1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - i wanna buy either 32ga3e or 4e?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by rabbit25, Nov 21, 2004.

1. rabbit25

rabbit25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys
    I'm torn between the above 2 sharp sets - what do you think looks best ?- i personally havn't seen either in the shops, but i don't care - gonna buy anyway - cheers :)

2. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going for the 4E as I prefer the speakers on the side and find the 3E ungainly looking with the speaker on the bottom...

...however my mate has a 3E as he prefers the look of that.

It is very much personal preference so go look before you buy - please!

Phil

3. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Are you going to use a seperate AV amp if so the I think the 4 is best, cos when you take off the speakers it sits lower on the stand

4. rabbit25

rabbit25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no seperate AV amp - just the lcd as it is - plus sky + and dvd player - gonna hang either 3e or 4e on the wall - and gonna run the cables through the wall - the wall is 10'' thick, and i've got a drill bit of 17'' - this should be fun- the house will probably fall down!!

5. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer the looks of the GA3E myself, it looks really awesome, and the desk stand is really gorgeous looking at.

6. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO the 3E looks better on a stand and the 4E looks better on the wall. You should also consider that the 4E will have better stereo due to the separation of the speakers as you're not hooking it up to external ones.

7. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What differs the g3 and g4 against the GD1 models?

Are the GD1E models painted titanium or is it real aluminium chassis?

g3 and g4 models silver coated paint on plastic?

8. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GD1E has a digital tuner whereas the GA3(4)E has analogue (hence the D and the A). The GD is slimmer & lighter because it has a separate AV box for all the connections with one cable running from it to the display - designed to aid wall mounting I believe. I think they're the same apart from that (and of course the substantial price difference). Can't help you on the actual materials though.

9. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ginger, that's interesting.

I've assumed so far that the GD1E was about a thousand more expensive because it's got better display electronics -- eg anti-smearing -- as wll as the card slot and Freeview tuner. I'm on the verge of deciding on a LC-32GA4E (I prefer the speakers on the side as I'll take them off making the unit look tidy). I've yet to see one in action though, which I want to do before parting with cash.

I have seen a GD1E though, and couldn't fault the picture -- apart from compression artifacts on the digital picture; this is presumably down to the quality of the original picture and doesn't affect me anyway, since I can't get digital terrestrial where I live. However, I assumed that there must be considerable other differences between it and the 4/3E -- is this really not the case, and do you have supporting evidence?

Thanks in advance.

10. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just heard from TV & Video Direct that Sharp said that the 4E models are to be discontinued: they won't be doing any more models with the speakers on the sides of the unit. ANyone else heard this or can corroborate?

Apparently, all they'll do is empty the warehouses (which at the current rate won't take long) and ship them out and then that's it.

11. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I spoke to a Sharp techie about when I was buying my 37" unit. He confirmed that all the models were the same as far as the screen went. You were paying for the extra bit's & pieces or speaker position. I ended up with the GA4E and ditched the speakers.

12. rabbit25

rabbit25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    liteswap

i heard the same - ga4e to be discontinued. Robertsons online too have pulled the plug on the model -

tv and video direct however are expecting a batch in of approx 30 sets - of those about 10 going to customers.

after that, then no more ga4e - sharp, i have been told (from man at Tv and video dircet) concentrating efforts on ga3e and the new ga5e

13. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    thats why we have to buy now chaps the GA5E is a cut down version of the GA3E, and I will bet u the GA3E will be discontinued soon, as the GA5E looks the same however has certain features removed, probably to save cost

14. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Placed a GA4E order with flatdeal today.

Still don't have money back on my faulty Pannie but then using the credit option I have a year to sort that out!

15. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The evidence I've got is a number of posts in this forum, magazine reviews of the GD series and most of all, the Sharp website. Go to http://www.sharp.co.uk/aquos_tv/range/range.asp and compare the two models and see if you can spot the differences. If there was something else I'm sure they wouldn't be backwards at coming forwards about it. I was sorely tempted to go for the GD myself at one time assuming that it would have something similar to the Sony WEGA engine or Philips Pixel Plus, or a faster pixel response time as an upgrade from the GA series but it would appear not

16. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373

me too, if u get mine Im gonna cut your jacobs off :D

17. smartn

smartn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Ironduke - Are you sure the 5e is a cut down model? The only info I can find looks like the same but with the addition of an FM tuner.

18. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm harder than you :laugh:

But I placed my order this evening so you'll be in front of me :)

19. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    unless u ordered on the VISA, I am going with BuyLater, word is money up front is getting prefference.

20. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    actually 2 or 3 people posted on here after a word with sharp, from what I gather they have removed expensive drivel from the set like the stand tilt and a few other things to lower costs so they can aim at a lower priced market

however u said it has FM tuner which is a bonus, and I hear it also has a new picture enhancement feature, which is also in the new 30" model, but the HC review of that doesnt rate the screen any better then the GA4/3 etc.

I think the new GA5's are a rehash then say an upgrade or a step down

21. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Might well be true. I rather stupidly opted to get sent the form as well which will delay it slightly.

Ah well, either I get it for Xmas or suddenly they can't supply and 37" start to sell for £1200.

22. rabbit25

rabbit25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ordered my ga4e last night from empire direct @ 1242 + 35 delivery - not bad - plus interest free over a yr - can't go wrong!

23. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    did empire have them instock?

or are u just hopin

just read it says due soon on their site

24. rabbit25

rabbit25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not in stock - they said 2 weeks - but then it is gonna take just under a week to get my finance agreed - so i can wait. Also sky + is coming in a week , so all in all ; might time just nicely :smoke: