• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help identify a tablet: 7/8inch, sturdy, expandable memory and HDMI - Max £150

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Hi

I am looking for an Android Tablet for my sons birthday, he is 6 and currently uses his mums tablet.

It must be android, and I would rather not a skinned bespoke version. With my budget I expect I can only afford 8GB so in that case expandable memory is essential - this rules out the Kindle and Nexus?

HDMI out would be handy, but not vital. I would like it to be sturdy i.e. not a cheaply put together Chinese clone. I would like onging support from a better known company.

My max budget it £150, but if I could get it for less then all the better.

So, this is what I thing I am left with:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7in) - with memory slot, but no HDMI, good quality, perhaps a bit slow in performance?

HP Slate 7 - with memory slot, no HDMI, "Beats Audio" (better audio quality), but from reviews it has a poor screen?

ACER Iconia B1-A71 7" - Cheap not much else to go on?

LENOVO IdeaTab A2107 7" - Seems to have 3G and GPS, not really needed.

Anything else, any of these to avoid. It does not need to be the fastest, lightest, best - its just needs to work and be frustration free. :thumbsup:

figoagogo

Distinguished Member

DVD-Man

Distinguished Member
IMO the build quality on the Archos stuff is poor.

The Acer is pretty much a Nexus 7 but with a lower quality screen.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Screen on the HP Slate 7" is same resolution as the others so no better or worse...

Personally I'd say the HP is the pick of that bunch

I was leaning towards the HP (price/spec), but a review stated a dull/colourless screen...

"HP Slate 7 – Screen

The HP Slate 7 has a 7-inch screen, but its resolution is significantly lower than all the current big players. With 1,024 x 600 pixels, it's a lot less sharp than its rivals. This is the same resolution seen in the original Samsung Galaxy Tab, released all the way back in 2010.

HP was keen to big-up that its *** display offers the viewing angle benefits of an IPS screen with better brightness. However, in person what stood out were the weak-looking colours, the clearly limited resolution and its clinical tone. The Google Nexus 7 display isn't perfect, but we prefer it to the HP Slate 7's, by a significant margin.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/hp-slate-7_Tablet_review#MIQX0rtbFPihbvCx.99 "

Last edited:

Uridium

Distinguished Member
I was leaning towards the HP (price/spec), but a review stated a dull/colourless screen...

"HP Slate 7 – Screen

The HP Slate 7 has a 7-inch screen, but its resolution is significantly lower than all the current big players. With 1,024 x 600 pixels, it's a lot less sharp than its rivals. This is the same resolution seen in the original Samsung Galaxy Tab, released all the way back in 2010.

HP was keen to big-up that its *** display offers the viewing angle benefits of an IPS screen with better brightness. However, in person what stood out were the weak-looking colours, the clearly limited resolution and its clinical tone. The Google Nexus 7 display isn't perfect, but we prefer it to the HP Slate 7's, by a significant margin.

Read more at HP Slate 7 Hands-on Preview - Tablet - Trusted Reviews "

Yes it is lower Res than the current high end tablets Nexus 7 etc...but it's the same Res as all the other tablets you listed in this price range. So yes the Nexus 7 has a much better screen, but you have ruled this out as it has no storage expansion and is at least £30+ more expensive.....

Corners have obviously been cut for HP to release their 7" droid at a lower price than the competition (ASUS/Samsung/Leneov) which is rare for a brand like HP. Obviously the slightly dull screen is where the cost saving was made...

Priced at £130 i think the HP Slate 7 is well specified and well priced...I think HP will sell a lot of them.....

Last edited:

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Hi

Thanks for clearing that up. All reviews seem to point to the Nexus as the gold standard, but having the chepest 8GB option and no way to expand is very limited - it doesnt take long to fill up a device with apps, music and videos!

Out of interest why pick the HP over the Samsung? Price? Speed? I am not up on these tablets, the whole single core/dual core/quad core/1ghz/1.3ghz is confusing.

Maybe I can get to try these models in my local PCWorld, they are doing an offer on the Samsung (same price as everyone else) but with a memory card (8b), £10 of movies - ok its not much, but its free.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
CPU on the HP is faster than the Samsung.

The thing to consider with the Nexus is that the Google 'way' is to store everything in the cloud...Google Drive/Google Music etc...all stored in the cloud, download just what you need to use while offline or stream your data via 3g tethering from your smartphone or Wi-Fi; hence the reason for the lack of an expansion slot. All Nexus devices come without SD Expansion. Additionally you can connect a USB storage device using a USB On-The-Go cable and play movies etc..using an app like Nexus Media Importer.

To be honest if you can stretch to the Nexus 7 it is a great device and the Spec is WAY higher than the Samsung and the HP. It is a very fast, very high quality device. The 8Gb device has long been discontinued btw...the cheapest Nexus 7 is now the £159 16Gb version.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that.

Although I agree that they can use "cloud storage" and USB, the main reason for limiting memory is to maximise profits on the higher memory devices (charge a lot more for 16gb/32gb, vs 8gb) and perhaps to help the device become "obsolete" i.e. full, in a short time scale.

Still I fully understand what you are saying and will keep it in mind, but based on what you have said I may tip towards the HP.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
I ended up with a Asus Nexus 7 - 32GB (hardly used) with a case for £147 on these forums.

I spent more than what I really wanted to, but could help but thing the budget tablets would be slightly dissapointing or unreliable.

Thanks for the advice!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom