Help in deciding on a shortlist of Receiver & dish

Antonio68

Novice Member
Hello,

I am looking to install satellite TV and decided WorldofSatellite to be my best choice in terms of pricing.
Specifically, my requirement is to be able to watch Italian and Greek FTA channels and Hungarian for my wife.
Due to the distances between the satellites in question, a motorised dish was suggested :
Technomate 97cm Motorised Mesh Satellite Dish Pack

I decided on the Technomate 97cm motorised mesh satellite dish. I am in London with a clear south facing wall.

I wanted a receiver capable of recording, having a second receiver in the dining room and something that, once I discovered what it could pick up, would not limit me in the long term, in other words a receiver that was upper mid range.
Based upon my own research, I thought the Technomate 5402 was a good option. The only thing that concerned me was the age, with technology moving so fast, it was already some 3 years or so old. Wordofsat confirmed this was the case and to consider something more current.

WorldofSat suggested a LINUX and the options are as follows :
XTREND ET7500 HD Combo Xtrend ET7500 HD COMBO 1x DVB-S2 + 1x DVB-C/T/T2 Combo tuner Linux Full HD PVR 1080p Digital Receiver

VU+ DUO 2 Enigma 2 VU+ Duo 2 (SELECT YOUR TUNERS) Enigma2 Linux Receiver Full HD 1080p PVR READY

Edison OS Mega Linux Enigma 2 Edision OS MEGA TRIPLE TUNER COMBO Linux Enigma 2 H.265 2x DVB-S/2 + 1x DVB-S2/T2/C HD 1080p Digital Receiver

There are some price differences between them all and I am now concerned that I may be hitting
the upper end with equipment that I will never be able to take full advantage of.
I also started considering that perhaps a separate HD would be beneficial rather than a huge amount of space on the receiver since a stand alone HD is mobile and can be plugged into the PC.

I understand that a TIVU sat card is required for the Italian channels, other than RAI, initially I considered purchasing this via Amazon and activating it with my codice fiscale and parents address in Italy, but for the small difference, Worldofsat sell them fully activated.

There seems to be a lack of reviews on the net for Satellite receivers compared to other electrical's and whilst I wouldn't consider myself a technofile, I can generally grasp things easy ... hopefully some experts or enthusiasts here will be able to guide me a little .. I hope.

Many thanks in advance !

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
Have a chat with Pedro2000UK on here and visit his website at www.purplesat.com

I can't comment on Technomate gear but such 'packs' rarely contain the best kit available and usually cut costs. I would be concerned about the mount, T & K brackets and a pole are more normal for such a setup. Quality of gear does vary over time but I think you'll find most installers use different brands to get the best equipment available.

The age of the satellite receiver isn't really an issue unless you want to run lots and lots of plugins, run Android/Kodi or get into 4K TV. The TM 5402 is a great generic and does what it does very well. The Linux Enigma 2 options are more powerful and flexible but need more investment in time and effort to learn them. The best setup is to have both :D. You can't go wrong with VU+ and Xtrend.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
The Linux operating system Enigma 2 on those boxes is actually 12-13 years old lol.
[& the VU+ Duo 2 (& Solo2) are 5 years old:facepalm:]

Enigma 2 satellite receivers should wipe the floor with receivers like the Technomate TM5402 M3, they should, but they don't.

When Dream Multimedia wrote the Enigma 2 Linux OS for their receivers back in 2004/5/6, it was adopted across the market for a number of receivers & probably more driven by the 'other' things it could do behind the scenes that other satellite boxes couldn't do at the time.

But it lacked a good intuitive user interface structure & some fundamental aspects of satellite receiver software or had a poor / awkward implementation of them & forcing the use of a PC & FTP-ing for what were some really basic satellite operations on satellite receivers.

