Answered Help identifying cable

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Boots0608, Feb 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Boots0608

Boots0608
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

We are currently looking at possibly getting Freesat installed. To date we currently only use freeview, which is supplied through a normal external aerial on the roof.

The previous occupants of our house left their sky dish, and the cables are still coming into the house.

However, i am really not sure what connection the end of these two cables are (any why there are two?). I have attached photos, could anyone offer any guidance on what they are, and if they are easily hooked up to be used again. A friend mentioned we might be able to utilise the old dish to pick up Freesat if we get it installed, ideally picking up the FreeSat HD channels.

Thank you

IMAG0805.jpg IMAG0804.jpg

2. Best Answer:
    Post #22 by grahamlthompson, Feb 13, 2018 (1 points)
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,192
    They are F connectors, used by all satellite kit (and also on better quality terrestrial kit like splitters and amplifiers). A Freesat+ pvr will have two sockets they screw on to. Assuming the dish is working, connect up the two cables and a hdmi cable to the TV. Turn on the box and follow the setup instructions. There is nothing to install other than the 3 connections and connect it to a home network if you want to use the catch up services.

Photo of Humax HDR-1100S rear

https://brain-images-ssl.cdn.dixons.com/6/2/10127626/l_10127626_009.jpg

4. Boots0608

Boots0608
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, is there anyway of plugging this into a Youview box? Like i said main reason for getting Freesat is for a few of the channels broadcasted on HD frequency at the moment only on a few transmitters (which our local one doesnt) - hope that makes sense? I believe they are transmitted on COM7 and COM8 (i dont honestly really understand all of it but thats what time told).

In the case above, sounds like we might be in luck and just be able to get a FreeSat box and we could be good to go. Should the older sky dishes still pick up those COM7 and 8 channels?

5. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,389
    Youview is just a Freeview platform, so would just use an aerial connection. Youview is quite good as a Freeview receiver as it also has the catch-up services through an internet connection, it allows you to scroll backwards through the EPG and watch programs you've missed if they're available on a catch-up streaming service.

Freesat is what you want.

6. Boots0608

Boots0608
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

I have done some looking now after learning from the above posts that those cables are F connectors, and presumably they are what they call an LNB cable into my house? There are two as iv said.

There are a number of boxes available online that claim to receive Freesat etc.. (such as Openbox - apologies i dont know if i am allowed to discuss actual brands). On the back of alot of these boxes, there is only one socket to plug them into. Is it a case of just the one LNB into one of these boxes would work? or do you need a box which has two of these sockets on the back? Thanks

7. Boots0608

Boots0608
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry i should add, after reading some other pages on these Openboxs....i am just trying to get the free channel FreeSport for the NHL coverage (alot of forums are saying they are used for obtaining sky channels for free illegally etc..). My local transmitter does not transmit the COM8 which Freesport is broadcasted on.

8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,192
    Freesat is a posh electronic programme guide (epg) that allows you to easily record complete series and they generally have 2 tuners (hence the 2 cables). The boxes you are looking at are generic free to air single tuner boxes which may or may not record to an internal or usb hard drive. You don't usually get an epg just what's on now and coming up next on the channel you are watching. They are not Freesat boxes at all.

Humax twin tuner boxes will record two channels at the same time and let you watch some 3rd channels while recording two. You can view recordings whatever the box is doing.

Photo of latest 2nd generation Freesat epg LatestFreesatEpg.jpg

9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,192
    As already said Youview, Freeview Play and Freeview+ boxes need a terrestrial aerial.

The lnb is the box on the end of dish arm. Yours is likely to have 4 outputs with only two being used. Look carefully at the lnb, if it has 2 or 6 outlets the former owner may have had Sky-Q. If it has only two outputs it will need the lnb changing.

There are a couple of HD channels on COM 7 and 8 that you can't get for free on Satellite. Overall Freesat has more channels. A DVB-S2 generic fta box can get hundreds of channels (Currently 500 many of them just regional variants).

Full list

Astra 2E / Astra 2F / Astra 2G (28.2°E) - All transmissions - frequencies - KingOfSat

10. Boots0608

Boots0608
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

For what im after mind, in regards to your comment about some HD channels, Freesport is a free channel which from what i can see is broadcasted to Freeview, Freesat, Sky and BT - its just if you want it through Freeview you need to be in an area which its transmitting on. I am right in saying this should not be an issue with Freesat as it comes through a dish?

