1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! I only have one rgb scart on my TV

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ramlin, Jan 6, 2004.

1. ramlin

ramlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have just bought a new DVD player (a Panasonic s-75) which has a scart connector (rgb, s-video and composite). My TV is a 1998 Sony 25 inch TV which has two scarts at the back. One is, according to the Sony mannual, a 21 pin Euro connector (CENELEC standard) including audio/video input, RGB input, TV audio/video output and the other scart input, according to the mannual, is a 21 pin Euro connector (CENELEC standard) including audio/video input, S-Video input, Monitor audio/video output. The RGB scart input of my TV is currently being used to connect to my digital cable decoder, the s-video scart input of my TV is currently free. I also have a S-video input 4 pin Din at the front of the TV.
    I haven't yet taken out the player from the box (I only just bought it). Can someone advise whether I should connect the dvd player to the s-video scart at the rear of the TV or the s-video input at the front of the TV or should I buy a scart splitter or scart switchbox so that the DVD player can, together with the digital decoder, share the rgb scart (if so, could someone recommend an inexpensive scart switchbox). BTW, the scart lead I purchased with the DVD player is a Cambridge Audio Premium 2m scart cable.

Many, many thanks for your help in advance.
    Clifford

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    The usual way around this is to chain both boxes into the TV RGB scart.

ie

Digibox TV Scart to DVD Player AV2 Scart
    DVD Player TV Scart to Television AV1 Scart

But I suspect the S75 only has one scart socket and therefore can't pass through the Digibox signal.

I would try connecting the DVD player by scart to the TV AV2 to start with. Make sure the Television is set to expect S-Video on this socket and that the Panasonic S75 output is also set to S-Video.

The alternative of having the digibox on the Television AV2 would probably mean being stuck with composite video.

3. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have an S75 and a 44" Sony TV with one RGB scart and 2 svideo scarts. I have used a scart switch box (Argos £10 job) to get RGB from the S75, but I could not tell the difference between svideo and RGB, so I reverted back to using svideo for the convenience of automatic switching. I don't know if it depends on the tv, but svideo has always looked as good as RGB on my tv. Composite is obviously inferior.

4. ramlin

ramlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your quick responses.
    Bobones, out of interest ,did you try the panasonic dvd player on the rgb input of your Sony TV (without the switchbox from Argos) and, if so, was there any noticeable difference in quality between that and the s-video. Also, what is the quality of s-video like? Lastly, does your s-75 play DVDR+ or RW+?

Again many many thanks.
    Clifford

5. ramlin

ramlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your quick responses.
    Bobones, out of interest ,did you try the panasonic dvd player on the rgb input of your Sony TV (without the switchbox from Argos) and, if so, was there any noticeable difference in quality between that and the s-video. Also, what is the quality of s-video like? Lastly, does your s-75 play DVDR+ or RW+?

Again many many thanks.
    Clifford

6. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The argos switch box doesn't degrade the picture at all, but no, I can't tell the difference between RGB and s-video when connected directly to AV1 either. Theoretically, the colour bandwidth is higher with RGB, but, practically, I can't tell the difference.

My tv is a KP44PS2 RPTV and the picture quality is nothing short of superb using either RGB or s-video. Using Avia test disc or any other disc, I honestly can't tell the difference between them. There's certainly no loss of detail or extra noise. I've done split-screen comparisions on various still images with freeview and dvd sources, and again, no discernable difference in quality. I think it may be down to the individual tv though - some may be poor at RGB or vice-versa.

I've never tried + formats at all (nor dvd-rw), but I think I've read that it plays +R but not +RW (not sure). DVD-R and RAM playback is flawless

7. ramlin

ramlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bobones,
    Again, thanks for your quick reply.
    My TV is a bit older and alot smaller than yours (25 inches), but I hope that there is no material difference between s-video and rgb - I'll check, in any vent, within the next few days - I may even, if you don't mind, pick your brains if I make a pgs ear in connecting the dvd player to the TV.
    Again, thanks.
    Clifford