Help if possible please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by brucey_bluenose, Oct 30, 2001.

1. brucey_bluenose

brucey_bluenose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I've been pointed in the direction of this site by a friend who said you guys are very helpful !!

I'm looking to buy my first DVD player and i'm not sure where to start. I've been told a few things to look out for- ie Multi region, but other than that I'm stuck.

I have a 21inch Nicam Stereo TV, hooked up to a video and digital TV (don't know if that's relevant), and i'm obviously looking for the best I can get, and something that isn't going to be obsolete in 2months !!

I've got around £200-£250 to spend and I'd preferably like something with the Cinema/Surround sound if possible. I've seen some that do "Virtual Surround" in Dixons - is this any good.

If anyone could offer me some advice on the best system for my price range and where I can get it cheapest i'd be very gratefull.

Thanks in advance of any help you can Provide.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Brucey,

There are plenty of good DVD players around in your price range and the current favourites seem to be Toshiba 210 and Pioneer 444. Both are region 2 but you can buy them ready modified for all region playback from a number of places.

I presume that you are aware that most DVD's are in widescreen which is going to look awfully small on a 21" TV with the horizontal bands on top and bottom.

Connection may also cause you a problem depending on how many scart sockets in your TV. You could really do with a DVD player with two scart sockets so that you could loop the Digibox through the DVD and into the RGB enabled scart on your TV. failing that you could look at one of those scart boxes with two inputs and one output which company's like lektropaks sell.

If you don't intend to go for the whole home cinema experience in the near future it may be worth your while looking at the Cyberhome DVD player which Richer Sounds sell for £99 which will give you pictures and sound far better than available on video as the Toshiba nd Pioneer may well be overkill on a 21" TV

Regards

Ian

3. brucey_bluenose

brucey_bluenose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't realise that most were in wide screen :( , I've watched a couple on my PC and presumed they'd be the same.

I may give it a miss then if it's going to be that bad on my TV, as I've only recently brought it so I shan't be upgrading just yet.

Oh well, I'll stick to video then !!

Thanks again

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    But on your PC wouldn't they still be in widescreen with black bars top & bottom of your monitor?

5. brucey_bluenose

brucey_bluenose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, but I didn't pay much attention seen as it was Lock Stock which has them anyway !:clown: