1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - I'm a wide screen newbie!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Mabel, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Mabel

Mabel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: Hi everyone. I want to get a new ws tv - fed up of half the picture disappearing off the edges of my current set! Could someone explain the difference between natural flat and true flat? Is one better than the other, or is it down to personal preference?

Thanks,
    Mabel

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Hello Mabel and welcome to the Forum. :)

Unless someone knows different, I have a feeling that natural flat and true flat are just different manufacturer's terms for the same thing.

After all, flat is flat! :laugh:

Flat tubes are more expensive but offer less distortion and minimal reflections. :lesson:

Hope this helps.

3. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's sort of true - each manufacturer uses a different name to describe the 'flatness' of their tube.

In this case though I think that natural flat means a slightly curved CRT face and true flat is exactly that - flat!

It is not strictly true that true flats are less distorted than more rounded tubes. They do minimise reflections, that is very true but there are drawbacks. Because the electron beam's focal length is no longer constant true flats do compromise on focus. This can lead to increased errors on convergence in the corners because the beam is no longer in focus. It also increases the distortion of the picture in these areas because the balance of the focus adjustment is usually biased towards the centre as this is the area which action is primarily concentrated - it is also the area where on screen menus are displayed. These effects are fairly minimal but on poorly set up tubes and cheap flat tv's you can see them if you look.

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    So now we know, Mabel. Simple, isn't it!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: