfecting it as time goes on. :)

4. jonpaul

jonpaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THanks for the advice, off to have a play now.