1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help...Im about to go crazy!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by CyBeRkId2002, Jun 8, 2005.

1. CyBeRkId2002

CyBeRkId2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Why Oh Why Cant I get my HCPC looking half decent?

I have a Radeon 9250se GFX card hooked up via DVI to an Infocus 4805 and I just cant get a decent picture for the life of me?

In every resolution I try I get this horrible problem where any bright whites on the screen look digital and extremely noisy (dont know exactly how to describe it so thats the best I can do). I have tried in a whole number of resolutions ie. 856x480, 848x480, 1280x720, 1024x768 etc.... and get exactly the same problem... In the catalyst control centre it says that AGP write and fast write are both disabled and cannot be turned on... Could this be the problem and if so is their anything I can do to put it right?

Any help would be extremely appreciated, even if it involves coughing up for a new GFX card...

Thanks in advance,
    Michael

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hmm, not sure if I understand what you're seeing, but possibly Contrast is too high? Have you tried adjusting the colour settings in the Catalyst Control Panel? You could be suffering from one or two problems, such as MPEG artifacting but more likely it seems to me you could be seeing 'crushed whites' which is caused when Contrast is cranked up far too high.

The AGP settings you mention are only available with some gfx cards, I think the 9250 isn't one of them, however they are unlikely to be related to the problem you seem to be describing.

3. CyBeRkId2002

CyBeRkId2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Thanks KraGorn... will have a look at the contrast tonight although doubtful whether its that....

I have considered the possibility it could be artifacting... is that common in a graphics card of this price range? Am considering going and picking up a 6600, 6600GT or 9600 tonight and hope this resolves the problem because at the moment I am extremely disappointed with the setup and am conisdering sticking it on the forum...

Should one of these cards make a significant difference considering it will NEVER be used for games?

Michael

4. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Artifacting will only happen on compressed digital video (e.g. dvd, avi, divx) and is normally related to the codec used to render the video and the performance of your pc (if the graphics card has hardware mpeg decoding then it could be responsible).

If you still get the effect on non video (open notepad full screen or something - even just set your desktop background to white, you could use a paint program, like Paint Shop Pro to create a fade from black to white) then it is not the video playback causing it. More likely to be contrast levels (both the graphics card and pj will have adjustments for this, set either incorrectly and you wont be able to correct by adjusting the other).

You should (in theory) get the best image at 848x480 as this matches the native resolution of your PJ

You may want to invest in a video setup disk like Digital Video Essentials - if you have MCE I think there is a wizard with it that does the same thing, also, some THX DVDs have similar setup screens (they tend to be tuned towards that movie but will atleast help you get things roughly right)

5. CyBeRkId2002

CyBeRkId2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    hi there... i think a few more details on the problem are necessary...

The issue only happens on encoded video. It occurs when their are two similar bright colours on screen and makes the area between the two kind of shimmer.... I am using MCE with the Nvidia codec. Does anyone know where i can download trials of other codecs compatible with MCE to see if they do the trick?

Thanks in advance,
    michael :D

6. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0