1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help I'm a lady newbee

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Riss71, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Riss71

Riss71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya:

Would one of you lovely people point me in the right direction.

I've only got about £1500 (I could go a little higher) to spend on a Rear projection tv (cant afford plasma), picture quality is must, reliability is a must I dont want expensive bulbs going pop in the middle of ER. And I'm so confused as to which one is the best out there for the price i want to spend.
    Its got to be compatable with sky digital, I have heard that some are a bit iffy when it comes to sky.

I have been looking at the Sony KF42SX300 any views ?? Let me know.

I'm open to any input, any recommendations.

Look forward to hearing off you lovely helpful people.

:)

2. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    go for the tosh46 dlp at £1500 or £1900 for 52" i work for sony the 42sx300 is ok but know where as good as the tosh sets good luck on your choice :thumbsup:

3. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless your sure your getting a recently manufactured (in the last few months) Sony set it will go pop!

Go for the Tosh 46" DLP, its in your price range and it is a very nice set as I'm sure the owners on this site will tell you.

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    My friend has this set and althought the picture is ok it isnt as good as a DLP set. I would stir towards a sagem or tosh if you only have a budget of £1500. Be aware that the Sagem 50 cant do HDCP which will be essential for HD material. Try and demo the sets to make up your own mind.

5. albertz

albertz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    weeeelllllll heeelllllloooooo!

The answer is.....toshiba 46wm48

great set, no probs with sky, fantastic picture, you can get it for a shade under 1500, but im not sure if you will get any more warranty for that, i bought mine from rgb direct for 1700, with 3 year warranty :thumbsup:

the tosh also has an HDMI input so has a certain amount of futureproofing already.

6. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You say you can't afford a plasma, but with Sky Digital you don't need a built-in TV tuner and could therefore go for a plasma display (not a plasma TV). For instance, the Panasonic 42" PW7 is a great display and you'll get one for £1,300 or less. And it won't pop a bulb in the middle of ER...:)

7. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Presumably the rear projection TV's have simmilar lamp life issues to front projectors?

8. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldnt toch the KF42SX300 , i have heard tons of people having bother witht this tv, also its not a DLP tv set its an lcd rptv which is different technology. I have viewed that set many times as i nearly bought one ages ago but lamp issues aside the blacks are not black they are grey

9. Riss71

Riss71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D Wow thanks everybody great info, im off to look at the tosh. Great responce thank you all. :clap:

10. welsh uk

welsh uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    @Riss71

I am also in Cardiff and recently purchased the 46WM48 (WOW what a tv) over the Sony300 (but after seeing it in action i decided to give it a miss)

The only place nearest to me that i could find an actual working model was in Comets in Swansea (on the Enterprise Park Estate) all the Cardiff branches wont put them on display for some unknown reason

After seeing the tosh in action i decided it was the tv for me and ordered it online (Comets wanted £2000 i got it for £1560 delivered with TvAndVideoDirect.com)

11. mearsy007

mearsy007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I think the Sammy 46" is better! :thumbsup:

12. M0SNR

M0SNR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Riss - I'd suggest that you have a look at the Sagem HD-D45 - Fantastic picture and HDCP compatible, so should be compatible with HDTV when Sky start to transmit it sometime next year - typical price about £1999 but you might be able to do a deal. J Lewis' are doing it for that price with a 5 year warranty. Check one out and see what you think. I bought one and after seeing it, my Dad has decided to go for one too. Also very nicely made and finished

Cheers

13. Riss71

Riss71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that info. I went to the Newport road Comet to have alook at it but they seem to be having somesort of a refurb going on, mind you they have employed more staff this time. Its normally 2 staff to about 20 shoppers.

Thanks for the tip on buying over the net I am a little bit nervious when it comes to spending that much money through a computer, I think i'll gift a whirl.

Cheers.

14. welsh uk

welsh uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you are wary of putting all your card details into your computer and sending it over the net then give them a ring on 01204 375730 and you can order it over the phone

I have to admit they are pretty good (helpful and polite) i ordered my tv on the Friday and they delivered it on the Tuesday

Before ordering i would go and have a look at one working as its a lot of money to splash out on something that you personally havent seen in the flesh and you are just going on a strangers recommendation which may not be the same standards as yours

15. Riss71

Riss71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0