Help - Idiots guide to USB TV sticks

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by disco1, Dec 28, 2006.

1. disco1

disco1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    Hope you are all well?

I got myself a nice new laptop yesterday in the sales and have been looking at digital tv stuff for it. As you can imagine there is so much of this stuff on the market I simply don't know where to start. My requirements are:

Must be simple to set up and use

Must be standalone (mini aerial?) - many sticks plug into existing aerials

Reasonable price

All in one box and ready to start

Can anyone help?

Also, how can I check if my area can pick up digital tv well on a mini aerial?

thanks v much

2. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    you may have trouble with the signal on the mini sticks...

3. gosties

gosties

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    You can pick up a Usb TV stick for around £20-30 pounds nowadays. One of the problems with them is that if you have a weak digital signal they will not pick up all the channels. You can a buy a signal booster from Argos etc. Using that sometimes improves the strength of the signal.

Do a search online for the particular stick you are interested in and read a few reviews before buying. Some of the software supplied with the sticks is not exactly user friendly. The better ones come supplied with something along the lines of Powercinema. Powercinema is a decent clone of the Windows Media Centre software.

In my opinion the supplied antenna's are usually not strong enough, they are only an option if you have very strong terrestial signal.

Just a few suggestions about the USB TV Sticks.