1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Im' (A) Confused (Fish)!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by michaelm, Nov 17, 2001.

1. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How did Help! I'm A Fish, the biggest kiddies animated movie of the year, manage to get released on DVD with no publicity whatsoever?

I tried to take my six year old daughter Sarah to see it at two local cinemas last weekend, but it had ended on the previous Thursday. Cue lots of tears and tantrums and a promise by a doting dad to make sure she got to see it.

Then last night I went to a local video store and, lo and behold, there was the DVD. I rented it for Sarah and now I'm the greatest dad in the world again.

Surely the distributors could have made a bigger deal of this title.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Michael,

1) Congratulations on being able to get your daughter to see the film! She'll turn to you now, for any further DVD or film enquiry, so you'll have a lot to live up too. ;)

2) More than likely, the distributors probably didn't think it worth heavily promoting the rental release. The fact that the film didn't do that well at the cinema, probably didn't help matters, and if it weren't for the title track from the movie, the film would more than likely have dissapeared off of the face of the planet quicker still.

Having said that, bearing in mind it is a kids film, I'm surprised to find it available on DVD so soon. Are you a UK resident? The only reason I ask, is that I fear the copy you have rented, may be a pirate or import copy from another country, as I am quite surprised to hear that such a film as "Help! I'm A Fish" has got a DVD release just yet.

I don't want to label or prejudice anyone here, so please don't get me wrong, but it does seem a little odd. Maybe you could post a little more info, about where you rented the DVD from, what region code (if any) it was, what extras (if any) were on the DVD, and the quality of the picture and sound?

Pooch

3. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    PoochJD wrote:

Pooch, it's on sale at Play for £14.99, so I'm quite sure it's not a pirate copy. It also has a full complement of extras, including a "making of" docu, character profiles and, of course, that dreaded song.

Also, and I'm not setting out to deliberately irritate you or owt, but the movie did do quite well in the UK over the summer holidays and was being used to mop-up the rest of Sprog UK over the recent half-term holiday.

4. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oh, it was R2 and the DD5.1 sound was excellent. The undersea sequences were alive with all sorts of atmospheric stuff and with that continuous "underwater" sound. you know what I mean, all sort of gurgly 'n all.

Picture quality was less than perfect though, with washed out colours and more than a hint of grain.

Oh, and I rented it from JR's Video Shop, Alliance Avenue, Belfast.

£2.00 a night, if anyone's interested. They also had the widescreen version of the Grinch.

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Michael,

I apologise to you. I didn't mean to doubt or offend you. :(

I simply can't believe that this movie would be able to rent and/or buy, so soon after thje cinema release, with almost no publicity here in the UK! Has anyone here seen a TV advert, poster, or any other promotional notice announcing its availability?

As for it being relatively succesful (or not), I guess what I meant to say was that it wasn't as successful as it could have been, bearing in mind it was up against "Shrek".

Pooch

6. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    European,

I think you may have slightly misunderstood my statement.

When I said, "I couldn't believe that this film could be released so soon", I didn't need actual proof, (as MichaelM had already given me proof), but that I couldn't believe that the film was released so soon after the cinema, and that normally the window between cinema and rental video/DVD us usually 6 months.

Pooch