The user interface/ design needed a few months more work to finish it properly IMO with a more intuitive user interface structure & work on some missing features like on board editing & approved USALS motor control - blind scan etc.. although there are programming teams writing images/ plugins/ skins cam software etc. & doing some fantastic stuff, that base E2 structure is still there where the TM5402 has a far more intuitive interface & can do a lot more satellite wise the Enigma 2 receivers struggle to or can't do at all....

but the E2 boxes can do far more otherwise & the fact that you can't edit satellites & channels so easily has been replaced by just downloading ready made channel lists & auto updating sw etc.

Best is having one of both IMO & there's both here (& several others) but it's the 5402 that gets used far more day to day & I install loads of both.

You could get a cheap box ..use it for a bit to get a better understanding of what's what - then make a more informed decision as it's always a problem to decide before taking the plunge, different people like different things for different reasons & it's always hard to judge.

Dito on the kit - you have a south facing wall though so the bracket will do but they are rarely strong enough - I prefer the non perforated / solid dish - it's not bad being a sort of copy of Triax dishes [the solid one] & so long as it is shipped & arrives OK - many get damaged in transit from mail order suppliers & pretty much useless if they do, not referencing WoS there but generally- don't know the coax - look for a CAI mark at least but you can't go wrong with Webro WF100 coax or Triax & better f connectors - cheap f connectors need sealing & can leak or come lose on cheap coax & cheap coax can perish.

Last edited:

Antonio68

Novice Member
Thank you both for your responses. I believe I may be going full circle in terms of my original choice, which was the TM 5402. In view of the relatively affordable price tag, it probably makes sense at this point where my knowledge is somewhat limited before I consider something which could potentially be out of my depth.

I will perform some additional research regarding the dish.
A question if I may:-
With a motorised dish, should I be looking at a twin or quad LNB?
Italy transmit at 13E, Greece 9E - Hungary I am not too sure.

I understand the cabling and will research that.

Thank you so much.

logiciel

To handle your stated requirements I don't see the need for a motorised dish, or such a large one, but others will disagree!

bogart99

Pedro you wrote

Enigma 2 satellite receivers should wipe the floor with receivers like the Technomate TM5402 M3, they should, but they don't.

Can I ask why should they?

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
Italian channels on...... 7e 9e 13e 16e 19.2e23.5e 31.5e 36e 45e 4w 11w 12.5w
Greek channels on........ 3e 9e 13e 21.6e 39e 45e 8w
Hungarian channels on ... 4.8e 9e 13e 16e 19.2e 23.5e 31.5e 39e 1w 4w 15w

total spread 3e 4.8e 7e 9e 13e 16e 19.2e 23.5e 31.5e 36e 45e 1w 4w 5w 8w 11w 12.5w 15w

I've removed some & just left easier ones on a 1m.

Last edited:

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
Pedro you wrote

Can I ask why should they?

Enigma 2 is basically a powerful computer with open source Linux, combined with a satellite receiver with LAN/Internet IO, hdd with an army of programmers writing images/ plugins/ driver sw updates etc.. it should leave the Technomate TM5402 in the dust, of course it should, but it's original design lacked a bit in the human user interface dept' re- intuitiveness, where the 5402 has it in spades & in a world where we've become accustomed to increasingly higher intuitive user interface software, plus some satellite basics were missing & poorly implemented [channel/ satellite editing etc..], but if you spend the time, the wealth of software & hardware's there to do almost anything & you can make it look very polished with skins etc. but it still retains the basic structure & having access to both is the best IMO.

about what I already said I think..

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
Best of both with Technomate TM-Twin-OE then hopefully.

The TM-TWN-OE is Enigma 2 & although both the TM5402 & TM-TWIN-OE are Technomates, the OS on the 5402 is quite different but you wont go far wrong - there's massive software support, well built & once you've got an E2 box set up how you want, you've got one of the most powerful [multi] media systems & not locked to one supplier.

As for which one, I don't disagree with your reasoning re VU+ Dreambox Technomate on the other thread & you sound like you are doing the research, there's a lot of brands, build quality, software support, price per features/ quality & popularity.... & there's 4k versions out now.

Antonio68

Novice Member
Sorry, I am back again. The more I seem to read, the more questions arise.
I remain settled on the TM 5402 receiver.