I can pick one of those DVB-S2 boxes up for about £20, does that go through an aerial or dish? Is it relatively user friendly?

11. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,192
    The clue is in the S. DVB-T is digital video broadcasting - Terrestrial, DVB-S is digital video broadcasting - satellite and DVB-C is digital video broadcasting - cable. The 2 indicates 2nd generation modulation. Freeview-HD requires DVB-T2 and HD satellite DVB-S2.

The cheap box will be anything but friendly every time a new channel is added or one moves transponder you will have to manually re-tune. This is completely automatic on a genuine Freesat box.

Look at this list, every time a new channel is added or moves transponder you will have to re-tune.

26-Oct-17 Transponder change 691 DAYSTAR HD 11612 H to 11685 V
    31-Oct-17 Name Change 141 Spike to 5Spike, transponder change 11263 H to 11597 V 151 Travel Ch +1, 213 CHANNELS24 and 505 Vintage TV
    14-Nov-17 Name change 506 Heart TV to Heart Xmas
    22-Nov-17 Transponder change 808 TJC Choice 11223 H to 11082 H and 810 IDEAL EXTRA 11223 H to 11597 V
    28-Nov-17 Channels added to 12382 H 168 QUEST +1 and 170 QUEST RED +1
    29-Nov-17 Transponder change 11223 H to 11597 V 513 NOW 80's, 812 Ideal World and 813 Create & Craft
    30-Nov-17 Channel deleted 513 NOW 80's
    7-Dec-17 Channel deleted 815 Thane 11597 V and Channel added 233 motorsport.tv 11306 H
    9-Jan-18 Name changes 302 True Christmas to True Movies, 303 True XMAS +1 to True Movies +1, 506 Heart Xmas to Heart TV and 812 QVC Christmas to QVC Extra
    12-Jan-18 Transponder change 790 TWR 11223 H to 11538 V
    17-Jan-18 Name change 164 COMMUNITY to Together
    18-Jan-18 Channels deleted 11427 H 900 On Demand 903 ITV Hub
    24-Jan-18 Radio channel added 735 BBC R Cymru 2 10802 H
    30-Jan-18 Channel deleted 511 Viva 11895 V
    31-Jan-18 Channels deleted 508 Kiss 12304 H 509 4Music 10714 H and 510 Magic 12304 H
    5-Feb-18 Name change 143 True Crime to Sony Crime 2

12. Boots0608

Boots0608
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for advice, i think for ease of use etc im just going to go for the freesat option.

13. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,785
    I doubt you'd miss much of the detail of changes, but glt is right, Freesat is the way to go, which means Humax.

14. Boots0608

Boots0608
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would a skybox pick up the same channels as the Freesat box through the dish? Just wondering as I can get a refurb skybox for about £35. All based on the dish still working mind.

15. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,389
    You can't use the recording facilty with a plus box without a subscription though.

16. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,192
    Also you will have dozens of channels on the epg you can't watch. If you try you get a message telling you to subscribe.

17. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +431
    Which do you mean? A Sky box or a Skybox (Openbox)?

18. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +431
    Not strictly true. For Skybox's and Openbox's you can download and install channels lists which get updated regularly. But not as user-friendly as a Sky or Freesat box though.

19. Boots0608

Boots0608
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An actual Skybox - to test the dish that's on the roof now, i am right in saying if the dish is working the sky box should pick up all free to air stations (so essentially what the FreeSat box would)? Valid point made though about the EPG - as it would show all sky channels not just those I have viewing access too. I have managed to borrow a skybox from a work colleague so I will test it out tonight to see if it picks up anything.

thank you all for the comments and help.

20. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,389
    Yes it will work and a good way to test it works, sadly the EPG isn't ideal and recording stops working so I wouldn't necessarily suggest it's the best way to get the FTA channels.

21. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +431
    So a Sky box not a Skybox?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  22. Boots0608

Boots0608
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So the Sky box works fine, and instantly picked up all the free to air channels so it seems the dish is fully working.

In regards to the cables that are coming into the house, given there are two, does this mean i can connect to separate FreeSat boxes (or sky boxes in that case) up to it? At the moment i have plugged both into the back of the sky box.

23. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,192
    Best Answer
    No point in using two with a Sky-box as you can't record you will never use tuner 2.

Depends on which Freesat box you get. A twin tuner box will need both cables to work 100%.