1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help in chosing Betweeen SE z600, T630, K500i or other

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Kevo, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I'm looking to bu a new mob phone for me and the gf (surprise xmas pressie) and have been round all the shops and web pages (more than once!) and still can't make up my mind.
    Everytime I see one and then go and check out the reviews there is always something niggly that puts me off.

We're not 'big' users pf mobiles although the GF (typically) txts a lot :rolleyes:

I'd like to get the same make/model for both of us so I can help the gf when she gets stuck on something, but know this may not be possible as being a female (of course!) she has 'female tastes'!.

We're both using old Nokia 3310s and text quite a lot and we're both very comfortable with Nokia's predictive txt and like the way it stores new words in it's vocabulary. Do the SEs do this?

OK...

MAIN, ESSENTIAL CRITERIA

Pref under £130 each.

02 Network, Pay and Go

Good, clear keypad for entering txts and Predictive txt that remembers words.

Good quality colour screen.

Good batt life.

Stills camera.

Easy navigation.

SECONDARY CRITERIA

Bluetooth (not so sure if i'll need this), but I suppose once you have it....(?)
    I do drive, the gf doesn't. I suppose now that we'll be taking n receiving pictures we may want to exchange a few, i'm not sure.

Clam shell design
    (The gf has hinted she likes this type of phone)
    Ok for her but for a bloke? Also from a practical point of view are there any benefits? I guess they protect the screen and keypad but what about when answering a call and receiving txts, can you see quite well who it's from when it's closed?

Keep current SIM cards in new phones.
    Do they all allwo for this? Any disadvantages in NOT using the new SIM?

I've narrowed it down to the follwowing (prices exclude air time)...

Sony Ericsson z600
    Seems to have everyting I need but looks rather bulky and heavy especially for the GF and small mem- £85 from O2 shop.
    Has a 'TFD' screen. How does this diifer from TFT?

Sony Ericsson k500i
    No bluetooth, but small, light and compact. Nice large TFT screen -£100 from O2 shop

Sony Ericsson T630
    Has bluetooth - £115 from O2 Shop

Nokia 6610i
    Has FM radio! Not sure about the screen - £89 from various shops

Sagem MyC5-2
    Another clam shell. £90 from O2 shop
    (Don't know much about this one)

Sagem My x -7
    Not sure if this has a camera. £100 with 'free' cheapo micro hi fi from Woolies.
    Again, not sure, looks rather cheaply built!

Also rans....

Other Nokias (look too ugly)...7200 - £130 (textile one...not sure on this one)
    Samsung & Motorola - can't seem to find anything in my price range
    Half decent ones around the £160.
    O2 brand - I believe are really cheap and poorly built (?).

Haven't found anywhere cheaper on the web than the High street.

I'd prefer the High St in case I have to take it back if the GF doesn't like it :rolleyes:

Any alternatives to the usual places like O2, The Link, Phones4U, Carphone, Argos etc?...

I'm edging towards the SE z600 and/or SE k500i/SE T630

Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated.

I don't think I can handle too many more trips to the Trafford Centre or Manchester city centre this time of year...It's sheer madness at the moment :rolleyes:

2. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have a Z600 and a K700i. The Z600 came out to rave reviews about 12 months ago. I use it everyday as a business phone and find that ergonomically it is great. Nice to hold, easy OS, clear menus, Bluetooth works flawlessly wth HBH600 and Jabra BT200. The battery lasts me about 2 days of regular use, but you will get more out of it if you don't keep Bluetooth on all the time. Only slight downer is that it is not very good in low signal strength areas.

The K700i, the K500i's big brother, is another great phone. Does all that the Z600 does, in a candy bar shape and has a better signal strength. However the battery does not last as long as the Z600. This is something to do with the firm ware, which can be updated, but you need a cradle to sit the phone in, about 20 on the net. Both have similary OS's, with the K700i being slightly flashier. The K700i has a large memory and can hold MP3's which can also be used as ring tones. Camera is good too.

Try these sites:

http://www.clubsonyericsson.com/en/index.shtml
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/
    http://www.mobile-review.com/index-en.shtml

for lots of information and links to reviews.

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Simon thanks for the info and useful links.

Today I went and bought the k500i (two off), no more z600s in stock.

I got a good deal from o2 shop. By keeping our old sims I managed to get a £55 trade in...£50 of it was for the GF's!

Hope I've made the right choice!
    Can't use it 'til Xmas!

Cheers

4. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    just got myself a k500i. just getting to know it. seems like a good phone but find the video disappointing. it cannot take clean pictures of kids playing, the pictures breaks up.

5. Dubster

Dubster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Camera and video isnt its best points..I found camera outside is pretty good and inside it gets very 'noisy' especially on the phone screen (havent seen them yet on a pc) and you need a very steady hand to take good pics.

Still most cheaper camera/video phones aint much good,but for the money the k500i is a cracking little phone.

6. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please could some of you (hopefully) happy new K500i owners post your experiences with the phone? I'm thinking about buying one (to replace a broken Nokia 6100) and am interested to know how you good folks are finding the Sony to use.

Cheers!

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I'm very pleased with the k500i. Just bought a radio headset for it and handsfree car kit (both SE make) which both work a treat.

The msging on the phone is excellent. The T9 predictive txt is far superior to my old Nokia 3310.

Camera is ok just don't bother using the smallest res as pix can look very blocky.

Ringtones are fine, does mp3 too but i'm not really into all that.

If you can afford to get the k700, (the next model up as) do so as this has bluetooth, larger mem (40mb as opposed to 13mb), a MUCH better camera (with light), higher res screen, built in radio and MUCH better and more tactile keypad.
    But it's about £180 on 'pay & go' or 'sim free'.

8. rockdude456

rockdude456

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i recomend the k700i