1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Improve Quality! InFocus LP280

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by anticowboyism, Nov 19, 2002.

1. anticowboyism

anticowboyism

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I thought I knew enough about projectors to make this look nice, but I guess I don't. I have the InFocus LP280 projector, using my computer dvd as source. Connect it over SVideo for 800x600 resolution. Overlooking the crappification from the GF4 video output chip...

It looks a mess. The picture looks out of focus, despite having the projector focused perfectly. There is a grainyness to it, sort of pixely. Some flashing, possibly from Macrovision. It looks like a 320x240 Divx basically. And it's not from the video out of the computer. I've seen this video out on a tv, and I know the crappyness it adds. This is a different crappyness. Granted, I am only projecting on the wall, which is off-white at best. But still, I should be seeing a relatively clean 800x600 image. Black is not very black if I set the white point correctly. And the tint is tweaked to the purply side when it is adjusted as close as possible to the source, which might be the projector, since it doesn't have RGB adjustments, only tint.

Am I doing something wrong here? Any things I can try different or devices to add to increase the quality? Do I need something like a line doubler? Thanks!

2. DynamoDoug

DynamoDoug
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a GF3 and the composite & Svideo output from that isn't too good. However it's fantastic if you feed the PJ directly from the VGA socket.

It also helps to set it up with the AVIA or simular.

You can use the test patterns on

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90884

which are helpful

3. anticowboyism

anticowboyism

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I plan to use an external dvd player and vcr also. What is the best way to improve the quality of these non-VGA sources?

4. DynamoDoug

DynamoDoug
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Connect your SVideo output from the dvd player to the svideo input of the PC and then drive the Projector with a VGA cable.

You would get a much better picture by using a cd/DVD drive in the PC and driving the projector at VGA levels.

5. anticowboyism

anticowboyism

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what about a converter that takes the component inputs from a progressive scan dvd, does some line doubling, and outputs it to VGA? Would that work as well? Where can I get something like that?

6. DynamoDoug

DynamoDoug
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. anticowboyism

anticowboyism

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: