1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - I want a camcorder but know nothing!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Sinatra, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Sinatra

Sinatra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just become a father and want to record my son. There are so many formats of camcorder - which should I choose? I want to be able to transfer to VHS to watch on nay video recorder - want good quality picture and sound but good price too. Which format should I choose? Can you use a digital camera and transfer to VHS tape easily? How do you do it? I do have a PC but do not want to transfer to PC - just want to make tapes to watch on VHS recorder.

I appreciate any advice which could be given to this total camcorder idiot! What should I buy? Any suggested makes and models or makes and models to avoid.

Many thanks
    Clive

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The simplest way to do what you want would be to buy a VHS-C format camcorder, these record onto a minature VHS tape which can be taken out of the camcorder and put straight into an adapter which is the same size as a standard VHS cassette and popped into you VCR and played. VHS-C cameras can be purchased from around £300 upwards. You should note though that there are less and less of these around now as they are slowly being phased out in favour of DV, there are some new model VHS-C camcorders around so some manufacturers still think there is some demand for them.

Nearly all camcorders output composite video even digital ones though of course you will not get digital quality so if you TV has a scart socket you can connect the camera direct to your TV and use the camera as a VCR, or a better option if your VCR has scart or phono sockets is to record to your VCR this will allow you to 'edit' your footage by simply stopping the VCR while you run through the footage of your feet.

3. Sinatra

Sinatra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much.

As I do intend to record from cam onto VHS tape, which camera do you think would be a good buy? Do I need to buy digital or is this not worth it as I am just recording to tape.

Thanks for bothering to reply to help.

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No you do not 'HAVE' to buy digital, they tend to be at the higher price end at the moment, but if you do get 'hooked' and decide you want to edit and produce your own movies then digital is the way to go.

I'm afraid I can't recommend any specific camera, I personally have allways been a Panasonic man but equally there are people on this forum who will swear by Sony or Cannon. For your requirements I'd suggest a magazine such as 'Camcorder User' which has plenty of adverts and information. You can do it over the internet of course but I always find that a bit confusing until you have narrowed the search down a bit.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    If you want a decent picture/sound then avoid VHS-C at all costs.
    DV camcorders can be bought for only a little more than the £300 suggested by Beejaycee for a VHS-C cam and being digital is future proof (as much as it can be that is :rolleyes: ).
    A good place to start looking for models is the reviews at www.electrictown.co.uk
    Once you find a good internet site with the cam you have choosen then go to Jessups with a copy of the phone/web address/price/company name and if they sell that model they will price match the internet.

Mark.

6. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't really agree with you there Mark, I have had a VHS-C for 10 years now and two of my son-in-laws for slightly less and although they are not up to broadcast standard and are not as good as digital all three are none-the-less excellent in both picture and sound quality and all produce perfectly acceptable and watchable videos.