1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help! I'm very confused about connecting av, tv, etc...

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by rach_17, Dec 6, 2004.

1. rach_17

rach_17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there :) :)
    I'm sorry if this has been answered before - I did try searching the posts but couldn't find it. But you do all appear exceedingly knowledgeable so hoping that you can help someone who knows nothing :D
    We've got a separates system with an amp, cd, tape, etc. which seems to work fine together. We're planning to buy a new TV in the sales and connect the tv side of things up to the amp too. My boyfriend thinks that if we run a lead out of the tv into the amp, then we could get sound from videos and dvds through the amp via the tv - but he knows little more than me so we're both unsure!
    Is he right, or would we also need to connect the VCR and DVD player directly into the amp? (which would mean a great big cabling mess in the middle of a small room!)
    Also, is there anything we need to check on our amp, or will amps generally work with tv equipment?
    Thank you very much for any help! :lease:
    Rachel

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That should work if you have a pair of audio outputs on the TV as you can then output whatever is currently playing, be it TV, VCR or DVD to the amp as long as you have a spare input on the amp.

It won't be glorious 5.1 digital surround sound but it should be considerably better than than the TV's internal amp and speakers.

3. rach_17

rach_17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian
    What do you mean by a 'pair of audio outputs'? We just looked at a few TVs online but all it said they had (if that) was a headphone output... is that the same?
    Best wishes
    Rachel

4. scussy

scussy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    click HERE and these are the cables you need for getting audio from TV to AMP,
    red and white plugs,

steve

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Hi Rachel - A headphone socket is not the same. Many (but not all) televisions will have a pair of phono sockets on the rear panel as well as the scart sockets and the purpose of these is to take an unamplified signal from the TV to an external amplifier.

6. rach_17

rach_17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - I think I understand that :) If we got a TV with 'virtual dolby' or some other kind of surround sound-type system (which mostly they seem to have now), would that work through the amp too or would we need to connect it up differently/use a better amp?
    Cheers!