Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help! I think my TV is dead!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by paulpaterson, Jul 24, 2003.

1. paulpaterson

paulpaterson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. My TV is a Philips 28PW6515.

Last night when I got in Teletext didn't work so i tried a few things including re-tuning the TV. This didn't help and the menu screen froze completely. This morning I tried to turn it on but it just stays in standby mode no matter what I do. I've had it just over 2 years and had no problems at all until last night. And just to make things worse the Guarantee ran out a month ago so i'll be paying for any repairs. I've tried everything I can think of, i've unplugged everything and connected it again but to no avail.:mad:
    Are there any TV engineers out there who can tell me what's wrong as I really don't want to pay too much.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

2. Davo

Davo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I had exactly the same problem with my 28PW6515 (Is your Chassis No A10E?), just over 6 months ago - I was slightly more unlucky though, as my TV was only 18 months old...

I had a chat with a local repair bloke, and he said it was a known fault on that chassis no, and that the cost would be approx £150 (although it would take about 3-4 weeks) - unfortunately I can't recall what he said the actual fault was.

Like you, I was unhappy with this situation. I contacted the retailer, who fobbed me off. I then spent some time trying to get joy out of Philips (good luck I hear you cry!). I eventually sought some legal advice, and this is what they said:

"Your TV has not proved durable enough. The retailer is in breach of contract under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, and is therefore obliged to compensate you. Compensation would usually be the cost of repair. If the retailer refuses, contact your local trading standards department".

So, I contacted the retailer (again), and they again denied liability. I then contacted Trading Standards (remember, TS will only advise, they will not take up the case for you). They confirmed the position that the retailer was responsible for repair.

I had pretty much had enough at this point (how many of you can empathise?), so I wrote a polite (and firm) letter to the Managing Director of the retailer - I was contacted the next day, and they agreed to carry out the repair.

[/rant]

God, that felt good to get off my chest - anyway, long story short - you are within your rights to get the retailer to carry out a repair, so don't give up 'till you get it - good luck...

Davo
    [aka Mr Erin Brockovich]

3. paulpaterson

paulpaterson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Davo. Yup, it's chassis A10E.

Could you tell me the name of the retailer you bought it from. Mine was through hi-spek electronics (mail order).
    Could you tell me a little bit more on exactly why the retailer was considered responsible (I need some sort of argument) and where did you go for legal advice? Could I just go straight to trading standards or would they need some sort of 'engineers report' to back up my claim?
    Sorry for all these questions it's just I really want my TV back soon!

Thanks again

Paul

4. Davo

Davo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul,

The retailer is responsible for this because your contract is with them (you purchased the TV from them, not the manufacturer). The TV has not proved durable (i.e. most people expect a TV to last longer than 2 years); therefore they are in breach of the aforementioned Sale of Goods Act 1979.

If I were you, I'd contact your local TV repair man and explain the symptoms - there's a good chance he will be able to diagnose the fault over the phone...

Armed with this information, speak to the retailer - you never know, they may be more than happy to assist you! If you get no joy, it's time to speak to Trading Standards (I recommend you speak to the retailers local trading standards office, as they may have a "file" of similar complaints). Either way, they will advise you on your best course of action.

Remember, if you paid for the TV on a credit card, then the credit card company is jointly and severally liable under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, so bear that in mind if the retailer just won't play ball...

Davo.