1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, I need more bass!!!!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sgecko, May 3, 2001.

1. sgecko

sgecko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm happy with everything in my audio system except with the tinny sound of my centre. The system consists of a Denon AVR3801 amp, B&W CDM2 stereos, B&W CDMC centre, 2 Tannoy M3 surrounds, 2 Tannoy R1 rear centres and an M&K VX7 MkII sub. When it comes to action, things sound great, but for serious scenes of dialogue, there's just not enough oomph in people's voices....adjusting the bass and treble on my amp doesn't help either. Any ideas apart from spending money I don't have???? Please email me with suggestions: sgecko@btinternet.com

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Have you set the centre and front's to small so that any bass on voices will get redirected to the Sub ?

Just an idea, seemed to work fairly well for me.

Slingshot

3. csx

csx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think he is just after more Bass out his centre speaker. Not his woofer. The only suggestion is to build another bass speaker using say an 8" driver and optimised for the frequency u are after. Filter the signals from the centre channel to the existing and built speakers. Then set your AV amp centre channel to full. Or buy a new centre, or pick up a secound hand bassy speaker instead of building one. Oh put one on top the TV and one under. The music purists will think this suggestion is crazy but what the hell ive done many crazy things over the years with my setup in the pursuit of what sounds good to me on the cheap.

4. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How low a frequency can the human voice manage with any amplitude? Not sure myself, but below 80hz or so?

I used to use a CDMC SE and I could never have said it sounded "tinny" - quite the opposite. Are you sure there's nothing wrong with it or the connections? I would check the metal straps on the rear of the speaker if you aren't bi-wiring/bi-amping. Do you have the port bunged up with an old sock? :)

5. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you set the centre to small in your amp, the sub will handle all the bass for it. As normal bass is non-directional, this'll sound 'bassier'
    I'd also follow the suggestion & check that you haven't got your connections crossed, as that too would make the speaker sound tinny.

6. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Why not just increase the volume on that channel? I have my AVC-A1SE set to +2db on the centre.
    Mark B