After speaking to a few local satellite installers, I am wondering whether a motorised dish is the best option as opposed to a fixed one. Collectively, the installers have explained that simply though weather, alignment will be regular. I doubt if it is a ploy since motorised installation will require more work to install than a fixed, since they can essentially quote me whatever they like.

Given the spread that Pedro provided above, is the only solution a motorised dish rather than a fixed one?

Many thanks !

logiciel

What does "simply though weather, alignment will be regular" actually mean?
For your original requirements separate LNBs, for additional requirements a (smaller than 97cm) motorised.

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
Collectively, the installers have explained that simply though weather, alignment will be regular.

This is complete and utter rubbish if the dish is installed properly and quality kit is used. Not all installers are equal and there are a lot of cowboys out there. You will struggle to find anyone as experienced and enthusiastic about doing a proper job as Pedro/PurpleSat. He did mine about 4 years back and has only been back once to tweak it and we suspected it was hit by accident rather than damaged by wind.

A multi lnb setup works well if you're sure you want to limit yourself to only certain sats or if you want access to more than one sat at a time. Otherwise go motorised to give you the best choice and go as big as is sensible, you will not regret it.

Antonio68

Novice Member
Collectively, the installers have explained that simply though weather, alignment will be regular.

I meant 'irregular' ..... I haven't made a decision re an installer and price will be a factor.

For the moment, I want to ensure I purchase the right type of dish for my needs.
Given the availability we have, French, German, Arabic, Russian, Turkish, Spanish will not be watched - dubbed or otherwise.
The 3 languages Italian, Greek and Hungarian will offer sufficient hours of viewing time.
Pedro offered the spread of those satellites and if possible, I would appreciate some advice as to whether a motorised or fixed will be the best options for the spread.

If the best advice is to go with motorised, I will simply need to find an installer who can install it.

logiciel

The alignment thing still makes no sense - as kevkbuk says it doesn't arise.
For the three languages a fixed dish, for anything further motorised.
Either way get a good installer.
That should be easy in London - but Pedro will travel.

Last edited:

TJT1

simply though weather, alignment will be regular.
This just doesn't make sense even if 'regular' is replaced with 'irregular'. Weather does not alter the dish alignment unless it hasn't been installed properly and high wind gust blows it off alignment.
I doubt if it is a ploy since motorised installation will require more work to install than a fixed, since they can essentially quote me whatever they like.
Probably more profit in a motorised?.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member

You do see a lot of poor installations for motorised satellite installed by proffesionals with 2 fs & 1 s [what one might say when looking at their jobs] , so collectively, thinking they need regular realignment doesn't surprise me, heard it plenty of times & no they don't, they should be put up to take very strong winds, but if they don't know what they're doing or apply aerial installation basics [very common], they install poor equipment on weak brackets & they constantly get moved by winds & motors have short lives as they get lashed about.
I was doing several installs in Liverpool recently & got asked to sort one out - absolute rubbish flag waver & I know who installed it & they'd had the cheek to tell the customer they used custom made brackets [hhm] & all they were were the cheapest folded angle T & Ks, but it wouldn't have mattered what they used, they could have used 10 of them as the pole was a 2" 1mm wall aerial pole.... with a 1m motorised on it on a 3.5m over the roof install.

On the other hand, I've worked on motorised satellite installations that have been used every day for getting on for 25 years, still 100% spot on, you couldn't tweak them - still tracking the arc & taking anything the weather throws at them, just tightened bearings & greased etc.. & I've opened arcs up to get bigger arcs as there are far more satellites up there now than there was back then [& I like to get BIG arcs].

If you get a motorised satellite system it's all about how well it's done- good, well chosen equipment, properly installed, then they're good- very good & even a small system like 65cm can get 10,000 channels & 40-50- satellites now & it will cover what you want, but they're also far more powerful & not just that if a service moves sat or goes off, or you want other channels etc. a motorised sat system cam just drive to another satellite.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom